• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

RadioBuddha

Gapless playback. AirPlay. I've found that RPi4 is faster and more stable than CCA, not sure if it's the ethernet, processing power or both. Depending what OS you use you can have PEQ, graphic EQ, convolution, upsampling/resampling etc.

Do you need an amp to go along with the Dac in the Allo Boss2? Right now the sound from a mid 2015 Macbook Pro, 3.5mm to RCA jacks to passive speakers sounds great, but I want the computer off when streaming Spotify or an internet radio station, and I would like to eliminate the long cable, 3.5mm to RCA from an Iphone, but I believe the Macbook Pro outputs 1 or 2 vrms, does the Allo Boss2 output any vrms, I'm not well versed in this area so if the question sounds basic, well my understanding is basic.

hawkeyejw

Do you need an amp to go along with the Dac in the Allo Boss2? Right now the sound from a mid 2015 Macbook Pro, 3.5mm to RCA jacks to passive speakers sounds great, but I want the computer off when streaming Spotify or an internet radio station, and I would like to eliminate the long cable, 3.5mm to RCA from an Iphone, but I believe the Macbook Pro outputs 1 or 2 vrms, does the Allo Boss2 output any vrms, I'm not well versed in this area so if the question sounds basic, well my understanding is basic.

I’m confused, what do you have connected to the speakers? The Boss2 outputs via RCA, not speaker terminals.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The boss 2 will give you a line signal that will need amplification and speakers.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Anyone know the final price with tax, shipped to New York, I don't see a conversion to dollars on the website or a tax/shipping calculator.

Mine was $164.90 US from Chicago Electronics Distributors shipped to Rhode Island USA several weeks ago. Problem is that they are sold out - they should be at that price.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your list adds up to around $100, what DAC could you buy separately that would be the same or similar quality to the Boss2?

If you already have a DAC you won't need anything else. If you don't, you could get a Topping E30 for $149 or something else that fits the need. This allows you to avoid $60 in shipping for the Boss2 and may offer additional features?

RadioBuddha

I’m confused, what do you have connected to the speakers? The Boss2 outputs via RCA, not speaker terminals.

3.5mm to rca cables to sony receiver to passive speakers, yes the sony is the amplifier but I'm wondering if the extra power from a Macbook Pro is the key difference over an Iphone SE as a source, the Macbook Pro sounds better, subjectively speaking of course but it presents as a fuller sound.

RadioBuddha

The boss 2 will give you a line signal that will need amplification and speakers.

I understand it needs speakers and a receiver with an amp but as a source, does it provide anything? For example, a Sangean WFR-28 internet radio provides about 1.2 watts, if you line out that radio to my amp via the RCA input on a cheap 1990's Sony receiver, it sounds perfect, to my ears anyway, makes me wonder if the DAC is that big of a deal and that the key might be in providing some extra juice via the source.

Last edited:

RadioBuddha

If you already have a DAC you won't need anything else. If you don't, you could get a Topping E30 for $149 or something else that fits the need. This allows you to avoid $60 in shipping for the Boss2 and may offer additional features?

So you are at $250, basically the same price, correct? The Allo product is already put together.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand it needs speakers and a receiver with an amp but as a source, does it provide anything? For example, a Sangean WFR-28 internet radio provides about 1.2 watts, if you line out that radio to my amp via the RCA input on a cheap 1990's Sony receiver, it sounds perfect, to my ears anyway, makes me wonder if the DAC is that big of a deal and that the key might be in providing some extra juice via the source.

I looked at the boss 2 manual and couldn’t see what the exact nominal output voltage is on the Boss 2 is, but you can assume that it will be on or around -10 dBV like most consumer gear. As the boss 2 is basically transparent at output, what really matters is the ability of whatever amplifier stage that follows to put gain on it without adding noise or distortion.

It’s unlikely that it will be sufficiently different to other modern (as opposed to vintage) sources to hear a difference attributable to the source output specifically. If it’s a phone or remote controlled internet streamer you are after, and you already have or don’t mind getting amp/speakers, the boss2 is great value.
Edit: so what I’m really saying is buy the boss 2 because you want it’s functionality rather than due to an expected difference in sound quality. I’d buy one if I was in the market for an internet streamer to feed active speakers. With a pair of cheap actives (like tannoy golds) this would make a killer affordable system.

Last edited:

hawkeyejw

3.5mm to rca cables to sony receiver to passive speakers, yes the sony is the amplifier but I'm wondering if the extra power from a Macbook Pro is the key difference over an Iphone SE as a source, the Macbook Pro sounds better, subjectively speaking of course but it presents as a fuller sound.

I went from having a laptop feeding a topping D10 to amplifier to just Boss2 feeding the amplifier with no real change in gain so it will likely be similar for you. The nice thing about the Boss2 is now my laptop doesn’t have to be connected, I can pick up an iPad or iPhone and play music from it whenever/wherever.

Madeintooting

Output of the Boss2 is switchable, 1.7 or 2.1 volts, selected either with the remote or the joggler on the front.
Mine was shipped at 1.7 as a default, so a bit quiet initially.

RadioBuddha

I went from having a laptop feeding a topping D10 to amplifier to just Boss2 feeding the amplifier with no real change in gain so it will likely be similar for you. The nice thing about the Boss2 is now my laptop doesn’t have to be connected, I can pick up an iPad or iPhone and play music from it whenever/wherever.

Thanks, that sounds promising, I assume the power consumption is low, does anyone know what it is while you are listening to music, what it is on standby? And it seems from what I am reading you don't need to raise or lower volume on the Allo, is that true?

And on one Darko video there is a digital clock on standby with the seconds counting down, actually that might be the Rasdac Mini, in any case if this product has that and you can't turn it off, that would be a dealbreaker, I hope it does not.

contium

Anyone able to get DSD from Roon to work? Mine shows it's receiving DSD but's no sound. Also, what filter settings are you using?

laurelsudeep

Got the Allo Nirvana SMPS + Allo Boss 2 (Acrylic)
This is really good piece of hardware for very affordable cost.

Thank you @amirm so much for the review. Appreciate your work a lot.
Congrats @johan and the entire team for building this amazing product. Looking forward to getting the new Allo amp whenever that releases :)

hawkeyejw

Thanks, that sounds promising, I assume the power consumption is low, does anyone know what it is while you are listening to music, what it is on standby? And it seems from what I am reading you don't need to raise or lower volume on the Allo, is that true?

And on one Darko video there is a digital clock on standby with the seconds counting down, actually that might be the Rasdac Mini, in any case if this product has that and you can't turn it off, that would be a dealbreaker, I hope it does not.

I don’t know what the power consumption is but I am able to control volume through it digitally.

FT2711

@amirm I have a Denon 4500 AVR but want better streaming quality. How can I bypass the DAC in the AVR and make this streamer a better solution? In other words, please inform which connections will help me bypass the AVR DAC and use the Allo B2 DAC for playback, please? :)

hawkeyejw

@amirm I have a Denon 4500 AVR but want better streaming quality. How can I bypass the DAC in the AVR and make this streamer a better solution? In other words, please inform which connections will help me bypass the AVR DAC and use the Allo B2 DAC for playback, please? :)

Your best bet is probably to use the CD input and pure direct mode. Not sure if that will fully bypass the internal DSP but it is the most likely way to do so if it is possible.

Gaspar74

Been using the Boss 2 for over a month I believe and I’m very very pleased with it. I currently am running two streamers both wi ty Boss dacs. One has the V 1.2 and one the Boss 2 using a linear power supply on the Boss2. I’ve had dacs costing 5x and uo amd at least to my ears it’s on par.

Top Bottom