• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The population of experts is increasing in all areas/topics of ASR.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, if you're an expert, you have to have a lot of patience. Mr. Toole and Mr. Olive, and even regular expert members here has to have it. And I really appreciate them for it.

Imagine repeat the same arguments for more than 50 years to the same "experts" knowing that it is a waste of digital ink. But they do it all the same.
Well, the true big giant technical experts like Toole & Olive aren't on here everyday posting, and probably rightly so, therefore they just pick & choose where & when they reply or post - which is the same for anyone who can offer information or learning - there's users on this site that pick & choose who they help & what discussions they choose to enter and will let other things go under their radar even if they don't agree or think someone has something to learn. I genuinely think there are a good number (large number even) of individuals that have absorbed some good fundamentals in both speakers / headphones / electronics, etc, and they'll just naturally spread the load between them on this site - not in a coordinated way, just by the reality that one person can't help all of the people all the time, but all the people can help most of the people most of the time, lol!

egellings

Major Contributor
I am noticing the level of discussion in all areas of topical/subject matter here @ ASR is really increasing due to ASR attracting many more "experts" than we even had not long ago. Some of the subject matter is definitely advanced expert stuff and is impressive that ASR and @amirm has created this place of sanity and advancement. The speaker gurus are definitely going for it and all the other areas have some mighty fine contributions in discussion too. To see what this place becomes in several years will be intriguing for sure.
Why the quotes around "experts"? I am leery of the term, since often, 'ex' is just a has-been and a 'spurt' is just a drip under pressure. I do agree that there are knowledgeable people contributing here.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're just imperfect humans like the rest of us.
Michael Levitt, 2013 Chemistry Nobel Prize, certainly deserves a second prize, this time in imperfection. His March 2020 "analysis" and "predictions" made me roll my eyes and go WTF!? The media wants experts with strong, authoritative opinions. Many experts assume that anything that comes to their mind is correct and authoritative by default.
The perfect recipe for a big mess cake.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the quotes around "experts"? I am leery of the term, since often, 'ex' is just a has-been and a 'spurt' is just a drip under pressure. I do agree that there are knowledgeable people contributing here.
I just thought it would emphasize the sentence more. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed the experts stuff and removed the quotation marks. You are correct it looks awkward. :D

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Experts become a problem when they get outside of their field of expertise.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
now -- if you'd like to see the musings of some of the other kind of "experts" (you know, the ones for whom the double quote marks represent facetiousness ;) ), here's a fun read.

(the topic is improvements to legacy Polk loudspeakers, in full disclosure)
Apparently this was put down the Memory Hole.

Trell

Major Contributor
now -- if you'd like to see the musings of some of the other kind of "experts" (you know, the ones for whom the double quote marks represent facetiousness ;) ), here's a fun read.

(the topic is improvements to legacy Polk loudspeakers, in full disclosure)

The link is dead now.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
There are special challenges associated with online forums that require not only technical expertise. The constrained format of posts can work well for simple inquiries, but often it's necessary to over-simplify explanations to fit. This can lead to a false image.

Anonymity in forums can also be a concern. While you may be able to estimate the competence of some individuals through longer interactions, it's not always possible.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oh, on topic for this thread (in a way), this was posted a day or so ago at www.hifihaven.org
I'd be happy to offer some opinions on this word (of course)... :cool:

get_attachment_url

badspeakerdesigner

This is legit the only audio site that I can tolerate anymore, and it's because there's actual smart people here. Sure it's a public space so you get your share of turds but it generally seems to just be people having bad days. Places like reddits audio subs, you can run into people with serious behavioral issues and the subs are basically misinformation machines churning out endless stupidity. It feels like a lot of places are going backwards but this place seems to mostly progress forward.

I mean come on where else can you go and talk to the people who did the research we base so many of our experiences on? Where else can you see ground up products show off their development stages and interact with customers directly? This place and it's experts, be it real or in quotes has sent my level of audio knowledge to the stratosphere.

Now if we could I'd like to get back to arguing about micro-dynamics and stuff.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's your lucky day.

Ok, fun to see one of the forum experts in action. Also looks like an informative video (so far). I've had to pause and backtrack after it recommends watching the 2014 presentation "What is dynamic range?" first, so to save other curious neophytes the minor bit of clicking and scrolling I just did, here's that one:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My problem is I need someone just a little smarter than me or I cannot learn from them. Some of our experts are too smart for me to follow. Also with an electronics education, but no EE. Still a good problem to have. As long as I only lurk in those threads nobody can know for certain how much I don't know.
Your OK, you know what you don't know .

It's all the folks that really don't know what they don't know that are the danger.

Top Bottom