• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 86.2%

• Total voters

salmo

I bought Sonus after returning Hexa, mostly due to fit issues that I couldn't solve with any tips.
Sonus on the other hand fits me perfectly and I can say I prefer it over Hexa, but given the fitting problems i tryed Hexa for a very short time and in not optimal context.
I tought exactly about Hexa but their shape is bizarre, haha. :D 7Hz Sonus looks pretty cool and have a good set of accessories for the price

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tought exactly about Hexa but their shape is bizarre, haha. :D 7Hz Sonus looks pretty cool and have a good set of accessories for the price
The ear-facing side is contoured so it should be comfortable. Most people say it is more comfortable than the Truthear Blue and Red.
I bought Sonus after returning Hexa, mostly due to fit issues that I couldn't solve with any tips.
Sonus on the other hand fits me perfectly and I can say I prefer it over Hexa, but given the fitting problems i tryed Hexa for a very short time and in not optimal context.
Sonus should have more bass than Hexa.

What's your take on the other Harman-tuned IEMs like Truthear Zero (brighter) or 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2 (darker/warmer)?

mc.god

Sonus should have more bass than Hexa.

What's your take on the other Harman-tuned IEMs like Truthear Zero (brighter) or 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2 (darker/warmer)?
Never heared both in person, I can talk about Hola that has a similar amount of bass than Zero:2 and while I like it a lot too, it is at the limit of being distracting for my preference.

usern

I'm surprised how this IEMs is holding so much power. I did something that until today I regret: accidentally played a 1kHz tone into a Moondrop Kato by a L30 II with everything maxed out (the own file with -0.05dBFS, Winblows volume, Foobar2000, potentiometer and high gain. Less than sec was enough to hear it distorts and soon after the volume decreasing - at the moment I didn't know if was my ear either the IEM failing. Luckily was the Kato. Surprisingly it stills plays and kept its impedance closer to its specs. But now there's a valley around 1kHz in this frequency response.
Wow you changed frequency response of headphones by running them too loud?

Is there some foam tips anybody could recommend from EU amazon?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heared both in person, I can talk about Hola that has a similar amount of bass than Zero:2 and while I like it a lot too, it is at the limit of being distracting for my preference.
Thanks. I found a measurement of the Sonus and the double-peak treble (2 kHz and 4.5 kHz) would sound different than the others we are discussing. Usually, the peak is around 3 kHz and then slopes down. There are comments of a metallic sound and some sibilance, which is probably the 4-5 kHz peak. I would EQ that down a bit. Also the ramp up to the upper mids starts a bit earlier than on some IEMs.
7Hz_Sonus.png

Honestly it looks like the Hexa has better treble tuning but it's missing bass.

Last edited:

mc.god

Thanks. I found a measurement of the Sonus and the double-peak treble (2 kHz and 4.5 kHz) would sound different than the others we are discussing. Usually, the peak is around 3 kHz and then slopes down. There are comments of a metallic sound and some sibilance, which is probably the 4-5 kHz peak. I would EQ that down a bit. Also the ramp up to the upper mids starts a bit earlier than on some IEMs.

View attachment 346393
I opted for it exhactly for that type of pinna gain, a bit early rise, more even and less peaky at 3khz than original 7Hz Zero, maintaining more or less it's bass and mid bass behavior:
graph.png

I hear no sibilance at all but cristal clear mid and highs. About timbre it has a Balanced armature that someone refer to be "plasticky' but I can't understand what it means, maybe it can be just a tiny tiny bit nasal with male voices, probably more for the FR than for other reasons.
As said previuosly I'm completely delighted for what i get from it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About timbre it has a Balanced armature that someone refer to be "plasticky' but I can't understand what it means, maybe it can be just a tiny tiny bit nasal with male voices, probably more for the FR than for other reasons.
I think it has to be the shape of that 2-5k region. Normally you have one peak but here you have a second one. It could also be the early rise.

Anyway it should be able to be equalized unless there's some physical deficiency with the drivers causing it.

SteveL

I can't help noticing that whatever small FR quirks these well-tuned $50 and under IEMs may exhibit, you have to get into pretty stratospheric pricing territory with DCA and the like to get the kind of fully competent FR from headphones that's now achieved routinely by cheap IEMs. And having owned some pretty good headphones over the years I simply don't perceive the spatial advantages people talk about (though I have never owned an HD800 or the like- maybe it has properties that lesser cans don't.) I will never buy another headphone.

mc.god

I think it has to be the shape of that 2-5k region. Normally you have one peak but here you have a second one. It could also be the early rise.

Anyway it should be able to be equalized unless there's some physical deficiency with the drivers causing it.
As said I was searching precisely for that type of FR, clearly one can adjust it with eq if don't like it, personally I switch to Zero or Hola when I want it a bit different.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe a little NSFW (F-bomb).

Dua Lip and Angèle: Fever

Sounds absolutely fantastic through these IEMs. The voices are so clearly defined from both singers now faded down as they are talking/singing to the camera in the film ~ 2min.
Bass is delightfully tight and rhythmic.

Code:
Preamp: -2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 150 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 380 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 3

Footnote: Perhaps there is a social/political connotation to this track and it's time of release and then current global events. I didn't hear it at the time, nor see the video so don't have an opinion on that aspect. Apologies if the video is offensive or inflammatory for any who were affected in anyway from recent 'fever' related events.

Last edited:

wunderkind

I wish it has longer cables.
I'd also appreciate it if it is a touch warmer. I will have to try an EQ the higher freqs down. Still prefer my Moondrop Chu as far as IEM go.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I wish it has longer cables.
I'd also appreciate it if it is a touch warmer. I will have to try an EQ the higher freqs down. Still prefer my Moondrop Chu as far as IEM go.
The Zero:2 has more bass and less treble than the original Chu, provided that both IEMs are in order and seal properly to your ear canal:
graph.png

Since that doesn't appear to be the case for you, I'd suggest trying some different ear tips.

Last edited:

wunderkind

That's not what I am hearing. My initial reaction is Zero:2's treble is higher. That said I am using the tips that came installed. I'm too lazy to change. I will look into that.
In contrast my Chu was warmer where the high treble section tamed.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, is the peak at 125Hz measurement error or is it like that in the actual IEM?
Measuring/setup error.

See earlier post

DSJR

Major Contributor
Still delighted with mine, but correct choice of tip size is crucial to get the best bass.

To save me trawling back through pages and pages, would someone please be kind enough to repeat the best third party tips to use which may improve what's already really good? I've saved the Moondrop SpinFit W1 on Amazon in what I hope is a suitable size but what should I expect sonically from changing these?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still delighted with mine, but correct choice of tip size is crucial to get the best bass.

To save me trawling back through pages and pages, would someone please be kind enough to repeat the best third party tips to use which may improve what's already really good? I've saved the Moondrop SpinFit W1 on Amazon in what I hope is a suitable size but what should I expect sonically from changing these?
I get the best seal and bass with Azla Sednafit (for me the largest size as large ear canal openings but of course that varies by person, not IEM)

I think they do packs with a range of sizes - a small to medium pack and I think a medium to large pack too.

They are wide and stubby which perfectly matches the relatively shallow insertion style of the Zero 2. These absolutely dont work for me with things like the Truthear Zero which requires something that sheaths the nozzle deeper into your ear.

Obizzz

It's a bit funny. I just had some speakers for over 2000 € delivered last week and here I am spending my time listening to 25 dollar IEM:s out of an Apple phone dongle :D (To be fair I did listen a LOT to the speakers over the weekend)

I've been playing around a bit more with different ear tips and managed to fit some Spinfit CP100+ on these. It's a bit tricky to get them on but once they go over the nozzle they work really well.
I made the mistake of trying to fit them too deep at first (Hey I'm an Etymotic user!) but I found they work best if you just put them in so they just seal and just a gentle push to get them to stay. Too far and it seems like something folds over and they get a bit sibilant. The default tips are not as sensitive to insertion depth though.

With the Spinfits I get really nice detail in the bass that no other tips in my collection seem to give me. The included red tips are the closest.

If there's one thing to complain about it's the isolation (Once again, Etymotic user). The eartips I have that improves the isolation seems to also remove a bit of detail and remove a bit of bass (The last part is probably due to a differet bore size).
Going to order a bunch of tips to try out on these and the Reds. Maybe something else will provide a bit more isolation without the drawbacks. If not I'm pretty happy with the CP100+

half_dog

Wow you changed frequency response of headphones by running them too loud?
I'm surprised that stills "work" (playing something). Usually when this kind of thing happens the driver coil is completed blown. Maybe its wires were "displaced" because of the instant heat without tearing and the result was this "new" frequency response.

ehabheikal

This is a review, listening tests, EQ and detailed measurements of the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM. It was kindly donated to me by a member and costs US $24.99.
View attachment 335107
The cable is soft and longer than typical which I like. They take fair amount of effort to push it but then they make a reassuring soft click. The tips look cheap and are quite soft. You may need aftermarket ones. I tested and listened using the default red ones you see in the review picture.

Compared to 7Hz Zero IEM that I reviewed recently, these supposed to have a bit more bass and less treble. Let's measure to find out if that is the case.

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Measurements
Let's start with our standard measurement on GRAS 45CA measurement fixture. I was pleased that they fit instantly and generated the predicted results:
View attachment 335108
At high level, this is excellent compliance with our target leaving enough room for manufactures to tune and owners to decide based on their taste. Getting specific, ignoring sub-bass, we have a bit of lift between 100 and 300 Hz and some short fall from 4K to 8K. So overall I expect these to have a bit more bass and more closed in/less sparkle than the original Zero. Here is the relative response for EQ development:
View attachment 335109
While the differential is not great, developing precise filters may be bit challenging due to their shape. Then again you may not need to modify the response anyway.

The distortion measurements made my jaw drop:
View attachment 335110
As you see, even 114 dBSPL generates negligible distortion by transducer standards. It was so low that I decided to zoom way in. You see noise on the blue 94 dBSPL indicating corruption due to measurement noise. So in reality performance is better than that (SINAD of nearly 80 dB). This is one clean sounding IEM.

Absolute levels also show the same:
View attachment 335111

Group delay shows no news which is what we like to see (and is typical of IEMs):
View attachment 335112

Impedance is flat and low which is as expected:
View attachment 335113

Combined with average sensitivity, just about any source can drive it:
View attachment 335114

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Listening Tests and EQ
First impression was that familiar sound I hear from accurate transducers with two differences: the highs were a little recessed and at times I was hearing bass I didn't even know was there! I went after the former with EQ:
View attachment 335115
The measured shortfall in treble is 5+ dB. I started there and while that brought fantastic amount of detail and great improvement in spatial qualities, after some listening, I realized it is too bright. I pulled it down to 3 dB. Listening to bass heavy tracks I started to be bothered a bit about the extra upper bass. I dialed in a filter for that which solved that but them made the sound bright. I took down the treble EQ to what you see and reduced the amount I had taken down the Bass. These values are basically 40% of what measurements indicated. AB tests of EQ and no EQ showed preference for EQ.

Then I sat back and listened. That deep, impressive sub-bass is there and is now so clean. The highs are to die for. I have no immediate comparison but I kept getting surprised by the clarity up high in tracks that I have listened to hundreds of times for review. As much as I have had the pleasure of listening to some really great headphones and IEMs, I continue to be startled by moment to moment level of fidelity as I continue to listen to them. I think this IEM will likely make you not like your regular speaker system unless it is of highest caliber! The sound is just so good.

Also amazing is the level of instrument separation/spatial qualities. So, so satisfying. I can't say enough good things.

Conclusions
You have to shake your head when you see and read about the performance of this $25 IEM. It displays a level of performance with a bit EQ that is world class. Feed it some well recorded music and you are there: the pinnacle of high fidelity sound. I don't care if you don't want to use an IEM. Get one of these (or the original Zero) and get calibrated on what good sound is.

As to whether to get the zero or zero:2, I would say that with the above EQ, Zero:2 sounds more to my liking than the original 7Hz Zero. That one though sounds more correct without EQ. Your opinion may vary.

I am happy to recommend the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Does this have better imaging than crinale red?

Top Bottom