• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Jazz3006

Can this be used as a general audio output for a PC without installing anything on said PC? I'm looking for a DSP/DAC/Preamp combo that I can use with both my personal and work (read: locked down for security purposes and using on VPN) laptop. I'm hoping that this will allow me to set the DSP once and have it just work, regardless of the source, and also serve as a preamp to allow for volume control, as Windows like to randomly switch to 100% volume at times...

hawkeyejw

Can this be used as a general audio output for a PC without installing anything on said PC? I'm looking for a DSP/DAC/Preamp combo that I can use with both my personal and work (read: locked down for security purposes and using on VPN) laptop. I'm hoping that this will allow me to set the DSP once and have it just work, regardless of the source, and also serve as a preamp to allow for volume control, as Windows like to randomly switch to 100% volume at times...

With this you don’t need the PC, it’s self contained. You can use it as DSP/DAC/preamp if you have Roon set up on your network. Just run the outputs from the Boss2 straight to your amp and control it from any phone, tablet, or laptop.

Jazz3006

With this you don’t need the PC, it’s self contained. You can use it as DSP/DAC/preamp if you have Roon set up on your network. Just run the outputs from the Boss2 straight to your amp and control it from any phone, tablet, or laptop.
Understood, but I want general audio output from my PC as well, since this is my PC audio system.

Madeintooting

Have you noticed any lag with this?
Not significantly, there's a buffer that you can adjust in Moode and Volumio.
Another consideration is how it's connected to your PC.
In my case I have the Boss hardwired to the router and stream music from a laptop over wifi.

What are you thinking of doing with it?
Probably wouldn't be ideal for music production.

Jazz3006

Not significantly, there's a buffer that you can adjust in Moode and Volumio.
Another consideration is how it's connected to your PC.
In my case I have the Boss hardwired to the router and stream music from a laptop over wifi.

What are you thinking of doing with it?
Probably wouldn't be ideal for music production.
I need to be able to connect to two different laptops when I switch between them and my modem placement restricts router placement (apartment), so it'd likely have to be over wifi both directions.

Madeintooting

I need to be able to connect to two different laptops when I switch between them and my modem placement restricts router placement (apartment), so it'd likely have to be over wifi both directions.

Though the pi4 it's based on does have internal wifi the aluminium case blocks much of the signal, Allo recommends using an external wifi adaptor, they do sell one but any decent one would do.

See if it works in your situation, if it's close to the router it may, if not be prepared to get a usb wifi adaptor.

Jazz3006

Though the pi4 it's based on does have internal wifi the aluminium case blocks much of the signal, Allo recommends using an external wifi adaptor, they do sell one but any decent one would do.

See if it works in your situation, if it's close to the router it may, if not be prepared to get a usb wifi adaptor.
I just don't want to spend the money only to find out I don't like the delay or something. Kind of tempting to find the Pi I already own and try out the Piano hat to get the 2.1 sound output.

Soundfy

Hi everyone, new member here who has been lurking for some time. Amazing forum!

l am investigation a setup for my attic loft. I will pickup a NAD C356cee today of which I read the pre-amp is not the best. I will only stream music. Can I connect the Boss2 directly to the power amp main in?
(My speakers are B&W 685)

johan

Audio Company
I am back from vacation ..

Yes you can connect direct to the RCA input of power amp

Soundfy

Thanks @johan . I am also a bit of a home automation nerd. Can I run/install other programs on the PI4 and still use alle the normal functions (display on the boss2, roon, etc.)?

johan

Audio Company
That depends on what software you run ...if its very intensive...then no. You will need to test .

TerryO

I added a Boss2 to my system after a close friend endorsed it. Two days isn't long enough for me to give a full endorsement, but the music playing through it to a Bottlehead HP amp and Sennheisser 580's is excellent.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
I added a Boss2 to my system after a close friend endorsed it. Two days isn't long enough for me to give a full endorsement, but the music playing through it to a Bottlehead HP amp and Sennheisser 580's is excellent.

Where did you buy Boss2? From what I saw they are out of stocks for awhile? Thanks!

Soundfy

That depends on what software you run ...if its very intensive...then no. You will need to test .

Today I receive the Boss2. I do not want to install a dedicated OS for streaming (i.e. Volumio, MoOdeaudio, etc.), because I other want to use the Pi for of other things (mediaplayer for netflix, some simple home automation scripts).
So I want to use the standard Raspberry Pi Desktop and install streaming software.
I assume the boss2 hat is supported in that OS? Such that the hat is just like a soundcard.
Anything to consider or advice for the setup?

TerryO

Where did you buy Boss2? From what I saw they are out of stocks for awhile? Thanks!

Mine was ordered and sent from India and due to various delays it took a bit more than a month before it finally arrived. Evidently they now have a Rep. in the US, so hopefully many of those problems will be resolved.

Soundfy

Today I received the Boss2 Player. Mine came with Dietpi+AlloGUI. A few tips for new owners because I found no manual:
-The remote needs AAA batteries which are not included.
-To access the Allo GUI
  1. Use the 'joystick' to get the IP adress from the Allo via 'system info'
  2. Type in that IP in a browser on the same LAN.
  3. The Allo GUI appears (if not, unplug and replug the power and try again from step 1).
  4. Use these credentials (bit weird but OK);
    1. Email Adress: [email protected]
    2. Password; allo
  5. Done! You can now stream using several services.
I have a Marantz C356cee and connected the Boss2 directly to the poweramp, not using the preamp. Works and sounds well!

Only the display is a bit offset in the housing, but I will see if thats easy to fix myself.

20210730_145807.jpg
20210730_144730.jpg

Top Bottom