• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM One IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 102 64.6%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
so it doesnt work with ios?
The app to set the filters... No. But the One-DSP does play audio from iOS (contingent upon having the right adapter for Lightning iThings).
I understand it is confusing, but if you use an iPhone for example (I do...), you have to find some Android device (a cheapo Android phone, DAP, whatever...) to set your EQ filters with the Tanchjim (Android) app. You save them, and then your settings are carried over with the IEM (they are stored onto the DSP chip included in the USB-C connector) to whatever you connect the One-DSP to: iPhone, PC, PlayStation, etc. It will works--play audio-- with anything that supports a UAC-1 compliant USB audio device (pretty much everything...).

Last edited:

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Yes, it does also play audio fine on the newest iPhone's with usb-c.

And I completely agree the app is far better than the Moondrop app (even though the DSP hardware may not be as good) and this makes a huge difference.

One thing to point out about the Android App is I couldn't find it on the play store (might be on the US play store but it wasn't on the Irish one) so I had to download the apk directly from the Tanchjim website - not a big deal but I know most people would never download an Android app from anything other than the playstore. Since I was using an old Android phone that I only used as a 'DAP' sometimes I didn't care but this does restrict who will ever configure the DSP.

Strangely (though probably not that strange) the IOS version of their app is in the Irish AppStore - but as mentioned before it doesn't configure the USB device.

While I mentioned previously the MFI (Made for iPhone) restrictions that Apple apply to plugging external 'devices' on iPhones - I actually think this restriction will be lifted soon - but this might not be until the "Apple Developer" event in June.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
OK decided to measure mine with my 711 clone coupler - so one annoying thing is I do see a large channel imbalance in the bass region - did numerous tests with different seating and eartips but it is always roughly 2db until about 200hz:
tanchjim-channel-imbalance.jpg

But then I decided to also measure the various DSP options (not the custom one as I haven't played around with that yet).

tanchjim-harman-aligned.jpg

The green is "stock" using a different 'normal' cable rather than the usb-c DSP cable. And the black is a Harman in-ear 2019 target.

Last edited:

Shadrach

I'm impressed. My first set of earbuds.
I made a error or some. I ordered the DSP version by mistake.:facepalm: I had to get an adaptor before I could plug them into any of my computers.
I'm restricted to USB audio. SPDIF just doesn't give enough volume.
The cable is too short.
My understanding is the Tanchjim DSP chip is located in the type C connector so if one replaces the cable one is left with a standard unit and of course can have a suitable jack that would enable listening through the system DAC and headphone amp.
I had a look at various after market cables; most were close to the cost of a new set of Tanchjim 1.
Can anybody recommend a good replacement cable that's 2m in length with a 3.5mm jack plug on the end that costs less than a new set of Tanchjim IEMs?

Next I'm reading about these equalizaton apps. Where does one get them? I tried Tanchjims website and I can't find them.
Is there one for a linux distribution on a computer or are they only for mobile phone?

I bought them to use on my work computer. They are fine for this. However, they sound that good, and so far I've found them comfortable enough to want to listen to them through the stereo system.

P1100062.JPG
P1100064.JPG

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm restricted to USB audio. SPDIF just doesn't give enough volume.
What does this mean? The One DSP doesn't support SPDIF.

Next I'm reading about these equalizaton apps. Where does one get them? I tried Tanchjims website and I can't find them.
The Tanchjim App for controlling the One DSP's DSP chip is available here: https://tanchjim.com/services/
It's Android only.

Is there one for a linux distribution on a computer or are they only for mobile phone?
There is no Tanchjim App for Linux or any other OS.

However, there are tons of different DSP Apps for all major OSs, that achieve the same thing as the Tanchjim App (except they run on your PC, not on the cable). Here's a list:

Shadrach

What does this mean? The One DSP doesn't support SPDIF.

The Tanchjim App for controlling the One DSP's DSP chip is available here: https://tanchjim.com/services/
It's Android only.

There is no Tanchjim App for Linux or any other OS.

However, there are tons of different DSP Apps for all major OSs, that achieve the same thing as the Tanchjim App (except they run on your PC, not on the cable). Here's a list:
Cheers. I've got Parametric equalizers.
I'l try the app out. I'll need another adaptor to connect to my phone.:rolleyes:

Makahl

The earpiece has a standard 2pin connection, so you can switch cables however you like.

The 2pin isn't standardized. If you're going to use a cable with preformed earhooks there's a big chance one side will be out of phase.
3ddbf4800072198650ada002d96c1861268566a3_2_690x388.jpeg

Also, the stock cable 2-pin is way longer than the 'standardized' recessed 2-pin. I've been experiencing disconnects all the time with a third-party cable on the go.
22.jpg

//

Oddly enough, I've noticed that depending on the side you connect the USB-C cable, the impulse response and phase will invert on REW. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited:

Shadrach

The 2pin isn't standardized. If you're going to use a cable with preformed earhooks there's a big chance one side will be out of phase.
3ddbf4800072198650ada002d96c1861268566a3_2_690x388.jpeg

Also, the stock cable 2-pin is way longer than the 'standardized' recessed 2-pin. I've been experiencing disconnects all the time with a third-party cable on the go.View attachment 341199

//

Oddly enough, I've noticed that depending on the side you connect the USB-C cable, the impulse response and phase will invert on REW. Can anyone confirm that?
There is also the annoying matter of the 0.78mm and 0.75mm pin spacing on the cables.
I've bought the cheapest bit of cable I could find with the right connectors; apart from pin length. One might be able to cut away couple of mm of the plasic to increase the pin length without weakening the plug too much.

It seems the manufacturers assume that these IEMs will be used with protable music players and phones. A bit of a shame for those of us who would like to use them in comfort through a stereo system.
I can't complain about the sound. The whole connector/cable business is a nightmare. I'm persevering now just out of pure stubborness.:rolleyes:

GIOCASS

I have quite a few iems (too many probably), got the DSP version. For my standard this is a very good value with good dynamics and resolution.
I needed an iem for quick use with my Pixel phone and this one is perfect.
Still playing around with dsp settings, but since I am particularly sensitive to upper mid 3K, I leave the DSP on Balanced and take care of the rest on the player EQ. Very good!

markanini

Major Contributor
I have quite a few iems (too many probably), got the DSP version. For my standard this is a very good value with good dynamics and resolution.
I needed an iem for quick use with my Pixel phone and this one is perfect.
Still playing around with dsp settings, but since I am particularly sensitive to upper mid 3K, I leave the DSP on Balanced and take care of the rest on the player EQ. Very good!
How was the fit and included tips?

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Arrived today, ordering a second pair. Haven't had a chance to really give it much thought but these may permanently replace my Shure 425's and maybe put a little money back into my pocket.

How often does that happen in replacing audio gear?

carpman

Anyone know a sensibly priced 3rd party cable for the Tanchjim One? It seems to have a recessed socket - but reading through the thread I saw some stuff about non-standard 0.78 pins. Maybe got that wrong. I want a non-hooked (i.e. straight - non-DSP, non-mic) 3.5mm cable that will fit the recessed 2 pin socket. Everything I've found so far is for looping round the ears.

C.

Michou

Top Bottom