• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2 Channel is of no interest to me multichannel is what I care about

I was talking about measurements. I use my AVM70 for 7.1.4, but my measurements are for the front left, right, with two subs. I could have measured the other channels too but I didn't see the need.

Subjective measurements mean little, I can tell you Dirac sounds better than Anthem's, but another person may say the opposite. At least one asr member said he preferred Audyssey's sound in his comparison with Dirac. If you are interested in which one sounds "more right" to those who have used and compared DL and ARCG, then starting a thread with polls may be a better way.

BJL

I was talking about measurements. I use my AVM70 for 7.1.4, but my measurements are for the front left, right, with two subs. I could have measured the other channels too but I didn't see the need.

Subjective measurements mean little, I can tell you Dirac sounds better than Anthem's, but another person may say the opposite. At least one asr member said he preferred Audyssey's sound in his comparison with Dirac. If you are interested in which one sounds "more right" to those who have used and compared DL and ARCG, then starting a thread with polls may be a better way.
Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough. Throughout this thread there have been various comments from Anthem owners to the effect that ARC Genesis is fine, but it requires tweaks. I mentioned Dirac Live, because using DL with various hardware I've never had to do tweaks and adjustments to get a satisfactory result. I don't have the knowledge, energy, or time to spend doing refinements or making measurements. So, perhaps, putting more precisely, are Anthem owners satisfied with ARC Genesis out of the box, just following the instructions, and without making modifications? I believe that it would be very difficult to make rigorous comparisons, but if a significant number of Anthem owners found it necessary to put time into adjusting the result, that is informative.

2 Channel is of no interest to me multichannel is what I care about
This is also a good point, because my height speakers are more efficient than my LCR and surround, I rely on the room correction system to adjust the levels properly for those and the sub, which Dirac does easily and out of the box.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough. Throughout this thread there have been various comments from Anthem owners to the effect that ARC Genesis is fine, but it requires tweaks. I mentioned Dirac Live, because using DL with various hardware I've never had to do tweaks and adjustments to get a satisfactory result. I don't have the knowledge, energy, or time to spend doing refinements or making measurements. So, perhaps, putting more precisely, are Anthem owners satisfied with ARC Genesis out of the box, just following the instructions, and without making modifications? I believe that it would be very difficult to make rigorous comparisons, but if a significant number of Anthem owners found it necessary to put time into adjusting the result, that is informative.
Your question was clear, but I thought my response was too. That is, as you quoted me, there are always two sides, subjective vs objective. On the subjective side, it means little because who are you going to believe, and that's why I also suggested perhaps doing a poll. With a poll, then you can least take (good luck trying though) a good sample size of say 20 and see how many will say yes vs no.

Edit: Your question referred to "are Anthem owners satisfied.....without making modifications?", my own specific answer is, "No", but only because of the lack of deep bass, and I am just one such "Anthem owners". Just browsing through many forum posts, I know there are many who made modifications but I don't know if we can conclude that the answer to your question is a Yes/No type.

As an example, using your criteria, that is "with ARC Genesis out of the box, just following the instructions, and without making modifications", I was satisfied (with a "but" to follow..) with ARC Genesis in terms of the overall "sound quality" but it was also unremarkable, except the deep bass seemed mostly disappeared. Then I spent hours and hours, over several days (taking rest in between to read up on forums, Anthem's instructions, Youtube videos etc., to learn as much as I could on ARCG), and the results were the same, that is, without making manual tweaks, the deep bass, that is below 50 Hz were noticeably weaker. That's my own subjective experience, so I don't know how/if that can help you. On the more objective side, I took many measurements, and they clearly confirmed what I heard was real. In a doubt blind test though, I may still fail, unlikely but possible.

Just a quick search of the topic, I found something I could quote, such as the follow post on the ARCG user thread on AVSF, from a poster who seems to have similar experience, but only to some extent as he did not say anything about the bass.

Hello everyone, I just recently purchased an Onkyo TX-RZ50 and I have just purchased an Anthem MRX 740 8k. My setup consists of Left / Right ( Polk RTIA9's ) , Center Acoustech PL-28 II, Dual Front Subs - Acoustech PL-300's, Front Height L/R Polk Audio Signature S15's, Surround Rear L/R Polk Audio Signature S15's. After conducting Dirac with the Onkyo the sound stage was clear, exceptional, wide, very spatial and clear. Everything was articulate and sounded great. This is with the stock Onkyo Microphone after a 7 position calibration with Dirac Live. After installing the MRX 740 8k , than upgraded to the most recent beta firmware , I used Anthem ARC Genesis 1.7.4, did an initial 5 position calibration with Anthem Microphone provided. The sound stage was narrow,it was more centralized and not all encompassing. The spatial sound was about 65% of that of dirac. I was not terribly impressed. Thought maybe it was a bad calibration, so I did a 10 position with Anthem Microphone. Again, much the same results, centralized and not spatial like the Onkyo with Dirac. I literally unhooked the Anthem and I am thinking about returning it. I'm reaching out here to ask for help, is there something I can do to fix this and make it more like the Onkyo or ...?

One immediate response from a helpful member there said to him:

I agree with Bob. If your sonic quality is not VASTLY better in the Anthem over the Onkyo, there are issues with your settings, configuration or speaker positions. Five positions is the optimal measurement strategy unless dealing with multiple rows or separator seating. The sub will require a setup PRIOR to running ARC, using quick measure (not REW or one other program) such that the level on the volume gain on the sub is set at 75dB with no peaks above 80.5dB, while the Anthem sub trim is at zero.

In my case though, I did all of those things Bob and Yonnette mentioned, over and over, so I know the results I got was not because of me not following instructions.

There are many posts about bass issues but those threads have hundreds of post so it is hard to sort them out. Suffice to say opinions are all over the map, so if you look at those subjective views, I don't know how that would help.

For objective measurements, you won't find too many of those on those hundred pages Anthem threads. Most, if not all, including that helpful gentleman, seem to rely only on the graphs generated by ARCG. We all know those are projected FR that are often very different from FR measured, and I have no idea how that community could rely on using such projected graphs to help tweaked each others. I spent many hours tweaking, and then measured with REW to see the effects after each change made, in order to achieved the level of smoothest I could accept, as show in my posted graphs on this thread. Those who rely on the ARCG generated graphs are probably relying on Placebo effects, in my opinion, or imagination.:)

This is also a good point, because my height speakers are more efficient than my LCR and surround, I rely on the room correction system to adjust the levels properly for those and the sub, which Dirac does easily and out of the box.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Descartes might have misunderstood my point, that is, I only measured the FL/FR and two subs, not that I use my Anthem for that purpose. I wanted to compare ARCG with Dirac DLBC so the only way I can AB compare them quickly, and both subjectively and objectively, is to use the FL+FR+Sub1+Sub2. Actually, if the RC software works good with two channel and two subs, it will work good with multichannel too.

Last edited:

jester7677

Your question was clear, but I thought my response was too. That is, as you quoted me, there are always two sides, subjective vs objective. On the subjective side, it means little because who are you going to believe, and that's why I also suggested perhaps doing a poll. With a poll, then you can least take (good luck trying though) a good sample size of say 20 and see how many will say yes vs no.

Edit: Your question referred to "are Anthem owners satisfied.....without making modifications?", my own specific answer is, "No", but only because of the lack of deep bass, and I am just one such "Anthem owners". Just browsing through many forum posts, I know there are many who made modifications but I don't know if we can conclude that the answer to your question is a Yes/No type.

As an example, using your criteria, that is "with ARC Genesis out of the box, just following the instructions, and without making modifications", I was satisfied (with a "but" to follow..) with ARC Genesis in terms of the overall "sound quality" but it was also unremarkable, except the deep bass seemed mostly disappeared. Then I spent hours and hours, over several days (taking rest in between to read up on forums, Anthem's instructions, Youtube videos etc., to learn as much as I could on ARCG), and the results were the same, that is, without making manual tweaks, the deep bass, that is below 50 Hz were noticeably weaker. That's my own subjective experience, so I don't know how/if that can help you. On the more objective side, I took many measurements, and they clearly confirmed what I heard was real. In a doubt blind test though, I may still fail, unlikely but possible.

Just a quick search of the topic, I found something I could quote, such as the follow post on the ARCG user thread on AVSF, from a poster who seems to have similar experience, but only to some extent as he did not say anything about the bass.

One immediate response from a helpful member there said to him:

In my case though, I did all of those things Bob and Yonnette mentioned, over and over, so I know the results I got was not because of me not following instructions.

There are many posts about bass issues but those threads have hundreds of post so it is hard to sort them out. Suffice to say opinions are all over the map, so if you look at those subjective views, I don't know how that would help.

For objective measurements, you won't find too many of those on those hundred pages Anthem threads. Most, if not all, including that helpful gentleman, seem to rely only on the graphs generated by ARCG. We all know those are projected FR that are often very different from FR measured, and I have no idea how that community could rely on using such projected graphs to help tweaked each others. I spent many hours tweaking, and then measured with REW to see the effects after each change made, in order to achieved the level of smoothest I could accept, as show in my posted graphs on this thread. Those who rely on the ARCG generated graphs are probably relying on Placebo effects, in my opinion, or imagination.:)

Descartes might have misunderstood my point, that is, I only measured the FL/FR and two subs, not that I use my Anthem for that purpose. I wanted to compare ARCG with Dirac DLBC so the only way I can AB compare them quickly, and both subjectively and objectively, is to use the FL+FR+Sub1+Sub2. Actually, if the RC software works good with two channel and two subs, it will work good with multichannel too.

Peng, my experience mirrors yours for sure and after investing a large amount of time with it, I came to a point where I had to either keep the unit and continue to invest time... or return it. I returned it and went back to my previous processor (Marantz AV7005). I couldn't get sufficient bass from it, required a large time investment (measure with Arc, adjust, measure with REW, adjust, REW, adjust...), and for me, wasn't worth the cost of upgrade.

1000% agree with this...

"We all know those are projected FR that are often very different from FR measured, and I have no idea how that community could rely on using such projected graphs to help tweaked each others. I spent many hours tweaking, and then measured with REW to see the effects after each change made, in order to achieved the level of smoothest I could accept, as show in my posted graphs on this thread. Those who rely on the ARCG generated graphs are probably relying on Placebo effects, in my opinion, or imagination."

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peng, my experience mirrors yours for sure and after investing a large amount of time with it, I came to a point where I had to either keep the unit and continue to invest time... or return it. I returned it and went back to my previous processor (Marantz AV7005). I couldn't get sufficient bass from it, required a large time investment (measure with Arc, adjust, measure with REW, adjust, REW, adjust...), and for me, wasn't worth the cost of upgrade.

1000% agree with this...

"We all know those are projected FR that are often very different from FR measured, and I have no idea how that community could rely on using such projected graphs to help tweaked each others. I spent many hours tweaking, and then measured with REW to see the effects after each change made, in order to achieved the level of smoothest I could accept, as show in my posted graphs on this thread. Those who rely on the ARCG generated graphs are probably relying on Placebo effects, in my opinion, or imagination."

I should add that while it is true that I have spent many hours and days tweaking, I could have stopped after just a few hours and still have decent results. The much long time I spent on was just to get some prettier looking graphs. Just want to be fair to ARCG.:) To me it is not as good as Dirac Live, or even Audyssey (with the app) if we are talking about the 20-200 Hz range, but it is quite effective for those who don't mind tweaking with the app and with the help of REW.

mclain1

Good afternoon, new to the AVM708K. im currently running 5.1 setup. I have my LCR speakers setup using XLR cables going straight to my 3ch amp. My rear Left/Right surrounds speakers are running to a separate 2ch amp using RCA cables. I have to turn my rear amp gains to max level in order to hear them. I looked through all the volume controls in ARC set to max volume. Any advice on what i can do do to avoid having to turn my rear speaker volumes sooo high to hear them?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good afternoon, new to the AVM708K. im currently running 5.1 setup. I have my LCR speakers setup using XLR cables going straight to my 3ch amp. My rear Left/Right surrounds speakers are running to a separate 2ch amp using RCA cables. I have to turn my rear amp gains to max level in order to hear them. I looked through all the volume controls in ARC set to max volume. Any advice on what i can do do to avoid having to turn my rear speaker volumes sooo high to hear them?

We may be able to help figuring that out for you if you post the ARCG settings (like that pdf file it creates), and would also like to know which amp you are using for those rear left/right surround speakers, also what speakers, or just post their impedance, sensitivity, and power handling.

incriminator

Hello Guys, i just received my AVM 70. I've done the quick presets to get it hooked up on the network via hardwired. I performed a firmware update to 2.1.197. When attempting to connect to the device via the Android app or the ARC Genesis windows app i get prompted with a msg stating the AVM 70 needs a firmware update to work with this version of ARC Genesis. I get prompted requiring a firmware update to use the android app also. Is there a fix for this?
Had to sign up to comment. Just set up an AVM 70 - same issue. Turns out you need to power-cycle the unit - then all is good in the world. Don't know what kind of genius missed that dialog box notification, or to just do the power-cycle automagically, but it had me scratching my head about what I was doing wrong. I think it may be a good idea for any firmware, or even the arc genesis configuration to power cycle as a habit. Strange - the web server on the unit indicated firmware was fine - nothing pointed to instructions to power cycle.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Had to sign up to comment. Just set up an AVM 70 - same issue. Turns out you need to power-cycle the unit - then all is good in the world. Don't know what kind of genius missed that dialog box notification, or to just do the power-cycle automagically, but it had me scratching my head about what I was doing wrong. I think it may be a good idea for any firmware, or even the arc genesis configuration to power cycle as a habit. Strange - the web server on the unit indicated firmware was fine - nothing pointed to instructions to power cycle.
Welcome to the Anthem world.

incriminator

I've been living it since the MRX300 (Just died - HDMI board, before that pre-amp board - whatever happened to electronics having a long life?). It's just frustrating that something so simple is overlooked like a message to reboot, or having it do it automagically.
Other than this issue - out of the box and network connected (wired), ARC-Genesis (5 measurements) MLP + X pattern at ear level (Didn't change height of the mic though) + phase alignment @ MLP - was pretty quick. They definitely could benefit from having actual user feedback about their experience. Some of the HTML formatting isn't the greatest. Also interesting that all the RCA connections are tin - whereas the MRX300 are all gold. Don't really care about that - prefer tin actually.
Love the virtual inputs, 4 measurements, 4 profiles, and the tweakability of ARC-Genesis. Why-oh-Why is the input switching so damn slow? makes it really hard to A-B differences between settings when you can grab a coffee in the time it takes to switch virtual inputs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been living it since the MRX300 (Just died - HDMI board, before that pre-amp board - whatever happened to electronics having a long life?). It's just frustrating that something so simple is overlooked like a message to reboot, or having it do it automagically.
Other than this issue - out of the box and network connected (wired), ARC-Genesis (5 measurements) MLP + X pattern at ear level (Didn't change height of the mic though) + phase alignment @ MLP - was pretty quick. They definitely could benefit from having actual user feedback about their experience. Some of the HTML formatting isn't the greatest. Also interesting that all the RCA connections are tin - whereas the MRX300 are all gold. Don't really care about that - prefer tin actually.
Love the virtual inputs, 4 measurements, 4 profiles, and the tweakability of ARC-Genesis. Why-oh-Why is the input switching so damn slow? makes it really hard to A-B differences between settings when you can grab a coffee in the time it takes to switch virtual inputs.
About ARCG, if you use REW, take some measurements and you might be surprised.
The predicted curved always look pretty but...

incriminator

About ARCG, if you use REW, take some measurements and you might be surprised.
The predicted curved always look pretty but...
Disclosure - the AVM70 I setup is not mine.
Is it required to power-cycle the AVM after every ARCG upload for the profiles to take effect?
I do have REW + Calibrated Microphone - It would be interesting to compare Quick Measure vs. REW.
Do you suggest measuring each channel separately and summing in REW?
I'm not going to go crazy - but some readings around the MLP to see what it is doing might provide some interesting visuals.
This system is a stereo 2.2 in a large open untreated room - 9ft ceilings, subs next to the mains. Lots of hard surfaces - Would measure a terrible RT60.
Mains are 3-way - paper cones, 62mm x 152mm planer tweeter.
It's a fully active system with pretty much unlimited headroom for a consumer/residential space.
In the limited audition - I think I preferred the ARCG limited to 500Hz - I just think the room is too shit to try to correct higher frequencies.
Prior to running ARCG - I setup PEQ filters in the subs using REW. My plan was to run MSO and tweak - but the results from REW sounded quite good.
Due to the proximity of the subs to the mains - I may try running the x-over in the 150-200Hz. Subs measured out past 200Hz.

I think a night of tweaking, music, and whisky may be in order.
Might all be a waste of time though without treating the room first. But at least there is whisky.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it required to power-cycle the AVM after every ARCG upload for the profiles to take effect?
You shouldn't have to, but if you don't some weird things (I found one recently) could happen so I would it is advisable to power cycle it after an upload, not for the reason you mentioned but to make sure no weird things happen.
I do have REW + Calibrated Microphone - It would be interesting to compare Quick Measure vs. REW.
That would be great, if you can do that and share the results. It is always nice to just run it once, use it and enjoy the music, but I found the deep bass was missing so I measured it with REW and found the issue. That may not be the case for you but unless you check, you may never know what you might have missed.
If you have time, sure. I only measure the front left and right, just to check and see how ARCG performed, versus Audyssey and Dirac.
I'm not going to go crazy - but some readings around the MLP to see what it is doing might provide some interesting visuals.
It might, it did for me...
Might all be a waste of time though without treating the room first. But at least there is whisky.
Sounds like fun...

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This system is a stereo 2.2 in a large open untreated room - 9ft ceilings, subs next to the mains. Lots of hard surfaces - Would measure a terrible RT60.
Mains are 3-way - paper cones, 62mm x 152mm planer tweeter.
It's a fully active system with pretty much unlimited headroom for a consumer/residential space.
In the limited audition - I think I preferred the ARCG limited to 500Hz - I just think the room is too shit to try to correct higher frequencies.
Prior to running ARCG - I setup PEQ filters in the subs using REW. My plan was to run MSO and tweak - but the results from REW sounded quite good.
Due to the proximity of the subs to the mains - I may try running the x-over in the 150-200Hz. Subs measured out past 200Hz.

I have a similar environment to this, with an open concept living room and glass for one wall. I am crossing my fingers that DL-ART will be able to do something to improve the RT60. I have investigated some light room treatment, but the space is just too challenging to solve completely that way.

ryaneagon

Need some advice here. I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVM 70 Processor. I figured after 30 years of mid-level AVR's It was time to jump up to separates. Now I need to figure out what Amp to get....Class AB or D. I was initially thinking of the Monolith 9-channel, 200w for the LCR, 100w for the surround and heights. I've also read many reviews on the Buckeye class D amps, also seeing they measure very well. I'll be powering Polk r700 fronts, L400, center, R100, rears, and R900 Atmos speakers. The fronts are towers (2-8" driver 3 way) and the Center is a 3-way, large speaker and both can dip down below 4ohms. Anyway, I'd love some advice on Amps from you all. Thank you

theBruce

Need some advice here. I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVM 70 Processor. I figured after 30 years of mid-level AVR's It was time to jump up to separates. Now I need to figure out what Amp to get....Class AB or D. I was initially thinking of the Monolith 9-channel, 200w for the LCR, 100w for the surround and heights. I've also read many reviews on the Buckeye class D amps, also seeing they measure very well. I'll be powering Polk r700 fronts, L400, center, R100, rears, and R900 Atmos speakers. The fronts are towers (2-8" driver 3 way) and the Center is a 3-way, large speaker and both can dip down below 4ohms. Anyway, I'd love some advice on Amps from you all. Thank you
Your back will thank you if you go Class D, that Monolith is a 100 pound monster.

I went to VTV from the Monolith 7 x 200, I honestly cannot tell which is better, both sounds great, but every time I have to move stuff around ( just bought a new stand), I am thankful my amp only weighs 25 lbs at the most.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Class D fore sure, such as buckeye's

Descartes

Major Contributor
On sale:

Or if you need more power:

ryaneagon

On sale:

Or if you need more power:
I was looking at this, along with the buckeye models, Wish the Monoprice was a 10-channel.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was looking at this, along with the buckeye models, Wish the Monoprice was a 10-channel.
A lot of people want a 1-box solution, but consider what happens if a channel dies: you are potentially out all channels while you get one repaired.
While you don't need to go all in on Monoblocks... :p
...Consider getting an Amp for your Front 3, then an amp or two for the remaining Bed Layer (Surround, Rear) and Atmos setup as needed. If you are running 5.x.4, then do a more powerful 3-channel up front, and a 6 channel for the Surrounds and Atmos, or even an 8-channel for Surround, Rear and .4 Atmos.
The Hypex Ncore MP amps that Buckeye offers are a great choice for this as you can get any combination of 2-, 4-, 6- or 8- Channel Amps in the 252 or 502 models.

Nothing against other options like Monolith, but to me it's more a matter of pragmatics and compartmentalization. *shrugs ;)

Top Bottom