• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier SINAD list ASR + 3rd parties

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your work in putting all these review in one table.

Concerning the Loxjie A30, you have put it at a SINAD 90 (quote: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ital-power-amplifier.16142/page-3#post-552407).
However, Amir measured it and found SINAD is at 82 (digital): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/

Also, effective power output differs.
Hi, yes, as you can see in the Source column, I used the manufacturer measurement, as it was made with an AudioPrecision and its SINAD is a little higher than Amir's. I have been using a best case scenario when measurements differ.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It would be pretty interesting to have a ranking/scatterplot of SINAD and Watts vs. $. A very laborious undertaking though

If the review data contains Watts you can do this in <5 minutes in Tableau. 2-Axis plus coloring the marks based on whatever the remaining metric is.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the review data contains Watts you can do this in <5 minutes in Tableau. 2-Axis plus coloring the marks based on whatever the remaining metric is.
If someone point me a tutorial how to automatically color code the scatter chart with a 3rd variable, power, I can try to do it.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If someone point me a tutorial how to automatically color code the scatter chart with a 3rd variable, power, I can try to do it.
Drag it on the color mark. It has to be continuous (green pill) so you get a gradient from low-high, or you can make a calculated to field make buckets and then use it as discrete (blue pill) on color to give each bucket a color. Tell me what you want to do and show me the contents of the field and I can tell you what to do.

The product has to be detail.

(I was the one that suggested using Tableau for this and getting the first steps done, but didn't have enough free time to spend on it)

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I linked everything in the 2nd tab and had to separate the power in buckets in order to create 5 series, each with its color. So it worked, in a way. :)

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I linked everything in the 2nd tab and had to separate the power in buckets in order to create 5 series, each with its color. So it worked, in a way. :)

Here is how the "confetti" chart looks now. :D I tried to use a color coding more or less from cool to hot as the power increases.

View attachment 123592
There is something going on with the x-axis? Because that doesn't look like price (do you have the product on the detai mark?). Maybe that fixes the confetti, or maybe it will just show there is no correlation.

A long time ago I made a SINAD vs price correlation graph for DAC's and that also showed no correlation :p. Maybe SINAD vs Power makes more sense and color based on price? Dealing with 3 variables is just hard to make look intuitive.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided to change back to ASR colors, meaning red is worst and blue is best. I think it looks more intuitive.

chart.jpg

There is something going on with the x-axis? Because that doesn't look like price (do you have the product on the detai mark?). Maybe that fixes the confetti, or maybe it will just show there is no correlation.

A long time ago I made a SINAD vs price correlation graph for DAC's and that also showed no correlation :p. Maybe SINAD vs Power makes more sense and color based on price? Dealing with 3 variables is just hard to make look intuitive.

There is no correlation indeed, the X axis is price alright.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Decided to change back to ASR colors, meaning red is worst and blue is best. I think it looks more intuitive.

View attachment 123594

There is no correlation indeed, the X axis is price alright.
No way so many 10000+ amplifiers were tested? Or is this not only ASR data?

Anyway if the data is correct you mainly pay for more power and higher power generally has higher SINAD.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No way so many 10000+ amplifiers were tested? Or is this not only ASR data?

Anyway if the data is correct you mainly pay for more power and higher power generally has higher SINAD.
No, read the first post: the point here is to compile data from different sources and compare them.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It would be cool to map it in a 3D space because then you have 3 axis, but I don't know how to do that :D

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The laboriousness is in gathering the data from a number of third party sites rather than the presentation.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Added a 2nd chart for high power amplifiers only (>450W) to make it easier to find them among the "confetti". :)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: GDK

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Super thanks! Adding them right now.

I see you have already updated your list with plenty of stuff from the audio.com.pl site.
Some great names and expensive amps at the bottom of the list with SINAD <70. Very interesting!!! Puts things in perspective.

Perhaps a SINAD of 70 is as inaudible as a SINAD of 80. But I cannot help raise the question, if for the same money you can buy an amplifier with better SINAD (better engineering), why not do it?

Good work Matias. Respect.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD and price have no correlation as we can see from the charts on the second tab. Crazy.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
SINAD and price have no correlation as we can see from the charts on the second tab. Crazy.

Yes it is. It makes you wonder doesn't it? Customers are 'uninformed' about such things, they buy products based on connectivity, or on what looks good, or on what feels heavy, or the brand name, or on what the dealer says, etc. etc. and the manufacturers duly oblige by creating products that have mediocre performance but beautiful aesthetics. Supply and demand. If we stop demanding these products, they will stop supplying them.

But it reminds me a little of the automobile industry. Noone cares any more about performance, steering, suspension, brakes, etc. but whether the car has a 8'' infotainment system and is i-phone compatible.

Oh well.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now 20 from the 32 amplifiers in the blue zone were designed by @Bruno Putzeys ! o_O

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Decided to add the Benchmark AHB2 mono measurement as ASR has shown it gives a good 500W in 4 ohms before limiting. With a SINAD 105 and 6.2k usd it is outstanding.

Top Bottom