• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Art & Science in HiFi?

ctbarker32

I thought this was an interesting review of a speaker and company new to me. Guessing from the review description, these speakers probably lean more towards the pleasant sounding rather than adhearing to absolute accuracy.

There are interesting issues discussed in the review and at least for me make me wonder if there is a place for artistry as well as science in the creation of HiFi products? Please try to watch the entire review rather than watch just a minute or two and jump to conclusions.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One look at the speaker tells me that it has sharp edges and no waveguide, so the designer ignored research results of the last 25 years. That's why I didn't watch the video (waste of my time, sorry if this sounds arrogant).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I deleted Andrew's youtube channel a while back....his take on aesthetic and hifi/audiophilia....meh.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I skimmed it: I saw no technical information so much as subjective opinions, and a consideration of the speaker as a "piece of high-end furniture". So what's new here? The high-end audio market is already filled with limited production components made from exotic materials, some of it done tastefully, and some, not so much. But it's your hobby, and if that sort of thing excites you, then maybe it's worth pursuing. Me, I feel like I've been there and done that years ago, and it seemed like a big deal at the time, but ultimately I got bored and moved onto other things.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obvious (sound) design flaws aside, I also don't see what makes this notable at all compared to eg Salk's gorgeous cabinetry. I mean it looks fine but the finish/wood choice is nothing very exciting and a rectangular sharp-edged box is boring and not that hard to make.

If you want to impress me, at LEAST CNC a waveguide out of solid wood.

Haint

Sonus Faber has built a presumably successful business on artistic cabinet design and artistic FR "voicing", so there's clearly a market for arbitrary nonsense.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
One look at the speaker tells me that it has sharp edges and no waveguide, so the designer ignored research results of the last 25 years. That's why I didn't watch the video (waste of my time, sorry if this sounds arrogant).
Here we go again--dismissing any 2-way design that doesn't incorporate a wave guide without hearing the speaker, seeing any measurements, or considering what trade-offs a wave guide might entail. There are excellent speakers with wave guides. Second rate speakers with wave guides. Excellent speakers without wave guides..........

aac

Never watched but speaker on the preview doesn't look like "art" at all. Edges are sharp, gap in the veneer can be seen from a few meters.
At least make it look pretty (and 3 way, there are certain combinations of tmw that don't require waveguides and will have a constantly increasing directivity iirc).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go again--dismissing any 2-way design that doesn't incorporate a wave guide without hearing the speaker, seeing any measurements, or considering what trade-offs a wave guide might entail. There are excellent speakers with wave guides. Second rate speakers with wave guides. Excellent speakers without wave guides..........

I mean I'm sure they do exist, but there don't seem to be that many excellent 7" 2-ways with no wave guides. In the absence of measurements, it's pretty hard to be sure about anything, so people are forced to go by visual cues. So no waveguide, mediocre woodworking without even beveled edges, and a $3500/pr price tells me it's probably bad. Their website has little information other than insisting on the quality of all their components, so that doesn't help.

Considering I could buy your own BMR for $1000 less with a nicer cabinet from Salk, it's hard to see the value. Not that I expect you to be particularly critical of others' products :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonus Faber has built a presumably successful business on artistic cabinet design and artistic FR "voicing", so there's clearly a market for arbitrary nonsense.

I personally enjoyed the older Sonus Faber's designs and sound.

SFSfig3.jpg

This is the speaker I'd love to listen to, sighted biases and all.
fabef7d8653dcd622c2922e79df4f9a9.jpg

CREmoFIG3.jpg

OIP.YI5gWKIetSLBQF5rdlCu_AHaIO

If I ever hit the lottery, I'd probably try to find the Sonus Faber Stradivari just for its beauty. Interestingly, the Sony SS-AR1 has a similar curve.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I own the Elipsa SE and I know they are not perfect but they sound great in my room!

Plus I love the look, paired with a PrimaLuna tube amplifier!

I know it’s not the perfectly designed speaker or amplifier, but it’s a hobby and I just like how it sound never fatigued listening to music! The warmth of the voices are fantastic also listening to classical music recordings of violin or guitar are great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom