• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Product of the year?

witchdoctor

It is waaaaay too commercial, how do you "measure" a product of the year? Customer satisfaction? Product sales? Likes on Amazon??

Reactions: PSO

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, if Topping L30 is a no-brainer than there will be pressure to have a most-improved or comeback vendor of the year, which would be Schiit.

Then we can name the annual awards, ASR's Top Sh!t.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Neumann KH 310 A.

Hits me right in my speaker libido with the waveguided tweeter, dome midrange, sealed enclosure, high output, excellent directivity, low distortion and competitive price.

Was also one of the more popular speaker threads that caused no serious disagreements or arguments among members.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it is about sound quality it would have to be from the speakers, IMO.
However good (or bad) the DACs are 99% of them will all be audibly transparent, so will all the powerful enough amps.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, like every member listened to all 300 products? How could that be possible?
Ummm, so the objective site is going to go by subjective voting?

witchdoctor

Well, if Topping L30 is a no-brainer than there will be pressure to have a most-improved or comeback vendor of the year, which would be Schiit.

Then we can name the annual awards, ASR's Top Sh!t.

and the losers could be "Tough Shit" :)

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
and the losers could be "Tough Shit" :)
Can't resist a poop joke

products that promise TOTL performance and don't deliver will be called 'Constipated'

Edit: I will propose Neumann KH80 just to piss off Amir. Jokes aside, if I remember correctly they discussed the results with Amir and managed to resolve the issues to get to the bottom of the differences between their specs and Amir's measurement. Not only did they do what a lot of other companies don't, but it also furthered my knowledge regarding temperature and driver behavior.

Last edited:

NDRQ

The Smsl Sh-9 also worth mentioning.
Balanced THX AAA amp, with nice display and finally a stepped attanuator that gives us perfect channel balance.
Dont remember too much amp that had stepped attenuator for volume control and usually many amp has more or less channel balance problem.

Btw we can make different categories for budget stuff and for higher end stuffs with more functions&power etc.
Though many product are close to each other, hard to pick one for winner.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Poll for each category (maybe a Google Form instead of multiple threads)

DAC
HP amp
DAC + HP amp combo
DAC + speaker amp + HP amp combo
Speaker amp
AVR
Speaker (maybe broken into price brackets)

As for stuff like Best DAC, it of course shouldn’t be the highest SINAD, but a combination of price, looks, etc.

I would also suggest multiple choice over a single vote.

Universal Cereal Bus

I agree with the concerns about a Product(s) of the Year award or list. Those are meant for commercial publications. It's a low-effort, easy money article to write; get lots of views for something the intern puts together. That's (IMO) not the purpose of ASR.

The spirit of the original question is valid, though. How to celebrate the year and recognize what is significant in the minds of the community?

For that, I suggest a "year in review" type of post. They are common on subreddits and typically involve a lot community feedback and website analytics. The focus is on the output and interests of the community, based on objective numbers and non-official opinions. This avoids any perception of commercial bias or favoritism.

EDIT: Year in Reviews are a lot of work, which Amir probably has no time for. Fortunately, almost all of it can be completed by any admin with sufficient access.

wasnotwasnotwas

Nevermind the article, poll or awards. There ain't no party like an ASR socially distanced after show party. AMIRITE?!

wasnotwasnotwas

Nevermind the article, poll or awards. There ain't no party like an ASR socially distanced after show party. AMIRITE?!
Maybe all the online headfi/hifi forums and sites could have a joint do? Let's get all the beefs settled with some good ole fashioned dance battles.

witchdoctor

Ummm, so the objective site is going to go by subjective voting?

Esa
I agree with the concerns about a Product(s) of the Year award or list. Those are meant for commercial publications. It's a low-effort, easy money article to write; get lots of views for something the intern puts together. That's (IMO) not the purpose of ASR.

The spirit of the original question is valid, though. How to celebrate the year and recognize what is significant in the minds of the community?

For that, I suggest a "year in review" type of post. They are common on subreddits and typically involve a lot community feedback and website analytics. The focus is on the output and interests of the community, based on objective numbers and non-official opinions. This avoids any perception of commercial bias or favoritism.

EDIT: Year in Reviews are a lot of work, which Amir probably has no time for. Fortunately, almost all of it can be completed by any admin with sufficient access.
+1

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right - and having it be member's choice shows exactly how ASR is different by highlighting the lack of commercial interest.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On that note, I'd be more in favor of a "Member's Choice" award. Reason being exactly as the name implies. Product of the Year needs criteria and everyone thinks differently about the products and why they may or not care about them.

Top Bottom