• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Product of the year?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Similar to how many websites declare their products of the year, should ASR have a product of the year (maybe by category) based on the tests here ? Could be done by poll or @amirm decides based on his tests throughout the year ?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are talking about nearly 300 products tested! Would be quite tough to pick one. But I am open to nominations.
Okto DAC8 Pro
Genelec 8030C

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We would have to define the criteria.

When I think of a "product of the year", I think of something that either broke new ground for the price, or just broke new ground, period. Something that began a new trend or changed the way we thought. So not simply something that came in late to the party with perfect performance and a high price.

And if it's "of the year", does that mean it had to be released in 2020, or is it anything that was reviewed in 2020?

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Those websites are sponsored. They are marketing outlets in essence. They announce such a list as part of the marketing scheme. AFAIK ASR is not bought and paid for, so there is really no point in making such a list.

That being said, If I had to pick one product, I would pick the Topping L30. I think if we run a keyword analysis on this forum, the L30 is very likely one of the most frequently mentioned products this year.

escalibur

We are talking about nearly 300 products tested! Would be quite tough to pick one. But I am open to nominations.
Topping L30. The End. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
L30 is out of this world indeed, also gets my vote.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I advice not to do this. People should read the reviews and make up their own mind instead of hunting for best numbers like SINAD or speaker ratings in a table which may not have much meaning in their specific use case. A PotY award would just push such ill behavior.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In hindsight, it does seem like nominating a product like this might come across as forwarding some commercial interests. Also some people may buy it without researching the product/reading the review, realize it doesn't suit their needs and then blame ASR.

Besides, looks like people here already know for themselves what their product of the year is ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir could name it "ASR Members' Choice for Product of the Year 2020" and step aside, so that there are no commercial interests and conflicts.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
With 300 products there’s just too many variables.

Do we vote? How? How do I know a voter is not a vendor, etc. etc.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
With 300 products there’s just too many variables.

Do we vote? How? How do I know a voter is not a vendor, etc. etc.
Easy way out is to have no official votes. Any product posted in this thread counts as "nominated" and could potentially be a "winner" of the "Most Favored Product" award. The winner is decided by trial by argument.

Edit: After a little while the results could be added to the first post, with short summaries about why members said they liked the product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom