• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone familiar with Piega?

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Found a pair of Piega TP5 speakers and thinking of purchasing although I know I shouldn't, meant to be slimming things down and got rid of everything.

However I've always wanted a listen of the Piega's, see how the ribbon implementation fares against my D.I.Y bookshelves. Plus with the TP5, they are effectively the price I'm going to have to pay for stands for the bookshelves anyway, so if they sound really good and can equal my D.I.Y bookshelves they will look better and not really cost anything extra over my original plan.

So has anyone got experience of Piega and specifically the TP5, and do these measure half decent etc etc?

Thanks in advance.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Found a pair of Piega TP5 speakers and thinking of purchasing although I know I shouldn't, meant to be slimming things down and got rid of everything.

However I've always wanted a listen of the Piega's, see how the ribbon implementation fares against my D.I.Y bookshelves. Plus with the TP5, they are effectively the price I'm going to have to pay for stands for the bookshelves anyway, so if they sound really good and can equal my D.I.Y bookshelves they will look better and not really cost anything extra over my original plan.

So has anyone got experience of Piega and specifically the TP5, and do these measure half decent etc etc?

Thanks in advance.
That’s actually one of my favorite ribbon speakers, however I’ve only heard new versions of them. 2022 was the first time I had heard them. Personally my only like about these speakers is that highs come through very well and are not sibilant.

Most ribbon tweeters or AMT anything using some form of ribbon always come off as too sib and even though that does not bother me typically on dynamic or magnetic drivers, it does create ear strain or fatigue for me even in the short run. IE an audio demo. With this brand I was good as gold.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

That’s actually one of my favorite ribbon speakers, however I’ve only heard new versions of them. 2022 was the first time I had heard them. Personally my only like about these speakers is that highs come through very well and are not sibilant.

Most ribbon tweeters or AMT anything using some form of ribbon always come off as too sib and even though that does not bother me typically on dynamic or magnetic drivers, it does create ear strain or fatigue for me even in the short run. IE an audio demo. With this brand I was good as gold.
I swear by ribbons, absolutely love them implemented correctly. AMT I haven't heard a nice one yet, I tried a few in my D.I.Y build, and some more expensive ribbons before settling on Fountek CD 2.0's. I'm only really tempted by the Piega's to compare to my D.I.Y build, haven't found anything able to topple them yet, but most stuff I've demoed alongside is dome or AMT's, not many ribbon based around for my budget. Curiosity though can be pretty expensive.

Mikig

I have been using Piega Twen for some time.

It took me some time to discover them. I have had them at home for a few years but I had always used them incorrectly and without ever giving them the opportunity to enter the main system.
Since I "promoted" them to main speaker, I have never removed them. I find that they have a very neutral sound, I would say almost elegant, if I may say so.
They are made of aluminium, and I have discovered over time that I really like this material, apparently inert, but which does not add any particular colour.
The Piega “disappear” into the room without any problem giving a pleasant sensation to the reproduction of correct placement and soundstage.
I would love to one day go for a newer, high-end Piega speaker....
they are quite "dry" but for the type of system I wanted to set up, they seem perfect. I worked a lot on the silence of the system, reducing the components to a minimum.
For now I am very satisfied, if only I had a slightly smaller room…..

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

I have been using Piega Twen for some time.

It took me some time to discover them. I have had them at home for a few years but I had always used them incorrectly and without ever giving them the opportunity to enter the main system.
Since I "promoted" them to main speaker, I have never removed them. I find that they have a very neutral sound, I would say almost elegant, if I may say so.
They are made of aluminium, and I have discovered over time that I really like this material, apparently inert, but which does not add any particular colour.
The Piega “disappear” into the room without any problem giving a pleasant sensation to the reproduction of correct placement and soundstage.
I would love to one day go for a newer, high-end Piega speaker....
they are quite "dry" but for the type of system I wanted to set up, they seem perfect. I worked a lot on the silence of the system, reducing the components to a minimum.
For now I am very satisfied, if only I had a slightly smaller room…..
'dry' is very much my kind of thing. Think that's why I prefer sealed overall with few exceptions.

If the guy gets back to me I may give them a try, they aren't expensive so it's not a massive risk, will see.

Mikig

'dry' is very much my kind of thing. Think that's why I prefer sealed overall with few exceptions.

If the guy gets back to me I may give them a try, they aren't expensive so it's not a massive risk, will see.
mine can be found on the used market at reasonable prices.
Yes, I would say that the words "dry" and “neutral” describes them quite well...
they are not "special effect" loudspeakers but perhaps precisely for this reason, over time I have learned to love them: I could say that it is a "non-existent" loudspeaker... .
perhaps the only thing I would ask for would be a pinch more bass….but you can easily fix it, if you want, with a sub or with a few pinches of EQ…

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

mine can be found on the used market at reasonable prices.
Yes, I would say that the words "dry" and “neutral” describes them quite well...
they are not "special effect" loudspeakers but perhaps precisely for this reason, over time I have learned to love them: I could say that it is a "non-existent" loudspeaker... .
perhaps the only thing I would ask for would be a pinch more bass….but you can easily fix it, if you want, with a sub or with a few pinches of EQ…
One's I'm looking at are the TP5 ones, possibly a bit more bass, although happy to use a subwoofer if needed. They intrige me in that they are very rarely seen or heard of here in the UK.

Top Bottom