• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24 Crazy-Ass Hi-Fi Systems

just1n

Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always thought horn speakers performed best with low power class A amps?
Lol! That I have. But it uses silicon carbide JFETs. Once again I have missed the cool train.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
that describes a lotta hobbyists..(hi-end) audio guys firmly in the mix...
Well, it could be so and it's the same for me. Minus I'm not rich enough to afford some of the stuff featured in the Crazy-Ass Hi-Fi Systems Thread.:)

You have to live and have fun too, so I really think it's fun with people who get involved and invest money and time in their hobby. Whatever hobby it is.:)

Edit:
Having said that, not only a consequence of a smaller wallet, but also to a large extent that I find it much more fun to find and get/fix good sound with little money! There, ASR has been a great help for example that I realized that I don't need to spend that much money to get a DAC with completely transparent sound, with inaudible distortion and noise plus pancake flat FR. That and various other tips and advice here on ASR about speakers, EQ, room acoustics, subwoofers and so on. It is absolutely superb!:D

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Lol! That I have. But it uses silicon carbide JFETs. Once again I have missed the cool train.
You have my deepest sympathy or envy. Bought a Sony amp with an unusual FET output stage bought it from an American returning home. Great piece of kit, later it developed a fault taught me a lesson, never try to repair anything after a few? beers.

Matthias McCready

He seems to be a clearly committed man. A man and his dream, and that's something I can really appreciate!:D

That commitment and not just being a Crazy-Ass rich person who just randomly buys some Crazy-Ass expensive HiFi.:oops:

You know what would ruin that system for me?

That clock to the left... those are NOT quiet! :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have my deepest sympathy or envy. Bought a Sony amp with an unusual FET output stage bought it from an American returning home. Great piece of kit, later it developed a fault taught me a lesson, never try to repair anything after a few? beers.
The J2 is my one passing nod to audiophilia. Class A JFETs, built by Nelson Pass himself. Not sure any First Watt amp has ever broken, but If it breaks I'll probably just use an NCORE for its lack of crossover distortion and low noise.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have to live and have fun too, so I really think it's fun with people who get involved and invest money and time in their hobby. Whatever hobby it is.:)
agreed,life is zero fun without a reason to enjoy yourself...

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having said that, not only a consequence of a smaller wallet, but also to a large extent that I find it much more fun to find and get/fix good sound with little money! There, ASR has been a great help for example that I realized that I don't need to spend that much money to get a DAC with completely transparent sound, with inaudible distortion and noise plus pancake flat FR. That and various other tips and advice here on ASR about speakers, EQ, room acoustics, subwoofers and so on. It is absolutely superb!:D
i thank @Dennis Murphy for giving me great sound at a very affordable price tag.. he modded a pair of emotiva b1's and i really like them.. other than crazy high end transparency they are great , paired with a sub and an entry level denon avr i can confidently say i have 80-90% of what "the hi end guys" have at pennies on the dollar , and i am eternally grateful to him,i'm a music guy rather than an "audiophile"...

Waxx

Major Contributor
i've seen worse online. This is a crazy setup of a famous japanese audophile, and it's only one of his music rooms...
17758385_676835852519355_1311827555252585806_o.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i've seen worse online. This is a crazy setup of a famous japanese audophile, and it's only one of his music rooms... View attachment 244000
Old WE theater horns on top, but the speakers below with dual woofers are actual TAD pro audio (Model 2401, as I recall). Nothing at all wrong with those.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MAB

Major Contributor
Royal Device.
The website used to be better, but it seems dude joined a cult and now posts about end-times.
By the look of it, both the Device and the End-Times are a work in progress...;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Royal Device.
The website used to be better, but it seems dude joined a cult and now posts about end-times.
By the look of it, both the Device and the End-Times are a work in progress...;)
There's a man who takes his horns seriously.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or what to think about this fullrange horns... View attachment 244001
Or this Nelson Pass build, the Kleinhorn:
image10.jpg.22aea3fe4775aca8460a556ed10eb75d.jpg

And as finisher, this massive 4 way horn system:
Hoorns-van-Klaus_thumb2.jpg
I imagine every full range driver fan has lusted after the Kleinhorns.

Omar Cumming

i've seen worse online. This is a crazy setup of a famous japanese audophile, and it's only one of his music rooms... View attachment 244000

It seems to me that a room crammed with that much equipment (and other stuff) would have serious diffraction problems turning the sound to mush.

Cheers

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It seems to me that a room crammed with that much equipment (and other stuff) would have serious diffraction problems turning the sound to mush.

Cheers
People often talk about having round edges on the speaker baffles, all to minimize edge diffraction effects.But what if you do the opposite and add a lot of uh ...bowls around the speaker elements so that....uh...it should ...do...something?:oops:

Don't really know what this is. Speaker apparently:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nowadays, people often talk about having round edges on the speaker baffles, all to minimize edge diffraction effects.

But if you do the opposite and add a lot of uh ...bowls around the speaker elements so that....uh...it should ...do...something?:oops:

Don't really know what this is. Speaker apparently:

If you're really lucky, all the iron-mongery resonates too. Singing along to the music! :facepalm:

Top Bottom