• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier SINAD list ASR + 3rd parties

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A new champion has topped the list: the Soulution 710 amplifier (discontinued), as measured by Stereo magazine, which I only have the yearbook edition of 01-2008. Yes, it was not so great in the Stereophile measurements though.

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
I always feel like there needs to be a different measurement than distortion at some selected power (e.g @ 5W), and instead is an aggregate over the entire power band before clipping or something. Because, for instance, the Icepower modules perform on-par with many other respectable amps for the first chunk of the power band, but then start to fall apart comparatively beyond 5W. I suppose being sub-0.01% at 20W into 4 Ohms isn't terrible, but it's also not SINAD of 94 either. It's more like a SINAD of 80.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always feel like there needs to be a different measurement than distortion at some selected power (e.g @ 5W), and instead is an aggregate over the entire power band before clipping or something. Because, for instance, the Icepower modules perform on-par with many other respectable amps for the first chunk of the power band, but then start to fall apart comparatively beyond 5W. I suppose being sub-0.01% at 20W into 4 Ohms isn't terrible, but it's also not SINAD of 94 either. It's more like a SINAD of 80.
Well, there is so much a single number can do to summarize the 4 dimensions of measured performance (power x THD+N x signal frequency x output impedance).

Let's agree that SINAD at 5W 1kHz 4 ohms is a very representative measurement of real world use (moderate volume, frequency that our hearing is most sensitive, most common speaker impedance), but surely does not tell the whole story.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Ok I have migrated the data to a Google spreadsheet, let me know what you think.
227 amps now, phew!

Many thanks for this job !

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are welcome. 295 amplifiers listed now.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly I need to remove all entries from Stereo magazine as they measure THD and not THD+N, so their numbers are not comparable. I am replacing the ones I find with measurements from other sources, but many amps are leaving the list. :( Down to 230 amps now.

And Benchmark AHB2 is back on top of the rankings where it belongs.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking on adding ASR's measurements to this list in order to have the full picture in 1 unified list. My idea when building this current list was to complement ASR's list, but keeping both separate was not my goal in itself.

What do you think?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance of adding amplifier module?
Ex. Purifi 1ET400A, Ncore NC400, etc

I wish to search/sort by specific model.
I thought about it but these are not complete amplifiers, only parts. The Purifi had EVAL-1 tested and listed, but NC400 DIY kit is missing indeed. If I am to include ASR measurements into the list then it will be there with Amir's measurements. Along with some NC1200, NC2k and NC500 based amps.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well, there is so much a single number can do to summarize the 4 dimensions of measured performance (power x THD+N x signal frequency x output impedance).

McIntosh rate their amplifiers properly. Few other companies these days do.

The standard power rating, which sets a distortion number, covers all powers from 250mW to rated power and all frequencies from 20Hz-20KHz at each specified load. That one specification is the gold standard. Add a residual noise number (uV) and a frequency response deviation and you have all your bases pretty much covered.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I did not add all amplifiers measured here in ASR only a few that interested me more or that are more popular as far as I know. If anyone wishes that I add a particular one let me know.

Also changed the thread title and list name to reflect the inclusion of ASR measurements.

250 amps now.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking on adding ASR's measurements to this list in order to have the full picture in 1 unified list. My idea when building this current list was to complement ASR's list, but keeping both separate was not my goal in itself.

What do you think?
@amirm is this ok to you? All ASR entries linked to the original review post?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly I need to remove all entries from Stereo magazine as they measure THD and not THD+N, so their numbers are not comparable. I am replacing the ones I find with measurements from other sources, but many amps are leaving the list. :( Down to 230 amps now.

And Benchmark AHB2 is back on top of the rankings where it belongs.

By chance is this why the Cambridge 851W is gone now, or was it never there and I just imagined it? Only decent set of specs is from an AU mag, but they ran all tests combined with the 851E which is unfortunate

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By chance is this why the Cambridge 851W is gone now, or was it never there and I just imagined it? Only decent set of specs is from an AU mag, but they ran all tests combined with the 851E which is unfortunate
Probably, I don't recall all of the removed amps. And its SINAD was not comparable before if it was THD only, so unfortunately we have to forget about it.

Maybe you can email Cambridge and ask them for the power x THD+N graph in 4 ohms? Some manufacturers have these already and are willing to share. Although others simply ignored when I asked...

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably, I don't recall all of the removed amps. And its SINAD was not comparable before if it was THD only, so unfortunately we have to forget about it.

Maybe you can email Cambridge and ask them for the power x THD+N graph in 4 ohms? Some manufacturers have these already and are willing to share. Although others simply ignored when I asked...

i certainly will - in the meantime, here's the best I've found so far. Only 1kHz tests unfortunately - surprised that both this test and published specs for SNR and crosstalk don't appear to beat Monolith multichannel amps. Even THD seems to be neck and neck per Audioholics testing. I've been offered a great deal on each of them and have been struggling to decide, that's why it stands out to me. Not sure if Audioholics' measurements are sufficient to make your document?

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review/3

Attachments

• cambridge_audio_851e_851w_pre_power_review_test_lores.pdf
    865.6 KB · Views: 4,353
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately not, as their power x THD+N in 4 ohms starts too high in power, not at 5W as is the ASR standard.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias thanks for taking the time to put this together. A very helpful project.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I find myself scrolling that sheet very often too, it was a lot of work initially but now it's all fun. :)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Added conditional formatting for power and price so that it auto-highlights with shades of green to red. Let me know if you like it.

Top Bottom