• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Tatteredmidnight

Is the OLED screen always on? Burnin on OLED screens is a major issue, my original SMSL M8 suffered from this and the screen became useless in under a year. Most devices with this sort of OLED screen have moved to turning the screens off after a short period of time (my lavaudio DS600 and SMSL SU-8 do this).

forlau

As far is i can see from the picture, the raspi4 has no heatsink installed. Is it possible to attach a heatsink or isn't there enough space left between the two boards to install at least a thin heatsink?

Attachments

• AlloBoss2.jpeg
    AlloBoss2.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 179

laurelsudeep

A few ways. Under the Boss2 there is a earth lug. You can connect the lug to earth of your amp. Alternatively you can connect that lug to power earth (please pay attention with anything related to AC power!!)
Hi Johan
How to earth the acrylic version of Boss 2 when powered by Dual Shanti LPS? Nirvana had a switch so it need not need it. I just upgraded to your LPS but this acrylic doesn't seem to have any earth point as the aluminium version.

baroque

Hi,
Does anyone noticed if RCA socket on Boss2 different than standard.
I have two different RCA cables, both are loose on boos2 sockets. Inner pin and outer ring both loose with my cables.
I tried to find different RCA socket close up pictures on net, one thing I can say, definitely the inner plastic insulation circle is a bit tinier than usual.
I ordered another RCA cable, it has a split pin and outer ring also has six slits, it says "Bevelled step-down design"
hopefully this would solve out my problem.

Last edited:

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
But is Allo a French company or an Indian one? If it’s Indian, maybe a cricket bat would be more appropriate!
Lolol dont be weird and stereotype :)

Haha but on a side note, great question. Everyone here is complaining about slow shipping and i got mine same day hahahaha.
They at least have some kind of assembly in India happening.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
Any samlple rate / dsd streaming restrictions?

Would you be able to use a wifi dongld via the rear usb ports?
You are able to use a wifi dongle with it. Just a headsup for people setting one up. Theres a wps button on the dongle if you buy it from them. Click it.

move to sysinfo in the menu and select that to find the address to connect to. Now what you need to do is connect to the wifi network provided by the boss 2. And go to the address from earlier on the device connecting to the boss 2’s network.

from here moode has a network tab that you can setup wifi too. If you can get so far this device is spectacular. Its just to get this far is hard. Really poor documentation!

reach out to me if youve got specific queries and ill try and help out like how this forum has helped me :)

baroque

The one i ordered from allo is loose, but i got another rca cable that came with one of my desktop speakers, which fit perfectly fine.
The new cable jus arrived and the Step-down design RCA perfectly fit to Allo Boos2 sockets, with this cable sound is better though.

TerryO

I'm liking this Headphone set-up more every day! Yesterday, I went to my buddy Renan's house and we downloaded the JRiver Software onto my computer and it made it so much easier to use compared to the rather "Clunky" software supplied with the Allo Boss2 unit. I'm having a load of fun with this set-up...:)

Last edited:

RadioBuddha

I'm liking this Headphone set-up more every day! Yesterday, I went to my buddy Renan's house and we downloaded the JRiver Software onto my computer and it made it so much easier to use compared to the rather "Clunky" software supplied with the Allo Boss2 unit. I'm having a load of fun with this set-up...:)

OK, that is interesting, I thought that you were limited to only the software choices on the Allo.com website, Moode or Dietpi+Allo, can anyone else confirm, can you use any Raspberry Pi style OS, can you use Picoreplayer with the Logitech Media Server loaded on the SD card?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Also Max2Play with LMS.
I previously used it on a Digione player so I was familiar with it. My experience is that Max2Play is a bit more user friendly than other options, but there is a small license fee.

Arun Raj S

Hi Johan
How to earth the acrylic version of Boss 2 when powered by Dual Shanti LPS? Nirvana had a switch so it need not need it. I just upgraded to your LPS but this acrylic doesn't seem to have any earth point as the aluminium version.
@johan
I also own a Boss 2 acrylic version, please let us know, how to earth the device properly?

chauphuong

Hi Johan, judging from Boss2 picture in Allo website, I just can't find the 2nd inlet to provide power separately to the DAC board as shown in the attached file?

Attachments

• ALLo BOSS2 manual with nirvana.png
    ALLo BOSS2 manual with nirvana.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 112

johan

Audio Company
Hello

Please use the RPI connector on the side of the alu case . I am checking for earthing of acrylic case

MrHifiTunes

why the 32 tones test has testsignals which double in frequency? this way you hide the second harmonic peak.
It would be better to use 32 test tones which dont mask anything
1631099310463.png

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are able to use a wifi dongle with it. Just a headsup for people setting one up. Theres a wps button on the dongle if you buy it from them. Click it.

move to sysinfo in the menu and select that to find the address to connect to. Now what you need to do is connect to the wifi network provided by the boss 2. And go to the address from earlier on the device connecting to the boss 2’s network.

from here moode has a network tab that you can setup wifi too. If you can get so far this device is spectacular. Its just to get this far is hard. Really poor documentation!

reach out to me if youve got specific queries and ill try and help out like how this forum has helped me :)

I can't get the Boss2 to work over wifi with the USB stick I ordered or without. I'm using a Mac computer. I was able to log into the Boss2 with ethernet connected and configure Wifi with Moode but the Boss2 hardware still does not accept the USB wifi stick connection and ZERO configuration instructions are provided.

This silly thing is a crossword puzzle and the posted manual is worthless as it has ZERO startup instructions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Top Bottom