• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

amper42

Major Contributor
Yes, a simple RaspberryPi with Moode installed will allow you to stream any music service with Airplay from your iPhone. However, you may not require the Boss2 if you already have a DAC in your receiver or have an external separate DAC/preamp combo. I was able to setup UPnP and Airplay with the items listed below for a lot less.
1. https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Model-2019-Quad-Bluetooth/dp/B07TC2BK1X
2. https://www.amazon.com/Flirc-Raspberry-Pi-Case-Silver/dp/B07WG4DW52
3. https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Power-Supply-USB-C/dp/B07TYQRXTK
4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWN9Q99
5. http://moodeaudio.org

I would only consider the Boss2 if I required a DAC Hat on the RaspberryPi. Even then the shipping cost for the Boss2 is considerable.

johan

Audio Company
Hi AndreaT

Now that you have the IP address , point your tablet/pc to it and open the GUI . Use the Networking , connect to your house WIFI , check in the GUI the output (chose Boss2) and make sure that airplay and upnp is enabled (it should be by default). On your phone if iOS...you can stream using airplay to the unit and if Android you can download an app (Bubbleupnp free) that will allow you stream most apps (it suports Tidal , Qobuz etc) by UPNP

Xelah

Hi all:
First time poster long time lurker here. After reading about the Boss2 I thought this would be a good solution for music in my wood shop. I have no internet connection at my wood shop so streaming is out of the question. What I do have is a SSD connected locally to the Boss2 with all on my flac files on it.

I did not want to use my phone as an interface because it is small and I often forget it when I go to my shop. So I picked up a cheap Kindle fire 7, stripped everything Amazon off of it to use strictly as an interface with the Boss2. I wanted something that could be carried around the shop with me it needed. I built a quick stand and connected it to my cheap shop stereo. I am very impressed with the sound from this little device.

Before taking it to my shop I had it plugged into my system at home and was pleasantly surprised.
IMG_1666.JPG

ClassicGuy

I don't need Amazon HD, but does Allo Boss2 stream Amazon Unlimited? I am looking for a streamer but looks like most of them simply don't work with any of the Amazon streaming services.

I don't have an iPhone, and I prefer not to use AirPlay. Thanks.

amper42

Major Contributor
Here are some options for Amazon HD:
Bubble UPNP will allow you to stream over UPnP with an Android device.
Audirvana allows you to stream Qobuz and Tidal via UPnP but not Amazon.
You could also connect a cable between the iPad/iPhone/Android to the USB-C connection on a DAC.
The other ways available to connect would require AirPlay.
If you have a Denon Receiver HEOS now offers Amazon support.

Last edited:

hawkeyejw

Just ordered the acrylic version as the aluminum is out of stock everywhere I looked. been reading up on this to research how to get it up and running and one question I saw raised but couldn’t find the answer was how to earth the acrylic units. Johan, any updates there? I couldn’t find the upgraded power supply in stock so I had to get the standard.

Gaspar74

What’s everyone filter settings they achieve the best sound quality from. Mine are as follows.
PHa Comp enabled
HP filter enabled
De Emphasis deactivated
NON OS Enabled

I am running a RPI4 4gb and am powering the Boss2 seperate with a LPSU.

Gaspar74

I don't need Amazon HD, but does Allo Boss2 stream Amazon Unlimited? I am looking for a streamer but looks like most of them simply don't work with any of the Amazon streaming services.

I don't have an iPhone, and I prefer not to use AirPlay. Thanks.
It will if Airplay is enabled via RopieeXL as I’m running flawlessly. It makes it a Roon endpoint allows Airplay as well as bubble pnp and even Bluetooth should you desire.

RadioBuddha

Here are some options for Amazon HD:
Bubble UPNP will allow you to stream over UPnP with an Android device.
Audirvana allows you to stream Qobuz and Tidal via UPnP but not Amazon.
You could also connect a cable between the iPad/iPhone/Android to the USB-C connection on a DAC.
The other ways available to connect would require AirPlay.
If you have a Denon Receiver HEOS now offers Amazon support.

First off, the amount of time and help this website provides is awesome, thank you for taking the time to help out beginners. If you or anyone here can help, I'm looking for a setup like the Allo Boss2 that would work well with Spotify Connect. I would like to run the native IOS Spotify App through an Iphone, not certain if Moode or Volumio or Max2Play or DietPi force you to use their app and user interface when playing Spotify.

This is not necessary but I was wondering if any of the Allo plug and play devices (or another company) utilizes an HDMI output, the purpose being to use my TV as a display for the Spotify App, I see someone above connected the Allo Boss2 to an Amazon Fire device, I would like to do the same for a TV but to the person who utilized the Fire device, what cable did you use to achieve this?

Can you power the Allo Boss2 using your usb connection on your LED TV?

Right now I'm using Spotify through an Iphone and the Iphone Lightning to 3.5mm dac, that out to a 3.5mm to rca jack to my integrated amp and passive speakers, the sound is good, but that same 3.5mm to rca jack in my mid 2015 Macbook Pro sounds better, enough that I would like to at the very least replicate that sound quality, I just don't want the laptop on every time I am streaming music, thus I'm here trying to find one of these Pi solutions.

I do realize that I could use a portable dac like a dragonfly or Helm bolt but I would rather try a Pi solution for a bunch of reasons. Thanks for your time and help.

Bamyasi

First off, the amount of time and help this website provides is awesome, thank you for taking the time to help out beginners. If you or anyone here can help, I'm looking for a setup like the Allo Boss2 that would work well with Spotify Connect. I would like to run the native IOS Spotify App through an Iphone, not certain if Moode or Volumio or Max2Play or DietPi force you to use their app and user interface when playing Spotify.
No. You can use Spotify mobile app.

There is a community supported reverse engineered version of Spotify Connect called raspotify which works on all OSes you've mentioned and often comes preinstalled. It works great, haven't experienced any problems with it at all, but it is not guaranteed to continue working when (and if) Spotify will introduce its HiFi tier or whatever it will be called this fall, since raspotify is neither endorsed nor officially supported by Spotify. This is not to discourage you, just to make sure you understand that DIY style solutions have their limitations. Traditional commercial products too, of course, and they are also usually much more expensive.

RadioBuddha

No. You can use Spotify mobile app.

There is a community supported reverse engineered version of Spotify Connect called raspotify which works on all OSes you've mentioned and often comes preinstalled. It works great, haven't experienced any problems with it at all, but it is not guaranteed to continue working when (and if) Spotify will introduce its HiFi tier or whatever it will be called this fall, since raspotify is neither endorsed nor officially supported by Spotify. This is not to discourage you, just to make sure you understand that DIY style solutions have their limitations. Traditional commercial products too, of course, and they are also usually much more expensive.

Thank you, so for my use case, needing an RCA analog output, would this player fit the bill as the best option for sound quality? If I purchased from Allo.com, I gather you feel that DietPi is the one to have them preinstall?

Bamyasi

Thank you, so for my use case, needing an RCA analog output, would this player fit the bill as the best option for sound quality? If I purchased from Allo.com, I gather you feel that DietPi is the one to have them preinstall?
DietPi is actually my favorite OS and I have it installed on my RPi4 streamer (and it was installed on my Allo USBridge streamer before that). It is a very comprehensive system and have excellent support from developers. But I would not recommend it as your first audio player/OS. It will work out of the box, no doubt about it, but in order to try all the available options you will need to learn Linux command-line basics.

I do not think DietPi have raspotify installed by default. Which means you will have to connect via ssh to a terminal on your Boss2 player over the network to install it yourself. Step-by-step instructions can be found on the net and it is fun to learn new things but can also feel a bit intimidating if you have never done any command-line programming before. DietPi is based on Debian Linux, so it is more suitable for users with previous Linux experience. Other OS variants may be more user friendly in that respect. Note, Moode OS, which is also supported on Boss2 out of the box, seems to have their own version of Spotify client but it also requires installation from command line. I would suggest contacting Allo support and asking them whether it is supported on Boss2 hardware. They have their support forum on Audiophile Style website.

contium

LMS has a Spotify plugin that, among other things, adds Spotify Connect. I can stream to my Allo Boos 2 with the Spotify app on my android phone.

RadioBuddha

DietPi is actually my favorite OS and I have it installed on my RPi4 streamer (and it was installed on my Allo USBridge streamer before that). It is a very comprehensive system and have excellent support from developers. But I would not recommend it as your first audio player/OS. It will work out of the box, no doubt about it, but in order to try all the available options you will need to learn Linux command-line basics.

I do not think DietPi have raspotify installed by default. Which means you will have to connect via ssh to a terminal on your Boss2 player over the network to install it yourself. Step-by-step instructions can be found on the net and it is fun to learn new things but can also feel a bit intimidating if you have never done any command-line programming before. DietPi is based on Debian Linux, so it is more suitable for users with previous Linux experience. Other OS variants may be more user friendly in that respect. Note, Moode OS, which is also supported on Boss2 out of the box, seems to have their own version of Spotify client but it also requires installation from command line. I would suggest contacting Allo support and asking them whether it is supported on Boss2 hardware. They have their support forum on Audiophile Style website.

Yes and doing some Google research, it appears that RoPieee XL has a native Spotify plug in and Airplay, that would cover the bases, Spotify Connect and the ability to airplay Tune In or Pandora or any internet radio station from the Iphone.

Also there is a Nano Sound One Player working on a Volumio OS that has Spotify Connect and Airplay.

RadioBuddha

One other thing, I suspect that my 2015 Macbook Pro sounds better (whatever that means) than the Iphone SE 1st generation because of the higher amp output, I think measured by VRMS, I believe the Lightning to 3.5mm Apple Dac that I am using on the Iphone is 1.0 vrms, it is a good sound but the Macbook Pro just sounds larger, do the Raspberry Pi Dacs or Dac Hats offer amp power or would I have to add a separate amp module to any HifiBerry type Dac that I buy?

Oh and what Pi streamer dac combination do you use?

And I hope this is the last question but when I play a music video on MTV classic channel through a Directv Genie HR54, via an inexpensive LED TV, 3.5mm to RCA cable out of the TV's 3.5mm jack, it sounds awesome, better than anything produced by the Macbook Pro which I consider very good, however with that same setup, the Apple TV playing internet radio stations, very low quality, Apple Music better quality but does not match the Genie MTV classic channel sound, I can't find anything in the Genie manual regarding the sound output, but could it be that the Genie has more amplifier power than the Apple TV?

Now when I play a movie trailer on the Apple TV plus app, that sound comes to life in the same way the Directv Genie does, but why would Apple Music on the Apple TV not sound as dynamic as the movie trailers, not certain if anyone here can answer those questions but hoping to understand more about these devices, it would help guide me what to look for in the future when considering audio equipment, thank you.

TerryO

Mine arrived yesterday (Finally!) and I'll be reading the various printed matter before I meet up with my buddy Renan and get it set up with my computer. Very excited!

Xelah

Mine arrived yesterday (Finally!) and I'll be reading the various printed matter before I meet up with my buddy Renan and get it set up with my computer. Very excited!
I have been using mine for about 3 weeks and I have been really pleased with the set up.

RadioBuddha

Anyone know the final price with tax, shipped to New York, I don't see a conversion to dollars on the website or a tax/shipping calculator.

RadioBuddha

Yes, a simple RaspberryPi with Moode installed will allow you to stream any music service with Airplay from your iPhone. However, you may not require the Boss2 if you already have a DAC in your receiver or have an external separate DAC/preamp combo. I was able to setup UPnP and Airplay with the items listed below for a lot less.
1. https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Model-2019-Quad-Bluetooth/dp/B07TC2BK1X
2. https://www.amazon.com/Flirc-Raspberry-Pi-Case-Silver/dp/B07WG4DW52
3. https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Power-Supply-USB-C/dp/B07TYQRXTK
4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWN9Q99
5. http://moodeaudio.org

I would only consider the Boss2 if I required a DAC Hat on the RaspberryPi. Even then the shipping cost for the Boss2 is considerable.

Your list adds up to around $100, what DAC could you buy separately that would be the same or similar quality to the Boss2?

Top Bottom