• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 294 86.5%

• Total voters

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Given the excellence of these inexpensive IEMs I wonder how much longer companies manufacturing IEMS costing thousands of dollars can afford to do so? Especially when the performance of their mega dollar IEMS can often fall short of IEMS like the Crinacle Zero.

I can't even imagine burning thousands on transducers that doesn't have real bass or soundstage.

Reactions: VQR

MacClintock

I am not acoustically savvy enough to know what I'm looking at, but since it pretty reliably shows up in Crinacle's B&K measurements on most every IEM he tests, and not on his old clone coupler, I'd guess it's some sort of test fixture artifact, though I couldn't say how it correlates to something audible. But I'm speaking more about the overall tuning choices - more low mids and less energy in the upper half of the ear gain region vs the Harman IE target. But all of this has already been argued to death in the Truthear x Crinacle Zero Blue thread so I'd rather not open that can of worms again.
Well, Amir EQed it away and claimed it sounded better afterwards, so this would be an indication for being a real kink.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
A little late, but...

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM vs 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM:

both.gif

both.gif

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM vs Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM
both.gif

both.gif

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM vs TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM:
both.gif

both.gif

MayaTlab

So a strange kink at about 150Hz is a feature?

If you're talking about this :
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 07.46.14.png

Then that's most likely a measurement artefact. Whether you call it "rocking modes" or "step function" you can occasionally see such an artefact when measuring IEMs either in a coupler's metal canal extension or in pinnae (711 or 5128). You'll see it move a little bit up and down with different reseats / insertion depths, or even go away completely in certain positions.

You can minimise that issue by coupling the IEM with the ear simulator with putty, a bit like this :
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 07.52.56.png

It's more annoying to do in a pinna but still doable.

When you do so the step function disappears. Here's an example with the Moondrop Chu, which tips are particularly susceptible to that issue :
chu putty vs no putty.jpg

In actual humans, so far I haven't seen a single measurement where that rocking mode / step function appears. Other than for one individual, Harman kept the in situ measurements they performed a few years ago, using a modified Momentum iei, to themselves, but here's a more recent comment from Sean Olive on the subject :
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 07.55.43.png

CSGlinux has organised a tour of a modified IEM with which participants can also perform in situ measurements, so far same story : not happening in the test subjects.
The database for this project is here :
(just be very careful about interpreting the measurements past 1-1,5kHz, and actually down to 500-600Hz if you're bothered by tolerances of +/- 1dB or so).

For what it's worth I also haven't seen that phenomenon occur when measuring IEMs in situ on my own as well.

It could still be that in a specific situation someone will experience such a phenomenon, but for now I prefer to put it in the category "not happening until I see otherwise".

Note that in a pinna the shape of these rocking modes can be a bit different than a simple "step" for some IEMs, but here for Amir's measurements, just visualise a line cutting through the kink (a bit like the Chu above) and you'll get closer to what is most likely happening in your ears if you get a good seal. Basically don't get too worked up with these kinks (same applies for 5128 measurements, that fixture seems particularly annoying to deal with in that regard).

therobin

Given the excellence of these inexpensive IEMs I wonder how much longer companies manufacturing IEMS costing thousands of dollars can afford to do so? Especially when the performance of their mega dollar IEMS can often fall short of IEMS like the Crinacle Zero.
Forever.

The ridiculousness and overpriced market of the audiophile industry has little to do with performance. Many industry are plagued with overpriced snakeoil products. High performance, well engineered and well implemented products exist in those industry already. Doesn't stop overpriced products from from selling and multi millions and billions spent in marketing them.

Just think about the cost of super cars. You think the owners of super cars are thinking about how much millions they could have saved with a much cheaper high performance vehicle?

Multi million dollar watches tell the same time as a $10 watch.

Bicycles that cost tens of thousands that don't go any faster than an entry bicycle.

Kilobuck IEMs and headphones are not going anywhere.

notabenem

Can anyone recommend some decent cables with good MICs?
Also, any compatible bluetooth module with (usable) ANC?

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Forever.

The ridiculousness and overpriced market of the audiophile industry has little to do with performance. Many industry are plagued with overpriced snakeoil products. High performance, well engineered and well implemented products exist in those industry already. Doesn't stop overpriced products from from selling and multi millions and billions spent in marketing them.

Just think about the cost of super cars. You think the owners of super cars are thinking about how much millions they could have saved with a much cheaper high performance vehicle?

Multi million dollar watches tell the same time as a $10 watch.

Bicycles that cost tens of thousands that don't go any faster than an entry bicycle.

Kilobuck IEMs and headphones are not going anywhere.
Sometimes, expensive stuff at least lasts longer - but only sometimes. The "second cheapest" may be perfectly OK either.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ridiculous how good these IEM's are nowadays, and for the money! Pity I don't like putting things in my ears, and note to self must get my earwax sucked out and start thinking about somekind of preventative earwax health regime!

delta76

Major Contributor
Whoever named these should be fired!
I swear to god.

Tell me if these names aren't at all confusing to you?

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM
7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM
Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM
Truthear x Crinacle Zero IEM
are you sure it's not intentional ? ;)

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I swear to god.

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM
Yep, I don't know what I'm looking at anymore!

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I swear to god.

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM
I know right. I am not even sure which one I have now!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I swear to god.

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM
I couldn't agree more. Zero and Zero 2 make sense as versions, but the rest? Are they the same product sold by different vendors, different products based on the same basic design, or just different products trying to exploit the Zero name?

Top Bottom