• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 174 76.7%

• Total voters

musicforcities

i appreciate this... however as always you are on a limited timeline given Fosi have already put out feelers for a PFFB V3.

To my feeling you have to hit what a most common customer would want and to me its not a monoblock.

It is sadly a stereo model with vol. control. and maybe a trigger... maybe even rca only.

That stereo one review here would be perfect.

Dual mono in one case.

Or monoblocks with vertical form factor.

But yeah, it’s only a matter of time before fosi or ayima implement a PFFB. If there is any justice in this world, they will pay 3e a good license and just adopt their design.

sychan

Forum Donor
But yeah, it’s only a matter of time before fosi or ayima implement a PFFB. If there is any justice in this world, they will pay 3e a good license and just adopt their design.

TI documents everything you need to implement PFFB. From what I can tell, the tpa3251 evaluation board they sell for $200 includes the footprints for PFFB, and its just a matter of populating them with the right components. TI seems to give away all the design files for their reference implementations, so fosi or ayima don't even need to clone/license 3eaudio in order to get a PFFB implementation for TPA3251. But of course everyone wants MORE POWER, so it has to be a TPA3255.
1703223881481.png

daniboun

Major Contributor
Dual mono in one case.

Or monoblocks with vertical form factor.
Like this )))

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice looking little amp.

Am I correct that with the 5A supply you are limited to around 100W at 4ohm? Or is the supply capable of higher short term current?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Last edited:

312elements

daniboun

Major Contributor
Are you getting 5A without active cooling?
Did not measure. As per datasheet
Natural cooling with 230V AC mains = 250w max = 5A

In my 30M2 room with volume set more or less @50% it's already quite a lot for my ears )

Last edited:

musicforcities

rsqt

Doubled power is only +3dB. So the difference between 250W natural and 300W with fan is not really audible.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubled power is only +3dB. So the difference between 250W natural and 300W with fan is not really audible.

Well it is about 0.8dB - so audible, but only as an approx 8% perceived volume increase.

rsqt

But at max. level only. Using a 90dB/1W Hifi speaker it is about 114 to 114,8dB. With normal Hifi speakers you notice more the rising thd of the speaker than the clean +level of 0,8dB.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But at max. level only. Using a 90dB/1W Hifi speaker it is about 114 to 114,8dB. With normal Hifi speakers you notice more the rising thd of the speaker than the clean +level of 0,8dB.
It's a valid point - but then we never listen at max level - we use the max power for transient headroom / clipping avoidance. We can now listen 8% louder while retaining the same headroom.

But - at the end of the day - it's 8%: who cares.

rsqt

That s why I always/only use high efficient speakers for my developments to have not such a "problem". Most of the time I only need 0,01W, maybe 0,5W for transients and it is near "club-level".

daniboun

Major Contributor
Will let you know my next project asap.
I will use the Micro Audio SMPS630-SO (600W) PSU with a Stereo Module.
It's more about doing it out of curiosity than anything else) But I'll give you my opinion anyway.:)

Good morning im looking everywhere to buy your 480-1-29A mono pffb module measured here but cant find !!! in audiophonics they doesnt specify is exactly that model the "new mono version " they have even the picture look like your 480-1-29A they doesnt mention that model (mkstake? Can you please mail then?) or even mention is the "pffb" version . And same in aliexpress, only mention the other stereo version but not the mono. CAN you please provide the link to buy it? Thank you also to you and armir asr to make possible new reviews of state of art class d modules/amps. Regards from Spain @Audiophonics
appreciate putting effort test 2 configs(Stereo/Mono).

appreciate putting effort test 2 configs(Stereo/Mono).

daniboun

Major Contributor
Good morning im looking everywhere to buy your 480-1-29A mono pffb module measured here but cant find !!! in audiophonics they doesnt specify is exactly that model the "new mono version " they have even the picture look like your 480-1-29A they doesnt mention that model (mkstake? Can you please mail then?) or even mention is the "pffb" version . And same in aliexpress, only mention the other stereo version but not the mono. CAN you please provide the link to buy it? Thank you also to you and armir asr to make possible new reviews of state of art class d modules/amps. Regards from Spain @Audiophonics

Hi,

480-1-29A > New Mono Version (PFFB)
260-2-29A > New Stereo Version (PFFB)

They should be in stock by next week normally)

Take a look here for a dual Mono project and some tips =) :

Hi,

Thank you for reply. yes im looking only for the mono seens ITS NOT AVAILABLE no where, to build a dual two channel power amp made with mono pffb modules with shared linear psu (yeah i know linear psu measure worse but for me sounds more confortable) waiting for @3eaudio @Audiophonics update on real link for the mono pffb version

Also the link you shared of "1ch " as audiophonics states does not mention is pffb or "480-1-29a" in the link page only "1 ch" and pictures looklike but not sure to buy until they update is "PFFB" "480-1-29A" which didnt mention states in site for the mono. Same for aliexpress @Audiophonics
Hi,

daniboun

Major Contributor
Also the link you shared of "1ch " as audiophonics states does not mention is pffb or "480-1-29a" in the link page only "1 ch" and pictures looklike but not sure to buy until they update is "PFFB" "480-1-29A" which didnt mention states in site for the mono. Same for aliexpress @Audiophonics

480-1-29a = Mono = last version = PFFB
All this information has been shared hundreds of times on the thread. There is nothing to understand, I have mounted several of their modules already)
You can't go wrong, the new versions have a heat spreader placed under the bottom of the PCB.
As already said, they should be in stock next week on Audiophonics :)

NB : the user manual link is wrong from Audiophonics.

As reminder :

EAUMT-0480-1-A = old mono version without PFFB

EAUMT-0260-2-B = old stéréo version without PFFB

EAUMT-0260-2-B (old Stereo)

1703845413483.png

EAUMT-0480-1-A (old mono)
1703845458667.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom