• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Kube 12b wake up/standby issue: Any workaround?

Hey all. I purchased two of the KEF Kube 12b subs to pair with r7’s. Running Parasound Halo P6 preamp and utilizing KEF’s wireless sub gear. The things work fine when they are actually on. However, even with the sub gain on preamp all the way up, I still gotta jack volume up to wake them up and then turn the system down. Then, when at a quiet volume for sitting and sipping tea, they shut off, even with bass/drums/low frequencies involved in the music. There is no “always on” setting for power (like I see KEF has included on the new KUBE series, which means I’m sure, that I am far from the only one with this issue).

I’ve been a hi-fi guy for decades and used to sell audio gear and I’ve got no other ideas here, other than to make a return and pray that they don’t charge ”restocking” fees as I truly do consider this a defect. So, if there are any other ideas you cats might have, give me a shout. Otherwise, I am going to set up the return for these and consider my next options.

Hope you are all having a great day.

G

soberego

Late to the party but I lowered the volume on the sub and cranked up the output on my AVR.
Wakes up on mild tunes at -40db.

OP
G
I spoke with a tech at KEF. They had me try a couple of things, one of which was to take only one sub out into a y cable and then into both inputs of their WiFi unit. That seems to have done the trick. So, not stereo subs, but should be fine as I run the mains down to 50hz from me preamp crossover. Subs are turning on quickly now and not shutting off like they were before. In this way I did not need the sub trim turned all the way up to keep them going.

Top Bottom