• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 291 86.4%

• Total voters

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're referring to the Chu, right? I've never had any bad experience with any iems like the Chu. My son used it like for a period of more than 6 months before one of the monitors became silent.
No, I was referring to Salnotes Zero:2. I haven't tried Chu.

Art of sound

This is a review, listening tests, EQ and detailed measurements of the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM. It was kindly donated to me by a member and costs US $24.99.
View attachment 335107
The cable is soft and longer than typical which I like. They take fair amount of effort to push it but then they make a reassuring soft click. The tips look cheap and are quite soft. You may need aftermarket ones. I tested and listened using the default red ones you see in the review picture.

Compared to 7Hz Zero IEM that I reviewed recently, these supposed to have a bit more bass and less treble. Let's measure to find out if that is the case.

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Measurements
Let's start with our standard measurement on GRAS 45CA measurement fixture. I was pleased that they fit instantly and generated the predicted results:
View attachment 335108
At high level, this is excellent compliance with our target leaving enough room for manufactures to tune and owners to decide based on their taste. Getting specific, ignoring sub-bass, we have a bit of lift between 100 and 300 Hz and some short fall from 4K to 8K. So overall I expect these to have a bit more bass and more closed in/less sparkle than the original Zero. Here is the relative response for EQ development:
View attachment 335109
While the differential is not great, developing precise filters may be bit challenging due to their shape. Then again you may not need to modify the response anyway.

The distortion measurements made my jaw drop:
View attachment 335110
As you see, even 114 dBSPL generates negligible distortion by transducer standards. It was so low that I decided to zoom way in. You see noise on the blue 94 dBSPL indicating corruption due to measurement noise. So in reality performance is better than that (SINAD of nearly 80 dB). This is one clean sounding IEM.

Absolute levels also show the same:
View attachment 335111

Group delay shows no news which is what we like to see (and is typical of IEMs):
View attachment 335112

Impedance is flat and low which is as expected:
View attachment 335113

Combined with average sensitivity, just about any source can drive it:
View attachment 335114

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Listening Tests and EQ
First impression was that familiar sound I hear from accurate transducers with two differences: the highs were a little recessed and at times I was hearing bass I didn't even know was there! I went after the former with EQ:
View attachment 335115
The measured shortfall in treble is 5+ dB. I started there and while that brought fantastic amount of detail and great improvement in spatial qualities, after some listening, I realized it is too bright. I pulled it down to 3 dB. Listening to bass heavy tracks I started to be bothered a bit about the extra upper bass. I dialed in a filter for that which solved that but them made the sound bright. I took down the treble EQ to what you see and reduced the amount I had taken down the Bass. These values are basically 40% of what measurements indicated. AB tests of EQ and no EQ showed preference for EQ.

Then I sat back and listened. That deep, impressive sub-bass is there and is now so clean. The highs are to die for. I have no immediate comparison but I kept getting surprised by the clarity up high in tracks that I have listened to hundreds of times for review. As much as I have had the pleasure of listening to some really great headphones and IEMs, I continue to be startled by moment to moment level of fidelity as I continue to listen to them. I think this IEM will likely make you not like your regular speaker system unless it is of highest caliber! The sound is just so good.

Also amazing is the level of instrument separation/spatial qualities. So, so satisfying. I can't say enough good things.

Conclusions
You have to shake your head when you see and read about the performance of this $25 IEM. It displays a level of performance with a bit EQ that is world class. Feed it some well recorded music and you are there: the pinnacle of high fidelity sound. I don't care if you don't want to use an IEM. Get one of these (or the original Zero) and get calibrated on what good sound is.

As to whether to get the zero or zero:2, I would say that with the above EQ, Zero:2 sounds more to my liking than the original 7Hz Zero. That one though sounds more correct without EQ. Your opinion may vary.

I am happy to recommend the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
All the reviewers on youtube have their iem target much different from the Harmon diffuse field wrt 4hz peak bu 3db or less and some boosted lower mids 100-500Hz by 2db or so. most reviers landed on their targets after testing 100's of iem's and happen to agree mostly with some variation.
squig.link can be used to check these out

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the reviewers on youtube have their iem target much different from the Harmon diffuse field wrt 4hz peak bu 3db or less and some boosted lower mids 100-500Hz by 2db or so. most reviers landed on their targets after testing 100's of iem's and happen to agree mostly with some variation.
squig.link can be used to check these out
Or just convert their favourite IEM's FR response on a random rig to a target, but thanks for sharing anyway.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the cables interchangeable between the various (confusing) versions of these?

Yes, they have standard 0.78mm 2-pin connectors on them. I'm using the cable from my Truthear x Crinacle Blues on my Zero:2's. The stock cable is OK considering the price, but the barrel on the 3.5mm plug is a bit wonky on my one.

Nango

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening tests, EQ and detailed measurements of the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM. It was kindly donated to me by a member and costs US $24.99.
View attachment 335107
The cable is soft and longer than typical which I like. They take fair amount of effort to push it but then they make a reassuring soft click. The tips look cheap and are quite soft. You may need aftermarket ones. I tested and listened using the default red ones you see in the review picture.

Compared to 7Hz Zero IEM that I reviewed recently, these supposed to have a bit more bass and less treble. Let's measure to find out if that is the case.

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Measurements
Let's start with our standard measurement on GRAS 45CA measurement fixture. I was pleased that they fit instantly and generated the predicted results:
View attachment 335108
At high level, this is excellent compliance with our target leaving enough room for manufactures to tune and owners to decide based on their taste. Getting specific, ignoring sub-bass, we have a bit of lift between 100 and 300 Hz and some short fall from 4K to 8K. So overall I expect these to have a bit more bass and more closed in/less sparkle than the original Zero. Here is the relative response for EQ development:
View attachment 335109
While the differential is not great, developing precise filters may be bit challenging due to their shape. Then again you may not need to modify the response anyway.

The distortion measurements made my jaw drop:
View attachment 335110
As you see, even 114 dBSPL generates negligible distortion by transducer standards. It was so low that I decided to zoom way in. You see noise on the blue 94 dBSPL indicating corruption due to measurement noise. So in reality performance is better than that (SINAD of nearly 80 dB). This is one clean sounding IEM.

Absolute levels also show the same:
View attachment 335111

Group delay shows no news which is what we like to see (and is typical of IEMs):
View attachment 335112

Impedance is flat and low which is as expected:
View attachment 335113

Combined with average sensitivity, just about any source can drive it:
View attachment 335114

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Listening Tests and EQ
First impression was that familiar sound I hear from accurate transducers with two differences: the highs were a little recessed and at times I was hearing bass I didn't even know was there! I went after the former with EQ:
View attachment 335115
The measured shortfall in treble is 5+ dB. I started there and while that brought fantastic amount of detail and great improvement in spatial qualities, after some listening, I realized it is too bright. I pulled it down to 3 dB. Listening to bass heavy tracks I started to be bothered a bit about the extra upper bass. I dialed in a filter for that which solved that but them made the sound bright. I took down the treble EQ to what you see and reduced the amount I had taken down the Bass. These values are basically 40% of what measurements indicated. AB tests of EQ and no EQ showed preference for EQ.

Then I sat back and listened. That deep, impressive sub-bass is there and is now so clean. The highs are to die for. I have no immediate comparison but I kept getting surprised by the clarity up high in tracks that I have listened to hundreds of times for review. As much as I have had the pleasure of listening to some really great headphones and IEMs, I continue to be startled by moment to moment level of fidelity as I continue to listen to them. I think this IEM will likely make you not like your regular speaker system unless it is of highest caliber! The sound is just so good.

Also amazing is the level of instrument separation/spatial qualities. So, so satisfying. I can't say enough good things.

Conclusions
You have to shake your head when you see and read about the performance of this $25 IEM. It displays a level of performance with a bit EQ that is world class. Feed it some well recorded music and you are there: the pinnacle of high fidelity sound. I don't care if you don't want to use an IEM. Get one of these (or the original Zero) and get calibrated on what good sound is.

As to whether to get the zero or zero:2, I would say that with the above EQ, Zero:2 sounds more to my liking than the original 7Hz Zero. That one though sounds more correct without EQ. Your opinion may vary.

I am happy to recommend the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Would be interesting to know what kind of different transducer they use other than those used in 1k IEMs, if any.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be interesting to know what kind of different transducer they use other than those used in 1k IEMs, if any.

Call me cynical but they can just claim anything they want since none of their market of True Believers numbering in double-digits tops is gonna teardown an internally fragile product.

Even it took quite some time for the market to expose the multi-driver scam on much cheaper KZs.

LIΟN

KakaoTalk_20231223_173219846.png

I got 7hzZero:2 today. I ordered this to give it to my brother. I just did a quick test before giving it to him.
It's not bad.

2.png

And it sounds pretty good when I listen to it by applying my personalized flat hrir to the IEM. But the decay on the lower end is a bit thin? Or it sounds blurry. (Absolute criterion because it's an IR of my ears that's already recorded.)
But this might be a matter of ear tips or wear deviation and most seem to be fine. It's affordable and good.

So I gave it to my younger brother with the brir file, and he is very satisfied.

mc.god

Call me cynical but they can just claim anything they want since none of their market of True Believers numbering in double-digits tops is gonna teardown an internally fragile product.

Even it took quite some time for the market to expose the multi-driver scam on much cheaper KZs.
This guy made an interesting job looking into some IEMs

https://www.youtube.com/@hi-friaudioman/videos

hope he can continue adding new models.

ngs428

A little late, but...

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM vs Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM
View attachment 335349
View attachment 335350

I had the blues, then go the reds, now the Zero 2 come out. I currently use my Qudelix 5k to parametric EQ my red's on the low end to mimic the bass adapter. I love how they sound.

Thanks for the graphs! Using these graphs, I see the reds have a little more disortion, but is it even audible? For the FR graph, other than <200Hz, the reds seem to comply better to the target. Then for <200 I am eqing.. I am not sure I am seeing enough here for another change, what am I missing? I see everyone here is jumping on them.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at Amir's measurements you might want to make the 200Hz filter a Q1 filter rather than Q2 as the response is elevated from just over 100Hz up to 400Hz, so Q1 is more likely to cover off that whole area, could be worth a try. (or maybe Q1.5.....you could experiment with anything inbetween Q1 - Q1.5)

Bow_Wazoo

In this album, Zero 2 proves that it sounds incredibly authentic.
For me a single DD system is the optimum.

ngs428

Looking at Amir's measurements you might want to make the 200Hz filter a Q1 filter rather than Q2 as the response is elevated from just over 100Hz up to 400Hz, so Q1 is more likely to cover off that whole area, could be worth a try. (or maybe Q1.5.....you could experiment with anything inbetween Q1 - Q1.5)
Specifially I am using @staticV3 EQ for the Red's. I was moreso trying to figure out what i am missing by having the Reds. vs this Zero2.

Here is my EQ I am using...

EQ for Reds.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was moreso trying to figure out what i am missing by having the Reds. vs this Zero2.

You are not missing out on anything with the Trutherear x Crinacle Zero Reds, they are excellent and you can EQ to your hearts content with the Q5K. I have both the TxCZ Blues and the Reds and I only bought the Zero:2 because it cost the same as 3 pints of beer in the UK :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Unfortunately I was not able to make this work for me.

It's too bright, almost chirpy, to such level that I can not use it for more than 5-10 mins.

No matter what I did, I was not able to fix it. Different tips; spin fits, comply foam tips, original tips, tips from other IEMs; different filters, high Q, low Q, high shelf - nothing worked.

If you had a similar problem and was able to find something that worked for you, please let me know. I do have this problem with some IEMs (I had it with the original Salnotes Zero as well) and would love to figure out what is going on.
Take a hearing test. It will show you which frequency is peaking and then with EQ you should be able to take that frequency down.

Human Bass

8khz peak is a common artifact of the inside of the tube where the mic is
Not a catch as such but no new IEM releases seem to be designed to optimize noise isolation. There have been a few with unvented designs (e.g. using multi-BA configuration) which could be better for isolation but they haven't been marketed as such and are not affordable like these Zero models.

I would like to see anyone try to compete with Etymotic by making a completely unvented IEM designed for deep fit with double or triple flange tips for best isolation. I think Etymotics are great but after years of listening even I've decided the region 1-2kHz is too elevated and EQ it down by 3dB. I've recently been experimenting elevating around 8kHz and preferring the added treble response here too. It gets it a bit closer to Harman 2019 but not quite, like this Zero:2. So I think there is room for a company to improve on Etymotic's tuning in a highly isolating deep fit IEM. :D

To @amirm :

On this point I'd really like to know what your take is on the impact of ear canal resonance? This could also be considered a "catch" by proponents of Etymotics, which insert so deep the resonance is pushed up into such high frequencies it becomes less intrusive (above 10khz). The argument is that the resonance peak is artificially created by creating a closed tube of your ear canal between the mic/ear drum and IEM, which isn't apparent in speaker/headphone listening, so detracts from sound quality. Hence the deep insertion to ensure it is as high frequency and least likely to be heard as possible.

With the IEMs you review is the resonance peak at 1/2 wavelength of the closed tube created in the canal something you perceive or find impacts audio quality? I believe the coupler you use has some kind of dampening so this peak isn't as pronounced as for example on @crinacle 's coupler, though it would not match up with what is heard anyway due to the length of everyone's ear canal being different.

For reference, Crin's measurement of Zero:2 (EQ is Amir's settings), showing ~6dB peak at 8kHz :
View attachment 335185

EDIT: In fact, is it possible to use the GRAS to measure noise isolation, for example by playing white noise and measuring the SPL with/without the IEM inserted?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's too bright, almost chirpy, to such level that I can not use it for more than 5-10 mins.
Try pushing them in momentarily while listening to a bass heavy track to see if bass performance improves. If it does, you still have a fit issue.

NoteMakoti

1703390280205.png

Ooooh damn...

Can't wait to try this out myself. This is a 1DD IEM too, right? EQing the bass up on the Truthears is kind of a pain, but if they come through clean on these it'll really be something special.

Top Bottom