• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Panthers

JoeBrooklyn

Here's another: the Coffee Mug Panther:
Parasound 4 DAX Review (8-channel DAC)

index.php

mugbot

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Any chance of some dimensions for the various panthers? It would help to put the product images into context.
I'm also open to a banana for scale ;)

Katji

Major Contributor
You mean the size/dimensions of the products? iow, Why not just go for that?

What if the [height] of the panthers varies by more than a few mm.? You going to remember them?

mugbot

Forum Donor
You mean the size/dimensions of the products? iow, Why not just go for that?

What if the [height] of the panthers varies by more than a few mm.? You going to remember them?
My post was a bit of a joke, but it would be good to know roughly how big they are - some of the equipment measured here is a little difficult to scale and manufacturers rarely use panthers as their unit of measurement.

ayane

Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-02-25 18-18-54.png
    Screenshot from 2022-02-25 18-18-54.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 171

Raindog123

Major Contributor
... and here I was gonna say that they're all scalar panthers. Dimensionless.
:cool::facepalm:

Strictly speaking, scalar and dimensionless are not the same thing. :)

All dimensionless quantities are scalars. But not all (few?) scalars are dimensionless. [Examples of dimensionless quantities are radians and dB’s, while dimensional scalars are seconds, inches, pounds (lbs)…]

…even more confusing, scalars are “single-dimensional” entities (as an opposite to multi-dimensional vectors and tensors), while dimensionless are also called “dimension one” quantities (with the “one” here referring to numerical “1”, ie without an associated physical duality or dimension.)

Go figure. :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Strictly speaking, scalar and dimensionless are not the same thing. :)

All dimensionless quantities are scalars. But not all (few?) scalars are dimensionless. [Examples of dimensionless quantities are radians and dB’s, while dimensional scalars are seconds, inches, pounds…]

…even more confusing, scalars are “single-dimensional” entities (as an opposite to multi-dimensional vectors and tensors), while dimensionless are also called “dimension one” quantities (with the “one” here referring to numerical “1”, ie without associated physical duality or dimension.)

Go figure. :)
You can probably guess, life scientist that I am, how tentatively I posted that originally on these august fora. ;)
I still think it was a pretty good line, though.

ayane

Forum Donor
while dimensional scalars are seconds, inches, pounds…
Pounds can measure force*, which is certainly not a scalar quantity. Inches can measure position**, which is also not a scalar quantity. Both of those are rank 1 tenors (vectors), whose magnitude (or some one-dimensional component) can be expressed as a scalar quantity with the same units, but the units themselves don't necessarily apply only to scalars.

It's more accurate to say that time, distance, and mass are dimensional scalars rather than the units.

*Not to be confused with pound-mass
**Inches can also measure distance or length, which is a simple way to refer to the magnitude of a position vector, which is a scalar.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Pounds measure force, which is certainly not a scalar quantity. Inches measure direction*, which is also not a scalar quantity.
I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts. Pounds measure mass, and inches measure distance, neither of which are vector quantities.

ayane

Forum Donor
I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts. Pounds measure mass, and inches measure distance, neither of which are vector quantities.
You're right that mass and distance are scalar quantities, but force and direction are not. Pounds do measure force, but confusingly there is the pound-mass unit which measures mass. I'm referring to the pound-force unit, which is what the pound traditionally and normally refers to. I hope this clears up confusion.

"Position" is a vector which describes the location of a point in space relative to another point in space. In a rectangular coordinate system, the position vector has units metre in the SI system or feet and inches in the US customary system. The vector conveys more than just distance, although both the scalar quantity of distance and the vector quantity of position have the same units. Distance is merely the magnitude of the position vector.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah, he's thinkin' of slugs.
Wait a minute -- I thought slug was the unit of mass, and pound the unit of force. :rolleyes:

ayane

Forum Donor
Yeah, he's thinkin' of slugs.
Wait a minute -- I thought slug was the unit of mass, and pound the unit of force. :rolleyes:
Pounds by default measure force, but there is a confusingly named unit called the pound-mass that measures mass. There's a similarly confusing unit called the kilogram-force which measures force
:facepalm:

But yes,

slugs -> mass (scalar)
pounds -> force (vector)
Inches -> posiiton (vector)

The magnitude of position is called distance (scalar), and the magnitude of force is called, well, "magnitude of force" (scalar).

I know this is more rigor than what is used in day-to-day life, but it's worth mentioning because the distinction matters in math and physics.

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
“Inches measure direction*, which is also not a scalar quantity…”, yah sure! Maybe in some alternative universe… :)
You guys are digging yourself in a deeper and deeper hole. Some would even say “a grave”. :)

I did mean pounds of mass (aka “lb”), that’s why I put them next to seconds and inches! But I guess, if desired, everything can be put on its head and argued about till cows come home: :)

“Pound-force should not be confused with pound-mass (lb), often simply called pound, which is a unit of mass, nor should these be confused with foot-pound (ft-lbf), a unit of energy, or pound-foot(lbf⋅ft), a unit of torque”. [From here]

ayane

Forum Donor
“Inches measure direction*, which is also not a scalar quantity…”, yah sure! Maybe in some alternative universe… :)
You guys are digging yourself in a deeper and deeper hole. Some would even say “a grave”. :)

I did mean pounds of mass (aka “lb”), that’s why I put them next to seconds and inches! But I guess, if desired, everything can be put on its head and argued about till cows come home: :)
Come on, you started it with this pedantry - and I'm pointing out lack of rigor in your explanation. Instead of arguing this further, let's talk about panthers again - I just noticed that this one wasn't posted in this thread yet:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-02-26 10-41-58.png
    Screenshot from 2022-02-26 10-41-58.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom