• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 174 76.7%

• Total voters

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying that when the amp is supplying, say, 100W at midband and 1W at 10kHz, then the distortion spectrum changes at high frequencies? Drastically?
Mind you, we are not talking about clipping the amp, hence why I said 100W.
That's the hypothesis that the 32 tone and IMD charts imply. And because it's grass, not necessarily HD, it would have a higher degree of audibility as noise. But we have no data to know, only the indication at 5w that all is not well and that (especially at 5k) it gets worse as output rises.

gvl

Major Contributor
Can someone spec the best value build possible using these modules?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But we have no data to know, only the indication at 5w that all is not well and that (especially at 5k) it gets worse as output rises.
A chart at -100 dB across the audible range and “not all is well”?

Class D has higher noise at higher frequencies. It is well known. It is inaudible.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I finally finished my 3E Audio Dual Mono project checkout amigos :

noel_fs

what the actual fuck, i mean i suspected the tpa 3255 was like solid decent but this is actually good lol, how much does that power supply go for? or similar

charlielaub

Can someone spec the best value build possible using these modules?
At a bare minimum for functionality you need a power supply, the amp board, and a heat sink. The amp board is about $100 (a bit less for the mono board, a bit more for the stereo version) and a 48V power supply ranges from about $35 (e.g. Meanwell LRS-350-48 = 350W, fan cooled) to $100 (e.g. Meanwell UHP-500-48 = 500W, silent convection cooled). 3eAudio offers a convection cooled 300W SMPS for $85, but IMO 300W is a little underpowered. A heat sink might cost around $20-$40 (check out https://www.heatsinkusa.com/)

That's it, unless you want to put in in a case and have fancy connectors, etc. and then the cost will go up by another $100 or more. If you can make your own case and provide the connectors you will save a bundle.

A mass-produced, custom chassis for the 3eAudio boards would be very welcome. Maybe someone will step up and come up with a open-source (free) design and then people can order it from some fabricator. Wishful thinking at this point...

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
At a bare minimum for functionality you need a power supply, the amp board, and a heat sink. The amp board is about $100 (a bit less for the mono board, a bit more for the stereo version) and a 48V power supply ranges from about $35 (e.g. Meanwell LRS-350-48 = 350W, fan cooled) to $100 (e.g. Meanwell UHP-500-48 = 500W, silent convection cooled). 3eAudio offers a convection cooled 300W SMPS for $85, but IMO 300W is a little underpowered. A heat sink might cost around $20-$40 (check out https://www.heatsinkusa.com/)

That's it, unless you want to put in in a case and have fancy connectors, etc. and then the cost will go up by another $100 or more. If you can make your own case and provide the connectors you will save a bundle.

A mass-produced, custom chassis for the 3eAudio boards would be very welcome. Maybe someone will step up and come up with a open-source (free) design and then people can order it from some fabricator. Wishful thinking at this point...
I think someone could offer completed amps in simple cases for less than the Audiophonics build...either as monoblocks or a stereo version...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think someone could offer completed amps in simple cases for less than the Audiophonics build...either as monoblocks or a stereo version...
I doubt they could undercut Audiophonics by much if they wanted it to be a sustainable business.

Last edited:

olieb

I doubt they could undercut Audiophonics by much if they wanted it to be a sustainable business.
That is true for building from 3eAudio modules in EU in a small series.
But Fosi V3 can be bought under 100€ for the whole (stereo) amp with 48V PS. And PFFB is not that big of a difference in cost.

olieb

That is what we are talking about.
Well you left out the part with EU and small series.
In East Asia on a different scale it would be still possible to undercut Audiophonics price considerately.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you left out the part with EU and small series.
In East Asia on a different scale it would be still possible to undercut Audiophonics price considerately.
Perhaps - but not with the equivalent level of after sales support in EU.

xschop

Gents, can someone give the dimensions of the rear connections panel? I'm highly considering this board for my next custom case build. You guys did a great job implementing the PFFB. Thank you.

3e audio TPA3255 stereo amplifier kit class d PFFB complete amplifier review.jpg

3eaudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Attachments

• c8665970e4aa01cc36bb08878f5bb222.png
    c8665970e4aa01cc36bb08878f5bb222.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 110
How much power does it consume in idle/standby? I suspect the PFFB to be on the higher side. Probably 20W or even more.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Check my "Bamboo" project. Did my dual mono amp for less than $400

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This graph tells me that the amp, behaves differently at different frequencies. What I see is that 32 tones, played at the same time, comes out differently.

It kinda shows the opposite. The amplifiers is dead flat in the bandwidth shown. Consider the amplifier only deals with one waveform, not 32. At any instant, there is only one voltage presented to the amplifier.

Top Bottom