• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier measurements may require improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank2

I get the feeling that, since the white noise sounds very different AND the dips in the frequency graphs are different for both amps, he did not use the exact same mic position for both amps... These dips in the higher frequency are cause by destructive interference of sound waves coming from different directions (both refections and interference between the left and right channel). He seems to interpret them as a difference in frequency response between the amps but they are actually caused by a difference in mic position/height.

SSS

Another Junk video without clear methodology. There are many non-controlled parameters when measuring an amplifier over loadspeaker via microphone. The result says nothing. Maybe the Yahama amp graph version is bad too.
I already run a test to cover what is happening here. From the review:

index.php

Look at the line in orange. it is the response at 20 Hz. See how it clips earlier. Almost every amplifier I have tested does the same thing. For a while I was noting the max power at 20 Hz.

Above is why I say you need more amplification power than you may think you do. This has nothing to do with Class D vs others. Simple fact that most music energy is at 40 Hz where speaker response is weak. So you need a lot of power to push that response to your ears.
Hm, trying to understand your statement for more power at 40 Hz. If the speaker delivers less SPL at 40 Hz then more power is only possible either when the music material has loud bass content or an equalizer enhances the bass region. Otherwise loudspeakers have more impedance due to resonance at low bass and therefore draw less current. So the amplifier provides less power.

OP
D

Djano

I get the feeling that, since the white noise sounds very different AND the dips in the frequency graphs are different for both amps, he did not use the exact same mic position for both amps... These dips in the higher frequency are cause by destructive interference of sound waves coming from different directions (both refections and interference between the left and right channel). He seems to interpret them as a difference in frequency response between the amps but they are actually caused by a difference in mic position/height.
This would be a huge methodological mistake. It seems obvious to me that the microphone should not be moved between tests.
I don't even see the point of moving it. Just plug in the other amplifier and rerun the test: why bother moving the microphone?
But, yes, it could be that...

@Holdt is right: @SimpleTheater needs to clarify this point. He was last connected wednesday, so he probably has not seen this thread he just connected!

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This would be a huge methodological mistake. It seems obvious to me that the microphone should not be moved between tests.
I don't even see the point of moving it. Just plug in the other amplifier and rerun the test: why bother moving the microphone?
But, yes, it could be that...

@Holdt is right: @SimpleTheater needs to clarify this point. He was last connected wednesday, so he probably has not seen this thread he just connected!
Nothing changed. Nothing was moved. Notice the only difference between the tests at the low range of frequency response was when pushed to 100+ dB. In the other tests they measured nearly identical. So this is an issue with the FOSI amp when pushed to its limits.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Thanks. If he was using the 32 volt supply, this is exactly what I would expect from those speakers (as others have posted above) and this level of output, based on the measurements in the review here at ASR. So this doesn't point at needing new measurements as much as it does (perhaps) to needing better ways of putting the info from the current measurements together.

ETA: I am spoiled by existing in an academic environment, but I really hate having to wade through 25 minutes of information to get what I could read in under a minute from an abstract. If the abstract is enough, then I can quickly check methodology and decide if I want to dedicate time to reading the article.
Please watch the video. 48 volt 5 amp ps.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing changed. Nothing was moved. Notice the only difference between the tests at the low range of frequency response was when pushed to 100+ dB. In the other tests they measured nearly identical. So this is an issue with the FOSI amp when pushed to its limits.

Any chance you can measure the impedance of your speakers? It would be very helpful to see impedance and phase (and maybe calculate EPDR) to get a feel for how difficult of a load they present.

Would also be great to do the same sweeps and measure the voltage at the amplifier terminals as suggested by @pma. Ideally you would do this with a voltage divider into a soundcard so you can see a detailed plot of output voltage vs frequency.

Thanks for joining in the discussion!

Michael

ta240

Major Contributor
The problem doesn't seem to me to be that the test yielded different results from those in the real environment. The tests simply omit an important aspect of the real use case, which appears entirely possible to test.....
It is the old "we don't know what we don't know". What other 'aspects' aren't being tested that we haven't realized yet.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Don't know if the Ti differs.
What is very odd to me, though, is that the white noise sounds very different through the Yamaha compared to the Fosi, even at low volume levels. Listen from 14:40 in the video:
This is strange since the response graphs look identical for low volume levels.

He routes the center channel signal to the amplifier. Maybe the high pass settings were different, I wonder. If he also has subs installed, the area below 60-80 Hz could have been produced by his subs. I don't know the guy, so can't say he would be making such mistakes.
Reason for this was that the REW tests were done with a UMIC that didn't move, but that doesn't capture audio for the video. I was using both the camera's mic and a Blue Yeti for the video. Good catch btw.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This was the Fosi V3 versus bridged HypeX NC500.

I suspect that the Fosi V3 is more reactive with reactive loads. I did NOT see this problem on my similarly conducted experiment with a microphone, which doesn’t move (though I am physically in the room and physically move which can affect reflections potentially).

My null testing was perfect in the range described here. So this suggests two things
1) My test methodology was decent. If I grossly misrecorded the two amplifiers, you would not see any matching in the null test.

2) I only saw a 2 dB difference in the bass. Again, a really clean null comparison that can be argued that it may or may not be audible but is an accurate reflection of a difference in the performance of the amp. In this case, the Fosi put out MORE bass which might suggest that it is USING UP its power reserve.

3) There is no way to make sense of the midrange/treble in my test. Any real differences are also masked by test methodology. There could be differences. There might not.

In any regard,
1) there is no free lunch. If you want a transparent amp that doesn’t have any gotcha’s, the Benchmark AHB2 has stood the test of time. Cry once, buy once.
2) The Fosi is still a superb deal. I acknowledge some reader’s concerns about the geopolitics of adding tax revenue to the CCP, but even these small issues in performance from the stand point of how it will sound is more than reasonable for the price point. A $90 amplifier seems a lot trickier than a $90 DAC.
3) I am a big proponent of testing into reactive loads, although there is no one true standard that exists which creates the challenge for even magazines like Stereophile with their one simulated load that might not reflect today’s speakers.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
There's no accusation against you. It's just a matter of whether I trust our host who does not accept advertising or someone else who is running a for profit Youtube channel. If anything, you are accusing me of bad behavior. I would not have linked that video to ASR. You don't have to be an engineer to smell fish.
Believe me, I'm not making a living on YouTube!

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Thank you ! Can we assume DC8T = DC8Ti ?
No. And there are a couple of iterations of the DC8Ti at that.

These speakers all appear to have a fairly low average impedance, and a fairly high sensitivity figure (presumably measured at 1kHz as normal).
If so, I have a problem with the fact that impedance is climbing at 50Hz-60Hz, which is precisely the moment at which the V3 starts to struggle (@voodooless said that the problem was low impedance, and not the opposite)
The V3 starts to struggle at just below 40 Hz though. I don't feel that we need the exact measurements for this model to presume that the amp is not properly driving a speaker with low impedance in the bass here.

The Yamaha is rated 190W into 4 Ohms and 220W into 2 Ohms. These are Yamaha's figures but should be reliable. No way is the Fosi going to put out 220W into 2 Ohms even with the 48W power supply. Gain on the Fosi is apparently only 26 which may further limit its ability in this situation.

I don't see what the mystery here is at all.

OP
D

Djano

It is the old "we don't know what we don't know". What other 'aspects' aren't being tested that we haven't realized yet.
The thread precisely discusses this. Feel free to read it. In fact, it seems to be measured. I only did not understand the measurments good enough
We still lack some data to confirm, but it seems very very very likely that there measurments sufficed to anticipate what happened

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Any chance you can measure the impedance of your speakers? It would be very helpful to see impedance and phase (and maybe calculate EPDR) to get a feel for how difficult of a load they present.

Would also be great to do the same sweeps and measure the voltage at the amplifier terminals as suggested by @pma. Ideally you would do this with a voltage divider into a soundcard so you can see a detailed plot of output voltage vs frequency.

Thanks for joining in the discussion!

Michael
Unfortunately I'm not setup to do this.

OP
D

Djano

I understand your concern with the time thing.
Just know that in the video description, there are timestamps for specific parts (Equipment used, etc.)
So, looking for a specific information should not take too much time.
I was able to come back to identify the speakers and do so in less than 20 seconds

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Let me add that the ONLY reason this became an issue, which I detail in the video, was I was trying to do a simple level match of the FOSI v3 with a Yamaha amp. The fact that it couldn't break 80 dB was nothing short of astonishing to me since Amir tested this at 88 watts with the 5 amp 48v ps. But that's just at 1 khz. That's when I got out the old Yamaha receiver rated at 50 watts and it blasted past 80 to 93 dB (nothing was changed except the rca cable were swapped - no mic changes, nothing).

Using music, I could definitely get the meter to go well over 100 dB, but music isn't white noise, so in the real world it may not matter to you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@SimpleTheater, do you have the WAV files of the sweep of the high SPL Fosi amp test? Would you be willing to share them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom