• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a small amount of solid carbon to copper boosts its conductivity

DonR

Major Contributor

I can see this being leveraged by certain snake oilers.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
From the article is this rather key point:

When the research team added 18 parts per million of graphene to electrical-grade copper, the temperature coefficient of resistance decreased by 11 percent without decreasing electrical conductivity at room temperature. This is relevant for the manufacturing of electric vehicle motors, where an 11 percent increase in the electrical conductivity of copper wire winding translates into a 1 percent gain in motor efficiency.

So the tempco is improved but conductivity not necessarily increased. I really doubt that there is any significant increase in temperature for any of our wires, thus no benefit. High-current, high-temperature applications will benefit but this is a non-issue for us. Except another cable scheme is sure to follow as others have already said.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So the tempco is improved but conductivity not necessarily increased. I really doubt that there is any significant increase in temperature for any of our wires, thus no benefit. High-current, high-temperature applications will benefit but this is a non-issue for us. Except another cable scheme is sure to follow as others have already said.

Maybe the voice coils in large PA speakers. Probably still not worth it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Maybe the voice coils in large PA speakers. Probably still not worth it.
Yah. And self-heating also helps limit the current, so reducing the tempco might not actually be a good thing even there. Always trades...

I just skimmed the article, but one thing adding carbon tends to do is to make wires more brittle. I am not sure if that applies to their particular alloy, but that could be a drawback...

Top Bottom