• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are MBL omnidirectional speakers worth the $$$?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I was always wondering about them .
What benefits do they have over "normal" speakers?
How do they sound vs normal Speakers ?
Do they need different room treatment than that used with normal speakers ?
Are they worth their high price ?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MattHooper had one.

They measure pretty flat and with the Omni directional nature, the FR irregularities likely diminish in perception subjectively the way that is true with Bose 901’s.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If omni is your thing, they are the top of the heap.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Good for parties, but not much else.
Keith

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith

That also can be written, “they are good for audiophiles who have friends and like to listen together.” Glass half full vs half empty.

For parties, Magnepan’s are great due to the line source and 1/r vs 1/r^2 volume decay. People standing close to the speaker aren’t blasted by the sound.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That also can be written, “they are good for audiophiles who have friends and like to listen together.” Glass half full vs half empty.

For parties, Magnepan’s are great due to the line source and 1/r vs 1/r^2 volume decay. People standing close to the speaker aren’t blasted by the sound.
But when the audiophile’s friends have left the audiophile is left with sound being pumped around the room, unless the audiophile has Beolab 90s whereby at the flick of a switch they could revert to narrow beam.
Keith

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But when the audiophile’s friends have left the audiophile is left with sound being pumped around the room, unless the audiophile has Beolab 90s whereby at the flick of a switch they could revert to narrow beam.
Keith

The typical MBL owner just goes to his other room/house/system for the single seat experience. :)

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I've heard them several times at shows. I liked the sound staging on symphonic works. The high end has always been a bit hot, and the bass had a drummy quality. But I think the basic engineering is sound.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm an MBL fanboy, always wanted the 101 model, way too rich for my blood, and ended up with one of their stand mounted omnis - the MBL 121 (now discontinued).

I've written a lot about owning the MBLs so I will try not to get too detailed.

First, as to value, that's of course up to the individual. I think that if any speaker can lay claim to being higher priced, the MBLs are certainly one of those brands. They really are unique, and a product of original and proprietary design and materials almost all the way through. Not saying they justify their super high prices...but I can't imagine any of their speakers not being quite expensive all things considered.

As to their benefits: wide sweet spot in terms of even tonality, maintaining some level of imaging off axis, as well as a similar tonality off axis. The sweet spot is always of course the best for image focus/accuracy. But they were always fascinating to own, the way they didn't really change sound when you got up and walked around them.

The rest of the benefits I guess are in the eye of the beholder, as to whether you like the omni presentation.

Sound vs normal speakers? I've had quads, all manner of box speakers large and small, and like any audiophile have heard a gazillion different speakers. The MBLs "disappeared" as apparent sound sources and cast a 3 dimensional soundstage and imaging like no other speaker I've ever encountered. As we know reproduced sound doesn't normally sound indistinguishable from "real." But the MBLs often, for me, reduced that gap more than most speakers. On most good box speakers, put on a recording of a solo guitar and, yes, it can appear "right there" hanging in space between the speakers with nice clarity. Ditto for on a panel speaker. But the MBLs just took it a step further. It just sounded like a guitar had appeared in the room, in 3 dimensional space, with a sense of the instrument carved out in space that goes right 'around' the instrument. Hard to describe, but in comparison the average box speaker presentation sounds a bit more like a sonic image that is flatter, pasted against a flat background.

It made it often more effortless to get that "listening in to the recording to live voices and instruments" vibe. And if it were only an imaging trick, it would have neato, but not nearly enough to get me to want an MBL. But I found, when well dialed in, the timbral beauty and realism and sense of accuracy was almost second to none, at least as I perceived it. I've never heard such natural ultra fine grained detail - I could hear the flesh of fingers on classical guitars, not in a "hyped up" way but in the way you can just hear that if you care to listen, with someone playing right in front of you. The speakers reproduced different instruments with such specific and recognizable texture and timbre, the exact sound of a classical guitar string, vs an acoustic guitar, the sparkle of the piano keys in the upper registers, the distinct metallic "blatty" quality of horns played hard, the skin of a bongo, the wood of a wood block....I've rarely heard such surprising and believable range of instrumental tone from a speaker. It mesmerized me.

Treatment? I have a room that can be a bit on the "damped" side. I can make it livelier or more dead. I found I liked the MBLs either way, more reflections would make it sound more "live and in the room," less reflections brought out the recorded ambience/added reverb more. Ultimately I liked a balance that sounded in between - life-like vividness, but without it sounding like instruments had been crowded in to my room, but rather that the recorded acoustic/reverb took over my room and I could hear "in to the recording."

Also, I found imaging focus to be quite good in my room, not this exaggerated diffuse imaging that so many audiophiles seem to claim is endemic to omnis.

Avp1

If you need omni-directional speakers, start with Ohm, for much less money. MBL competes with Wilson and alike. Considering that large Wilson speakers allow only tiny sweet spot, MBL have there place on the market.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I suppose if you listen solely to classical and are used to sitting towards the back of the hall they may have some value but otherwise ( apart from parties) I just don’t see the point.
B&O state the Beolab 90’s omni mode is suited to ‘non critical’ listening.
Keith

DanielT

Major Contributor
Keith
For parties. Then of course there are cheaper omni alternatives.Or use all the speakers in a home theater solution at that party.:)

Speaking of parties. I live relatively close to the student housing for those studying at university. About 600 meters, thereabouts, from them. Lots of parties, especially now before it gets colder that you can still be out in the evenings and party. One thing I can say. When those students gather outside and party, it is more PA stuff with a lot of power that is used. Not exactly sophisticated cocktail parties if I do say so myself.No "nice" HiFi speakers are used then.
On the contrary, big ugly PA speakers. They clearly serve their purpose. An SPL from hell sometimes occurs. It doesn't bother me one bit, on the contrary, let the young people have fun.;):)

On the track again.About omnis. I can imagine that omnis for music with many instruments, big band jazz, large orchestras could work well. As long as you don't need to have pin point sharpness in the sound. Or rather, spreading out the sound omni way then adds more (for some) than losing the pinpoint accuracy that it entails. Also omnis to use in your home theater when watching movies. But beyond those examples, well, I'm skeptical.:rolleyes:
(seen in relation to my musical taste, what kind of sound I want)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have only listened to MBL's, I have never performed measurements on them or seen measurements. So far, 3 MBL systems - two 101's, and one 101 Extreme (their giant flagship speaker with refrigerator sized subs).

But in my opinion, absolutely YES they sound amazing. Whether it is worth >$100k is up to you, but if I had $100k (or whatever they cost these days) I would certainly own a pair. I am lucky enough to have a friend not far away who owns a pair of these. He has them set up in a giant basement with his home office in a corner of the room. What is remarkable about his system is that the sound does not change very much no matter where you are in the room - only the bass changes. The spatial qualities of the MBL's are second to none, apparent stage width is HUGE and the speakers do a remarkable disappearing act.

I did hear the 101 Extremes, but they were brand new and the owner had not set them up properly yet. Even his furniture had not arrived, so we were listening in an almost bare room with dining chairs as our seats. You can imagine what they sounded like. I was not sure if what I disliked was the room, or the speaker.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For parties. Then of course there are cheaper omni alternatives.Or use all the speakers in a home theater solution at that party.:)

Speaking of parties. I live relatively close to the student housing for those studying at university. About 600 meters, thereabouts, from them. Lots of parties, especially now before it gets colder that you can still be out in the evenings and party. One thing I can say. When those students gather outside and party, it is more PA stuff with a lot of power that is used. Not exactly sophisticated cocktail parties if I do say so myself.No "nice" HiFi speakers are used then.
On the contrary, big ugly PA speakers. They clearly serve their purpose. An SPL from hell sometimes occurs. It doesn't bother me one bit, on the contrary, let the young people have fun.;):)

On the track again.About omnis. I can imagine that omnis for music with many instruments, big band jazz, large orchestras could work well. As long as you don't need to have pin point sharpness in the sound. Or rather, spreading out the sound omni way then adds more (for some) than losing the pinpoint accuracy that it entails. Also omnis to use in your home theater when watching movies. But beyond those examples, well, I'm skeptical.:rolleyes:
(seen in relation to my musical taste, what kind of sound I want)
Way back when most frats had a couple of the big Cerwin Vegas for parties. It seemed the de facto goto for those days. There was the one with a pair of old K-horns in the corner of a wide open basement dance floor to the frat house. Talk about getting loud if needed. Proper corner placement and powered by some medium power Marantz receiver.

Top Bottom