• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24 Crazy-Ass Hi-Fi Systems

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Old picture, ”crazy” project. Bo Hansson of Rauna speakers had something similar.

Edited text: wrong reference to picture, as noted in following posts. Not Bo Hansson.

1668787387374.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Old picture, Bo Hanssons horn DIY…

View attachment 244175
Thomas, did you ever visit Bo Hansson's home and listen to his horn?:)

#626 page 32 in this thread:

Screenshot_2022-11-18_171121.jpg

MAB

Major Contributor

View attachment 244201
Not sure if these qualify as crazy, and they are from before Bo Hansson at Rauna, but I do have a pair of the original concrete Rauna Freja (aka Swedish Tombstone):
1668788546222.jpeg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I am confused, isn't this Royal Device, in Italy? Was Bo Hansson involved in this crazy project? I don't know too much about Bo, and next to nothing about these crazy horns, just wondering!
Perhaps I made a mistake, let me check. Bo Hansson did build his basement made as large horns however.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Maybe I am confused, isn't this Royal Device, in Italy? Was Bo Hansson involved in this crazy project? I don't know too much about Bo, and next to nothing about these crazy horns, just wondering!

Perhaps I made a mistake, let me check. Bo Hansson did build his basement made as large horns however.
This is what it looked like at Bo Hansson's home.Horn opening in the floor in the living room: :)
unnamed.jpg

Here, newly produced Rauna concrete speakers, two-way speakers:

Rauna Vidar:

SPECIFICATIONS

Principle: Two-way bass reflex with reversible port. Phase-aligned drivers

Drivers: One 5.5-inch long-throw woofer, One 1-inch soft-dome tweeter

Frequency response: 48 Hz – 22.000 Hz +/- 3 dB

Sensitivity: 86 dB

Crossover: 4000 Hz

Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal

Dimensions: H x W x D: 345 x 255 x 255 mm. Bottomplate: W x D: 140 x 210 mm

Weight: 13 kg each unboxed

Hifi-Stallet-2022-05-27-13.51.38.jpg

Edit:
They weren't Crazy-Ass, but still the brand lives on after Bo Hansson's passing...

MAB

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what it looked like at Bo Hansson's home.Horn opening in the floor in the living room: :)
View attachment 244207

Here, newly produced Rauna concrete speakers, two-way speakers:

Rauna Vidar:

SPECIFICATIONS

Principle: Two-way bass reflex with reversible port. Phase-aligned drivers

Drivers: One 5.5-inch long-throw woofer, One 1-inch soft-dome tweeter

Frequency response: 48 Hz – 22.000 Hz +/- 3 dB

Sensitivity: 86 dB

Crossover: 4000 Hz

Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal

Dimensions: H x W x D: 345 x 255 x 255 mm. Bottomplate: W x D: 140 x 210 mm

Weight: 13 kg each unboxed

View attachment 244206
Yes. I will edit my post. Bosse did have large horns built in the basement but the picture may be another one.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 244201
No I never visited him. I have not been around much but I visited Olle Mirsch once to buy some kits. I got a glimpse of his super Rondo speakers. Really beautiful. Only one piece made.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Actually it's the inverse, Class A amplifiers perform best with horn speakers.;)
Other speakers they just overheat, run out of power and distort.
Always horn speakers were super efficient? Allowing low power input for a high volume output.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Actually it's the inverse, Class A amplifiers perform best with horn speakers.;)
Other speakers they just overheat, run out of power and distort.
Don’t really know what you mean by this, any chance you could explain?
Thanks

MAB

Major Contributor
Don’t really know what you mean by this, any chance you could explain?
Thanks
Apologies, it is a snarky statement about Class A. Yes, lemme explain, then you can yell at me if I get it wrong!:p

Horns and other efficient speakers can be driven by any good amp of any type, Class A, A/B, D, etc. Horn speakers, or any speaker for that matter, don't sound any different driven by Class A so long as the amps have reasonable performance and are matched for volume, and the Class A isn't driven beyond it's narrow performance envelope.
Class A by virtue of the exceptionally low efficiency can really only drive efficient speakers effectively, unless you listen at unrealistically low volume, or don't mind listening to the Class A amp distort as it reaches max power, which kind of defeats the purpose of Class A in the first place. I have two Class A amps, one is actually switchable to between Class A and Class A/B, the Class A mode has 1/4 the power and about twice the heat, so perhaps 8x less efficient than Class A/B... The sound is the same, but with only 30 Watts available needs to be paired with high efficiency speakers.

Occurs to me, I need to stop cracking jokes...;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, it is a snarky statement about Class A. Yes, lemme explain, then you can yell at me if I get it wrong!:p

Horns and other efficient speakers can be driven by any good amp of any power, Class A, A/B, D, etc. Horn speakers, or any speaker for that matter, don't sound any different driven by Class A so long as the amps have reasonable performance and are matched for volume, and the Class A isn't driven beyond it's narrow performance envelope.
Class A by virtue of the exceptionally low efficiency can really only drive efficient speakers effectively, unless you listen at unrealistically low volume, or don't mind listening to the Class A amp distort as it reaches max power, which kind of defeats the purpose of Class A in the first place. I have two Class A amps, one is actually switchable to between Class A and Class A/B, the Class A mode has 1/4 the power and about twice the heat, so perhaps 8x less efficient than Class A/B... The sound is the same, but with only 30 Watts available needs to be paired with high efficiency speakers.

Yes, to flog the poor joke further. My horns take about 20mW average at 85dB where I listen. Obviously, lots of power is not required, even allowing for enormous musical peaks.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Horns and other efficient speakers can be driven by any good amp of any type, Class A, A/B, D, etc. Horn speakers, or any speaker for that matter, don't sound any different driven by Class A so long as the amps have reasonable performance and are matched for volume, and the Class A isn't driven beyond it's narrow performance envelope.

Keep the jokes coming... :)

I mostly agree with your post above. You can have a high powered Class A amp, but the room will get massively heated, your energy bill will go up, and the amp(s) will cost a bundle.

As for sounding the same? Big debate there... been going on for decades.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor

Or my sense of humour needs working on!

Waxx

Major Contributor
This is also a crazy, a 5million speaker casted in 24 karat gold... The "Hart Audio D&W Aural Pleasure"

FC6BMkk3CppSbgTdN8atf5-970-80.jpg.webp

and to stay on the theme, the summum of ugliness and bad taste... The Audiovisual Art Fusion, custom build for one of their clients. If you need to ask the price you're not rich enough to buy it they say...
273383980_10223187553131213_5847276545537679635_n.jpg

Top Bottom