• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do companies review DACs but not amplifiers on ASR?

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These days I happened to look at several amplifiers of the brands that generally run on the site. I looked at both reviews on smsl DA9 and AO200, and something on Sabaj A8 and Sabaj a20a and a10a (version 2022.
I realized that none of these amps were tested on asr, unlike almost all of both smsl's and Sabaj's DAC line, this seemed very strange to me, because I imagine that as well as dacs, amirm would also reviewed the amplifiers without problems (as it does for example with Topping).
Also googling third party reviews, I realized that these amps (the smsl ones in particular) have been sent around the review to different publications to be reviewed, but apparently not to asr, which is quite strange, if consider that perhaps this site is by far the first source of advertising for low cost but high performance products of Chinese origin (often the reviews of asr are the first results on google)
This inconsistency got me thinking that MAYBE the companies that make these amps know they won't measure well and

A) they do not send them because leaving the doubt that they do not measure well is better than giving the certainty that they measure badly

B) They send the amps to Amir with a non-release agreement in case of performance and potential bad review

As far as B is concerned, I think we will never know as amir would be bound to confidentiality.
What is your opinion on this?

(following some screenshots showing that these enhancers are shipped regularly for reviews)
Screenshot_20230518_062106_com.android.chrome_edit_3157484673170283.jpg
Screenshot_20230518_062135_com.android.chrome_edit_3157470805142681.jpg
Screenshot_20230518_062211_com.android.chrome_edit_3157452968487475.jpg

Graham849

Forum Donor
I wondered about the AO200 too. However I felt comfortable with the positive coverage it got here, on blogs and youtube to buy it.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wondered about the AO200 too. However I felt comfortable with the positive coverage it got here, on blogs and youtube to buy it.
In the end I bought both the Sabaj a8, the sabaj a20a 2022 and the smsl AO 200, but clearly I have no objective evaluation tools, I can only speak of subjective sensations, but I will never know the real sinad, if the frequency response it is independent of the load, how many real watts it delivers etc etc

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like every one of these budget amps that Amir tests falls short on power. Still worth the money perhaps, but embarrassing for the company.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i feel like it up the vagaries of the company and the largesse of the actual consumer who wants to send an item to the site

my feeling about a lot of them is that *maybe* they know there's some sore point about a particular amp that could come out under testing but that is a tad 'conspiracy theory'

a fair few of these amps have rubbery figures... like 100w @ 4 ohm at <10% thd so its no surprise to me when they invariably test at 18w @ 8 ohm at realistic thd

Top Bottom