• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Panthers

mansr

Major Contributor
One pound is 454 grams, a mass. One pound force is the weight of one pound in (some value of) Earth gravity. Not that it really matters, it's still just a magnitude with unspecified direction.

Can we all agree that imperial units (and their colonial variants) are an abomination?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One pound is 454 grams, a mass. One pound force is the weight of one pound in (some value of) Earth gravity. Not that it really matters, it's still just a magnitude with unspecified direction.

Can we all agree that imperial units (and their colonial variants) are an abomination?
No.

For doing anything scientific metric is obviously better.

But for everyday things I want the units I am familiar with and can conceptualize without having to convert to imperial in my head.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
“Pound-force should not be confused with pound-mass (lb), often simply called pound, which is a unit of mass, nor should these be confused with foot-pound (ft-lbf), a unit of energy, or pound-foot(lbf⋅ft), a unit of torque”. [From here]
Remind me again why the US has never adopted the metric system?

;)

I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed to have precipitated this foray into dimensionality... I believe I am both at the same time: Schroedinger would've been proud :cool:
EDIT: Well -- OK -- he may or may not have been. No, wait, that's Heisenberg.
:rolleyes:

1645904204406.jpeg

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed to have precipitated this foray into dimensionality... I believe I am both at the same time: Schroedinger would've been proud :cool:

From where I sit, you have nothing to be ashamed of! I still think your initial comment was spot on - both in it’s own right and as a springboard for what I thought would be a curious observation of mine. :)

EDIT: Well, and as long as you too would not insist that time, distance and mass are ”not scalars” :) Funny part, that not only distance (in inches or meters), but also area (in square inches or meters) and volume (in cubic inches or meters) are ALL scalars! :)

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick, how many feet are there to a furlong?
I prefer to use chains...

Seriously though if someone says their room is 12 foot by 16 foot I can instantly visualise that, if they say '3.6 metres by 4.8 metres' I have to do the conversion or it's meaningless to me.

Madeintooting

Only being able to calculate in base 10 is a handicap, I'm convinced that British children became less intelligent after the currency was decimalized.
4 Pennies to a Groat,12 Pennies to a Shilling, 5 Shillings to a Crown, 20 Shillings to a Pound, 21 Shillings to a Guinea.
Coins for odd amounts such as 2 Shillings and Sixpence. (Half a Crown).
Made you think.

Heights should always be measured in "London Buses", Volumes in "Swimming Pools" or "Albert Halls", Areas in "Tennis Courts" or "Football Fields"

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only being able to calculate in base 10 is a handicap, I'm convinced that British children became less intelligent after the currency was decimalized.
4 Pennies to a Groat,12 Pennies to a Shilling, 5 Shillings to a Crown, 20 Shillings to a Pound, 21 Shillings to a Guinea.
Coins for odd amounts such as 2 Shillings and Sixpence. (Half a Crown).
Made you think.

Heights should always be measured in "London Buses", Volumes in "Swimming Pools" or "Albert Halls", Areas in "Tennis Courts" or "Football Fields"
Olympic swimming pools - let's be precise here it's a science forum ;)

For extreme heights Eifel towers (EU) or Statues of Liberty (USA) are acceptable units. For very large areas you can measure in 'Waleses' (UK) or 'Texases' (USA).

Extreme lengths should always be measured in To the moon and backs or in Number of times around the earths.

mansr

Major Contributor
Seriously though if someone says their room is 12 foot by 16 foot I can instantly visualise that, if they say '3.6 metres by 4.8 metres' I have to do the conversion or it's meaningless to me.
For most Europeans, it's the other way around.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plastic, but it's a panther alright.
PXL_20220418_185042541.jpg

JaccoW

No.

For doing anything scientific metric is obviously better.

But for everyday things I want the units I am familiar with and can conceptualize without having to convert to imperial in my head.
I recently came across a video of an American that has been living in Europe for a couple of years and he basically said that he started thinking in metric because he was just constantly exposed to it. Trying to convert it from a distance doesn't work all that well.

That's like trying to figure out nautical miles or the distance of a light year for me. Both are units that I can understand, but have absolutely no point of reference for that makes it easy for me to guess those distances.

Back to metric versus imperial;

Can anyone tell me how much a cup of butter is? Or however the hell I am supposed to get it into and out of the cup?
Cooking is better in metric. Baking is definitely better in metric. Weight is a better measurement in most recipes anyway.
The main reason why the US uses cups and spoons is because when most European kitchens started getting scales, the American frontier did not have these expensive, heavy and complex devices. So they improvised.

EDIT: Wait, this wasn't a topic about metric versus imperial?

Absolute trash.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently came across a video of an American that has been living in Europe for a couple of years and he basically said that he started thinking in metric because he was just constantly exposed to it. Trying to convert it from a distance doesn't work all that well.

That's like trying to figure out nautical miles or the distance of a light year for me. Both are units that I can understand, but have absolutely no point of reference for that makes it easy for me to guess those distances.

Back to metric versus imperial;

Can anyone tell me how much a cup of butter is? Or however the hell I am supposed to get it into and out of the cup?
Cooking is better in metric. Baking is definitely better in metric. Weight is a better measurement in most recipes anyway.
The main reason why the US uses cups and spoons is because when most European kitchens started getting scales, the American frontier did not have these expensive, heavy and complex devices. So they improvised.

EDIT: Wait, this wasn't a topic about metric versus imperial?

Absolute trash.
You need a better cook book ;-)

I was born a decade after the UK went metric. Except we didnt, really. We measure "real" distances and speed in miles/ per hour yet measure "things" in cm (yet we guesstimate in ft/ inches).

We talk about our height and weight in imperial. We got upset when they tried to make us sell milk in litres (we buy it in multiples of pints yet the label has to say both pints and litres)

If you asked me how far my TV was from my seat I might tell you it was about 8ft. Or maybe say a couple of metres (ft and yards are a far better and easier way to visualise and express distances in a room type environment- wtf is 2.43m?)

I measure my gin in ml and truly have no idea what an ounce of whisky looks like.

So yeah, howz about dem panzers!

LeShog

Just until now I thought, like an idiot, that the panther on some reviews was broken because it fell off the table and you didn’t replace it to give us a standard to confront sizes of the gear

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just until now I thought, like an idiot, that the panther on some reviews was broken because it fell off the table and you didn’t replace it to give us a standard to confront sizes of the gear
The beheaded panther used be for premier products from Britain until the head came off. The head sometimes reappears by itself in reviews. Has been replaced in that role by the soccer panther representing premier products from Europe.

Top Bottom