• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Total voters

fas42

Major Contributor
You should know this by now tim! Frank buys two of everything but sacrifices one to the gods in return for 'artifact' free listening from the remaining component.
The simple truth is that I may need to savagely hack something to get decent sound out of it - zero point to doing this for anything that's pretentious, because a huge part of the unit's value is the manufacturer's name, street cred, etc. So I use whatever happens to turn up, mainly; if I screw it up totally there's minimal loss - and there's engineer's satisfaction in making lowly items perform well beyond their nominal ability ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The simple truth is that I may need to savagely hack something to get decent sound out of it - zero point to doing this for anything that's pretentious, because a huge part of the unit's value is the manufacturer's name, street cred, etc. So I use whatever happens to turn up, mainly; if I screw it up totally there's minimal loss - and there's engineer's satisfaction in making lowly items perform well beyond their nominal ability ...
I will leave Taking the lords name in vein 'savage' to one side for now, are you saying that you don't buy two of things but instead off up existing parts of one component for ritual sacrifice?....

If there was a god this might be a effective methodology.... If..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I updated my profile with my gear.
Thanks Amir
A Norwegian forum I'm a member of has a "My system" subforum, and it's actually one of the most popular subforums on the entire site. Maybe we could do something like that here as well?
I like it, maybe we can put some thought into it. Could you post a link to that forum so I could get an idea on the general format?
TIA

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks Amir

I like it, maybe we can put some thought into it. Could you post a link to that forum so I could get an idea on the general format?
TIA

I'm actually having some trouble with that forum right now, it's slooooow. No idea what's going on. But I'll give it a try.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 : Not sure if this works? Try it out. :)

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/mitt-anlegg-og-billedtra-der/

There are a lot of cool systems there, everything from budget stuff, to mega-buck commercial, and "cost no object" DIY setups.
Thank you very much! Yes that is a very nice site, it's working well here and google's doing a decent job with the translation. The folks there seem very excited about sharing the details of their gear, etc. Not only in the My System subforum where a lot have some nice photos, etc; but I notice across the site that many include a full gear rundown in their signatures.

In any case we could have taken a number approaches but for whatever reason our current membership showed little interest in the idea. Amir did fill in his details in his profile and then Thomas did start a similar "Gear Sharing" thread, but after his entry and mine, no one else cared to get involved in that one.
http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-kit-we-bought-our-current-setups.564/
So it just doesn't look to be like something worth pursuing at this point.
Thanks Again for your response.
Cent' Anni
Sal

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I cover the basics of my rig in my sig but I don't remember any queries. So...
Well that's because it's a statement and not explicitly a point of conversation Ray... So...

I never thought a 'what's your bits and bobs' thread would be popular here but made one because of the intrest shown by two respected members...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Dynamix

Thank you very much! Yes that is a very nice site, it's working well here and google's doing a decent job with the translation. The folks there seem very excited about sharing the details of their gear, etc. Not only in the My System subforum where a lot have some nice photos, etc; but I notice across the site that many include a full gear rundown in their signatures.

In any case we could have taken a number approaches but for whatever reason our current membership showed little interest in the idea. Amir did fill in his details in his profile and then Thomas did start a similar "Gear Sharing" thread, but after his entry and mine, no one else cared to get involved in that one.
http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-kit-we-bought-our-current-setups.564/
So it just doesn't look to be like something worth pursuing at this point.
Thanks Again for your response.
Cent' Anni
Sal

Glad you liked it.

And I hadn't seen Thomas' thread. Replied.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I just visited that audio site Dynamix; very nice and relaxed atmosphere there → http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/forum

* If I register, can I type or in French or in English and google chrome will automatically translate in Norwegian?

Something was obvious; the beauty of Northern Europe countries reflect in the beautiful people and their music listening from 'unclouded' audio gear & speakers.
...Their communication, their music, and visually the cleanness in the marriage between simplicity and the surrounding nature.
Are there more women audiophiles in Norway than in America? It don't really matter anyway, I want to fly over and visit Norway. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Tim, lots of details on my blog - which is pointed to at the bottom of my posts. The actual story, so far, starts here, http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/a-more-ambitious-upgrade-part-1.html, up to part 17 at the moment.

Haven't quite done anything for quite a few months now, too many other things happening. Hopefully, will get back into it soon ...

I dropped by your blog once, Frank. I didn't get to anything more substantial than the usual "fiddling" and "tweaking" to "sort things out" that is the meat and potatoes of your posts here and at WBF, before I lost patience and bailed. If there is detail there, please give me links. Or better yet, put substance in your posts here. That would be refreshing.

Tim

fas42

Major Contributor
I dropped by your blog once, Frank. I didn't get to anything more substantial than the usual "fiddling" and "tweaking" to "sort things out" that is the meat and potatoes of your posts here and at WBF, before I lost patience and bailed. If there is detail there, please give me links. Or better yet, put substance in your posts here. That would be refreshing.

Tim
Tim, if you aren't able to hear when a system is reproducing well, as compared to not doing so, then nothing I will say can help you. I don't measure with instruments whether a system is working competently or not, I listen to it - if it is competent I don't need to do anything more, if it's not then I start troubleshooting, for which I rely mainly on a combination of experience, visual inspection and recovered technical data from the net to proceed with. This may not compute with you, but I've found it very effective, over the years.

As an example, if I were to hear to your system on a chance visit, the only thing I would be interested in is listening for what's wrong with it - this is the starting point, every time. If one is not able to put one's ego to one side, and acknowledge that the rig may not be "perfect", then you have the proverbial snow flake's chance in hell of getting anywhere fast ...

Phelonious Ponk

Tim, if you aren't able to hear when a system is reproducing well, as compared to not doing so, then nothing I will say can help you. I don't measure with instruments whether a system is working competently or not, I listen to it - if it is competent I don't need to do anything more, if it's not then I start troubleshooting, for which I rely mainly on a combination of experience, visual inspection and recovered technical data from the net to proceed with. This may not compute with you, but I've found it very effective, over the years.

As an example, if I were to hear to your system on a chance visit, the only thing I would be interested in is listening for what's wrong with it - this is the starting point, every time. If one is not able to put one's ego to one side, and acknowledge that the rig may not be "perfect", then you have the proverbial snow flake's chance in hell of getting anywhere fast ...

Another post devoid of substance. You not only don't measure, Frank, you have never, through hundreds of posts, offered anything meaningful about what you listen for and how you go about changing it. Well, other than turning off appliances, soldering plugs to inputs, and stacking bricks on top of speakers. And it's all good; I usually just skip your posts, and should know by now that any substantive questions will go unanswered, leading to the same condescending "if you aren't able to hear..."

Frank, if you came and listened to my system what you'd hear is a respectably high level of clarity and precision within my speakers' limited range. And I can easily imagine how that would sound "wrong" to you, given your reference of a home theater in a box followed by a pair of boom box speakers. You haven't tweaked to perfection, old boy. You haven't even reached the giddy heights of mid-fi. But you've talked yourself into an awful lot.

Tim

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another post devoid of substance. You not only don't measure, Frank, you have never, through hundreds of posts, offered anything meaningful about what you listen for and how you go about changing it. Well, other than turning off appliances, soldering plugs to inputs, and stacking bricks on top of speakers. And it's all good; I usually just skip your posts, and should know by now that any substantive questions will go unanswered, leading to the same condescending "if you aren't able to hear..."

Frank, if you came and listened to my system what you'd hear is a respectably high level of clarity and precision within my speakers' limited range. And I can easily imagine how that would sound "wrong" to you, given your reference of a home theater in a box followed by a pair of boom box speakers. You haven't tweaked to perfection, old boy. You haven't even reached the giddy heights of mid-fi. But you've talked yourself into an awful lot.

Tim

When I went to this web address:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkx85ez3DVxRAnpkbQEA2w

I thought the sentence at the bottom summed it up well.

This channel doesn't have any content

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FAS42,

Perhaps we could try this approach. You have said you can tell even from youtube quality audio much about the sound of a system. How about if I or some others here recorded our system sound, and let you listen and give us your evaluation of what you are hearing. Good points, weak points etc. Then there might be some common ground for communication. As it stands there isn't unless we all hear what you are hearing.

fas42

Major Contributor
Dennis, excellent thought! I have already heard some snippets from Ray's system, and also by opus111 done in this fashion - and commented on both. If you were to listen to those samples, that also adds to the discussion. Note, there is no reason to listen to compressed quality, it's easy these days to upload full microphone quality to various websites, others download these, and replay on one's "best" system ...

fas42

Major Contributor
When I went to this web address:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkx85ez3DVxRAnpkbQEA2w

I thought the sentence at the bottom summed it up well.

This channel doesn't have any content
Well, I'll be blowed! I don't know what's going on there, this might be new!! There have been quite a few viewings of individual videos, something to check out ... blasted social networking sites, :p ...

Edit: every single one of my videos has had a copyright notice applied by YouTube, could have something to do with it - but haven't worked out yet what's going on.

Edit2: No big deal, just how the channels work in YouTube unless you fiddle the settings, poor website design on their part; other uploaders have noticed this glitch also - I added probably the key video at the moment, and to see the rest click on the Videos heading ...

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dennis, excellent thought! I have already heard some snippets from Ray's system, and also by opus111 done in this fashion - and commented on both. If you were to listen to those samples, that also adds to the discussion. Note, there is no reason to listen to compressed quality, it's easy these days to upload full microphone quality to various websites, others download these, and replay on one's "best" system ...

Okay, will work on this when I have a chance. Perhaps others could as well.

In the interest of not upsetting anyone over copyrighted material, can you make your evaluation with 30 seconds worth of music?

Do you have a few preferred bits of music, perhaps I have one or more of them myself? Or at least preferred genre's of music for this purpose?

And am I right you would prefer stereo for this?

Top Bottom