• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AES conference program is finally available. I thought I post it for members to see what the buzz is about and whether there are any talks of interest: https://aesny23.sched.com/

AES-23_1200x675.png.webp

You might see some familiar names there from ASR. :)

I am especially interested in the talk about B&K 5128 headphone preference curves/listening tests. Author had contacted me in advance about it.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats for being part of this prestigious program :)

Quite a few other interesting topics as well...

I see a lot of talks about "immersive" audio.
And, it's related, an interesting "Scientific milestones in the evolution of modern recording control room design".
Will we see standards for control room/ studio monitoring coming ?
That's probably unavoidable for immersive audio production. And, as discussed here several times, this would be very welcome.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AES conference program is finally available. I thought I post it for members to see what the buzz is about and whether there are any talks of interest: https://aesny23.sched.com/

AES-23_1200x675.png.webp

You might see some familiar names there from ASR. :)

I am especially interested in the talk about B&K 5128 headphone preference curves/listening tests. Author had contacted me in advance about it.
So finally a reliable target curve for 5128 measurements to be expected (besides the arbitrary shifting and tilting done by @crinacle and @Resolve) ?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seems a bit like Sony’s HT-A9 but a next step by Samsung Research (Harman?).

——

Does this have applicability beyond defects? I.E. defects when it is -10 to -20 dB but difference of high end speakers when it is -40 vs -80 dB?

——

Just seems cool
——

I have described differences in perceived height when listening to a LS3/5a in comparison to a monitor speaker like the 708P. I have also played with the Atmos HRTF to make my front heights sound even higher than they are. It would be neat to see if frequency response irregularities seen on speakers correlate with findings.

——

They talk about making a nearfield stereo sound in a large venue like a stadium. Can pick their brains about the Amie as well.

——

“Various methods of measurement in small rooms, including both static microphone and moving microphone methods are compared, and recommendations based on calibration requirements are made.”

Charles Sprinkle
——

Maybe different from OSHA data?

——

How many Atmos/Bed layer channels do we really need?

martijn86

I'm still looking through the program but one spiked my interest so far. Loudspeaker position identification using human speech directivity index is a paper on RoomEQ by putting the microphone in the speaker and listening to the listener and using neural networks to determine the shape of the room and the positioning of the speakers.

It's completely impractical but I like the thought experiment to try RoomEQ in a completely unorthodox way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One challenge with the conference is that a number of talks are concurrent. So not possible to attend all of them.

On my session, they put one of the top Pro youtubers in parallel with mine!

Geert

Major Contributor
To many interesting topic to mention. To highlight a few that regularly are topic of discussion on the forum:

Limits of the cochlear bandpass
Presents an alternative method to measure the frequency limits of our hearing, making use of music in the test signals. We know audiophiles love tests they can relate to. Spoiler alert; they already gave away some results: "Contrary to previous literature about the cochlea’s limits, the threshold for this population was 16kHz". Damn, again no hope for 'high res.' format extended bandwidth.

Capturing audience film sound preferences
Presents "an audience survey (n = 500) to better understand film audience experiences along with their preferences in terms of reproduction hardware and relative listening levels". The objective is "to develop an adaptive mixing framework in order to deliver a personalised listening experience on stationary and mobile devices". So it looks like a few people in the industry do care.

Microphone Comparison for Female R&B Vocal Recording
Presents vocal recordings done via 7 different microphones, subjectively evaluated by 17 sound engineers. Will the statistics show a clear trend, or is preference totally personal as many believe?

Detection of phase alignment and polarity in drum tracks
Phase, timing and transients are always hot topics amongst audiophiles. This study concerns a listening test of time and phase corrected recordings of a live drum to see how audible the difference is. Cliffhanger: "Evidence here questions the tacit assumption that time-shift techniques have the claimed influence to greatly improve, or even appreciably alter, the observed quality of a drum mix".

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Sorry for the jake, but you have already 'doof' in your (user) name...
'Doof' means deaf, ' Stokdoof' means completely deaf. So don't think audio is of much interest to them :D.

Jim777

Forum Donor
This is great to see, hopefully a wake up call for some of the big audio electronics companies.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good luck with your presentations all!

Btw, Genelec will have a complete immersive setup in room 3D01 featuring their new 8381’s …would love to hear any subjective thoughts if anyone going there has a chance to experience it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you planning to buy one ?
No. Just want to see a target curve for it that is based on listening tests than the random one people have cooked up.

Top Bottom