• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2020 Corvette Convertible $66,400

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously considering not owning a car.
Keith

If I lived in a city like London I definitely wouldn't. In the 12 years or so I have worked in London I have driven in twice and it was awful. In a city which is very walkable and with great public transport I would just hire a car when I needed one.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I lived in a city like London I definitely wouldn't. In the 12 years or so I have worked in London I have driven in twice and it was awful. In a city which is very walkable and with great public transport I would just hire a car when I needed one.
... and get a folding bike like the Brompton.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously considering not owning a car.
Keith
I didn't own a car whilst I lived in London. Bus and tube is fine with the occasional taxi when I had something big to carry, I only remember needing one once, to get my KEFkit 3 kits from Audio T in Oxford Street to Evelyn Gardens in South Kensington where I was renting a room (for £3 a week...)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and get a folding bike like the Brompton.

I used to use one, but I rarely go out of zone 1, and if you stay within zone 1 London is a great walking city. I used to have an office near Victoria station and walked from Euston to Victoria and back, my normal route went through Seven Dials or Covent Garden, through Trafalgar square, down the Mall and past Buckingham palace. It was a wonderful start and end to the working day. Now my office is next to the gherkin in the city and again the walk between Euston station and work is a great way to wake up and then wind down. If you know London reasonably well walking is competitive with alternative options for many journeys in terms of time too.

DKT88

Google personalizes it's searches, you know! Your tracks are easy to follow...
oh right, doh, I should know that, really need to use duckduckgo or brave 1577889029152.png

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I think part of the problem is that there are clearly still people who think a 7.3l engine for a personal transport vehicle is a good idea...
Vette can carry two people! To be serious I believe that everybody knows that a Corvette or any sports car isn't supposed to solve global warming or traffic jams in megacities. 1000-1800cc motorbikes with 250hp neither. they are just toys for boys, like hifi dacs, turntables and amplifiers. Cutting down trees and setting up irrigation systems for golf courses of skiing slopes is equally insane environmentally.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In fairness few of the things that make life enjoyable make much sense if considered from a utilitarian perspective. Music is one of the Joy's of life but is about the emotional response, cycling can be a very sensible way of getting from A to B but I just cycle for pleasure, we need certain nutrients and potable water to live but many of us love food for the pleasure it brings and put a lot of effort into getting ingredients end cooking. I love the sound of high performance engines and enjoy driving, it is just that I find EVs are much nicer to drive and if you can drive with lower emissions then that is good. I think we do face real challenges as societies going forward but I think we can be more responsible custodians of the planet and still enjoy life.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think part of the problem is that there are clearly still people who think a 7.3l engine for a personal transport vehicle is a good idea...

Tell that to a farmer or rancher in the US, preferably in person so you can see his reaction.

On a different note regulations certainly do change the playing field and often tilt it. However, consumer preferences and available products play a roll as well. The move away from large sedans was also fueled by the invention of the minivan and crossover utility vehicle. The popular in the US large pickup trucks could have been regulated out of existence had there not been an intent to allow their continued production.

Diesels are not inherently evil. There was no problem until regulators decided to push for near zero emissions of NOx. That was followed by cheating. Diesel engines are efficient. They are also necessary because when crude is refined it's one of the resulting products along with petrol, jet fuel, heating oil, bunker fuel and even tar. For long haul trucking diesels will not be regulated out of existence because there is no replacement.

Finally, it's pretty clear the term Nazi should not be thrown around casually. Please reserve it for the real thing.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Or an Australian who has just lost a loved one ?
Keith

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Tell that to a farmer or rancher in the US, preferably in person so you can see his reaction.
I wish Ford brought back the Excursion... And put the new 7.3L pushrod in it.

A turbo in the Expedition just feels un-American.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]
Diesels are not inherently evil. There was no problem until regulators decided to push for near zero emissions of NOx. That was followed by cheating. Diesel engines are efficient.
That's correct. And as far as I know cheating was not necessary at all. The technology exists but was not used for other (financial?) reasons. The decision for this "solution" has backfired though.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to use one, but I rarely go out of zone 1, and if you stay within zone 1 London is a great walking city. I used to have an office near Victoria station and walked from Euston to Victoria and back, my normal route went through Seven Dials or Covent Garden, through Trafalgar square, down the Mall and past Buckingham palace. It was a wonderful start and end to the working day. Now my office is next to the gherkin in the city and again the walk between Euston station and work is a great way to wake up and then wind down. If you know London reasonably well walking is competitive with alternative options for many journeys in terms of time too.
I agree, I walk 20 mins from Waterloo train station to the office, and back again in the evening. Public transport is barely any quicker, at a brisk pace it's exercise, but most importantly for me it's low stress, walking gets the blood moving in the morning, and clears the head in the evening.

Willem

Major Contributor
And with the restrictions on car driving in inner London the air is certainly cleaner.
In the meantime the Tesla model 3 has just become the best selling car in the Netherlands.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
London has one of the best public transport systems in the world. Forget ideology or saving the world, using public transport is just so much easier and more convenient than driving in London. And despite whinging about the price if you tap in/out with your bank card or an oyster card it is a lot cheaper than driving, and that is before thinking about parking costs. As I say, I prefer to walk but use public transport when it is bickering down and the system works very well.
For my journey into London I use the train, a fast train from MK central to Euston only takes 32 minutes and there is something over 100 trains a day in each direction. Even the all stops slow train is an hour, which is still faster than I could drive to Euston.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The naked ape is ruthless, selfish and greedy. Those that become "successful" in our sense of the word tend to be the most ruthless, most selfish and most greedy IME. This means that all politicians and business leaders target voting at the next election and tomorrows share price above anything. Expecting them to be doing what is right in the long term is naive at best.
???
You seem to completely misunderstand how a Representative Democracy form of government works. Yes, elected officials are supposed to answer to the will of the people, and the vote is designed to insure things work that way as best as possible.
In 1863 Abe Lincoln wrote,
" It is for us, the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here, have, thus far, so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

But Sal, the Nazi term is very difficult to read for some people.
As it is for me. My father, uncles, and millions of other Americans along with the forces of the other Allied countries fought to crush the form of government the seeked to dominate the people of entire planet. Never forget the how and why the millions died. Yes, NEVER FORGET
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would welcome benign despotism if it saves the planet.
Keith

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These discussions on geographical and availability of mass transit are exactly why there are discrepancies in opinions here I think.

I was in Barcelona training for about 10 days and used the subway system to get around and did a lot of walking.

I grew up in South Texas about 100-150 miles to most major cities (Dallas is about 330 miles)

Texas is about 678,000 sq km and Spain approx 505,370 sq km.

Spain has almost double the population so I’m assuming the people are more concentrated in certain areas.

If you don’t restrict your thinking to your own situation you might have a different perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom