• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

HiFi 5.2

Hi guys, I am having a humming issue and I have narrow it down to the AVM 70 are also own the Anthem MCA 525 GEN 2 I have the AVM 70 hooked up with XLR cables, but I do not know what to do now how to fix this humming issue as anybody else had this problem.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hi guys, I am having a humming issue and I have narrow it down to the AVM 70 are also own the Anthem MCA 525 GEN 2 I have the AVM 70 hooked up with XLR cables, but I do not know what to do now how to fix this humming issue as anybody else had this problem.
You most likely have a ground loop issue.

And those can be an absolute pain to resolve.

Typically what you want to make sure, is that all your electrically interconnected components are all referring to a common identical ground...

Sometimes you can resolve this by interconnecting all the component chassis (as the chassis are often grounded... - and that ensures a common ground)

But ground loops are pernicious - do a google search, there are a number of sites with methodical step by step instructions for identifying and hopefully resolving the issue.

HiFi 5.2

Hi guys, again thanks for all your help. I have one less problem which I have been trying to solve for three days. How do you get to subwoofers to play? I can simply not get any life out of my subwoofers, and I have speakers that need all the help they can get. The subwoofers are playing at a very low volume and even if I turn the volume up on the subwoofer, it is still very very low. Where can I fix this, thank you again for all your help.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hi guys, again thanks for all your help. I have one less problem which I have been trying to solve for three days. How do you get to subwoofers to play? I can simply not get any life out of my subwoofers, and I have speakers that need all the help they can get. The subwoofers are playing at a very low volume and even if I turn the volume up on the subwoofer, it is still very very low. Where can I fix this, thank you again for all your help.
Interesting I seem to have the same issue, I believe it is probably due to operator error!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What spl was your subwoofer at when you ran ARC? You should run quick measure to set your initial subwoofer volume before running ARC. Audio Advice recommended 75db peak level for one subwoofer and -3db down for every additional subwoofer. E.G. -72db peak for each of you have 2 subs etc.

Descartes

Major Contributor
What spl was your subwoofer at when you ran ARC? You should run quick measure to set your initial subwoofer volume before running ARC. Audio Advice recommended 75db peak level for one subwoofer and -3db down for every additional subwoofer. E.G. -72db peak for each of you have 2 subs etc.
Mine were 65 db do may be that’s the problem!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I suspect the subs were properly integrated. The desired "life" usually denotes improper integration.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mclain1

Hello guys, new to the forum. Im very interested in purchasing an AVM 70 8k. Do we know 100% certainty of which ESS dac is on the new AVM 70 8K version?

Thanks in advance!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys, new to the forum. Im very interested in purchasing an AVM 70 8k. Do we know 100% certainty of which ESS dac is on the new AVM 70 8K version?

Thanks in advance!
For the main zone, it is the ES9038Q2M. That's what Anthem support told me. The only difference between the 4K and 8K version is the HDMI board. You should ask them and see if you will get the same answer.

Descartes

Major Contributor
For the main zone, it is the ES9038Q2M. That's what Anthem support told me. The only difference between the 4K and 8K version is the HDMI board. You should ask them and see if you will get the same answer.
Here is what I have been read regarding the AVM70 vs AVM90

- HDMI board is the same 8K HDMI 2.1
- AVM70 ESS Saber 9038Q2M

- AVM 90 ESS Saber 9038 Pro

Too bad it is not the 9039 Pro!

The main difference is that "Pro" versions are 8 channel while others are 2 channel.

But if f the DAC implementation is not done well, then the ES9038Q2M could potentially sound better for two channels than a poorly implemented ES9038Pro.

Amir explained this in his review of the latest OPPO BDP-205

Last edited:

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed, but not just AVRs, AV preamp/processors too, it seems that the HDMI board(s) are the one that can be designed to be upgradable by owners. It shouldn't cost much extra to have such board(s) to use removable connectors. The rest of it should just be updated via FW.
Have you compared Audyssey and ARC? Where can I find that?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you compared Audyssey and ARC? Where can I find that?
It was a while ago so I had to use the search function too.

No smoothing, just mmp:

For multiple mp:

With smoothing and chose scale that made it look flatter, in order to compare with those who posted graphs with such tricks applied:

techsamurai

With smoothing and chose scale that made it look flatter, in order to compare with those who posted graphs with such tricks applied:

Thank you for doing that. I'd like to separate them into full frequency and under 300hz which you've done in the charts. There's only 1 chart that includes the 300hz -20khz range and the link is here. From what I can see and I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at, it seems that over 300hz, the tweaked ArcG and untweaked ArcG were pretty decent.

Just out of curiosity, what is this chart exactly? Is it all the speakers combined or the sub and LR?

It looks like ArcG's predicted response was near perfect in their reports (you mentioned pdfs) which makes sense since the software is thinking that it has applied the correction.

Using my internal visual calculator, I'd say the tweaked ArcG had 30% less variance than the untweaked ArcG in the >300hz range.

Audyssey is slightly better than the tweaked ArcG from 300hz to 5khz but then drops off dramatically and that's a concern.

It's hard to compare to Audyssey as it seems to have been tweaked. I'd be curious to see Audyssey's untweaked measurements. Did you tweak the 300+hz range for Audyssey?

It sounds like you took measurements for 5 and 7 listening positions which would have affected this. Are the positions actual seats or slight adjustments off the primary seating position?

If you actually used different positions, then I'd say the room correction over 300hz is pretty impressive. Is there a chart or measurement without any room correction to gauge the overall impact of the room correction software over 300hz?

Like the vast majority of people, I'd never take measurements so I'm at the mercy of the software.

Last edited:

techsamurai

For multiple mp:

What channels are these measurements of? I don't know what mmp stands for. ;) (is it a listening position?)

Below 100hz, I think it's fair to say that the Arc Genesis was a disaster without tweaking. It does raise the question of how bad the response would have been without Arc Genesis.

I'd never tweak it so the AVM70 would leave me and most folks with a terrible bass response.

I'd go hot on the sub with +10db but that would only fix issues up to 50-80hz.

The Audyssey is very flat up to 100hz but it's been tweaked so it's hard to tell if that's what you'd get untweaked.

From 120hz-300hz, it seems to undulate quite a bit. Audyssey seems to do a slightly better job.

Here are my conclusions based on this testing:

• It's hard to tell how good Audyssey is without tweaking
  • Audyssey can be tweaked to give better results
  • Both Arc Genesis and Audyssey seem to do a decent job over 300hz
  • Arc Genesis is a no-go for frequencies under 100hz without tweaking
  • After running calibration, get a set of frequencies 5hz increments for bass (10hz from 100hz) and measure your sub and LCR with your phone and plot them into a chart. Unless running REW is easier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom