• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

tknx

I almost fell right back into the hype machine, and then santify - why the hell am I even contemplating this when I am so perfectly happy with my EM6Ls.

It would take a lot for me to spend over $150 right now on an IEM... so I will wait for reviews and see.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I almost fell right back into the hype machine, and then santify - why the hell am I even contemplating this when I am so perfectly happy with my EM6Ls.

It would take a lot for me to spend over $150 right now on an IEM... so I will wait for reviews and see.
Kind of in the same boat. Already have Crinacle Reds, and EM 500 LM's, so IDK when and if I'll go the next tier, or, even for that matter, what the next tier truly offers. The ones that compete based on my research are the Kiwi Ears Quintet, Gizaudio Chopin, and Truthear's own Nova. Think it would be ridiculous to buy all four of those, even though I'm sure they're all pretty good. Question is whether they're really better than what I already have paid for, and, if so, which one makes the most sense to buy based on sonics, value, and aesthetics. (Yeah aesthetics! If you're spending $150+, they should look nice. Real nice!)

EddNog

Currently rocking a pair of Tangzu x HBB Zetian Wu Heydeys. Do you guys think this would be a decent upgrade?

-Ed

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’ve changed my mind about them, think I’ll pass as they have way less bass than my meteors, less of a tuck at the noisy shouty bit at 5kHz to 6kHz and way less treble extension which I like in my electronic music.

53626303541_be3bf3b6c6_c.jpg

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Currently rocking a pair of Tangzu x HBB Zetian Wu Heydeys. Do you guys think this would be a decent upgrade?

-Ed
If you look below you can decide but they measure practically identical, if you use the dsp cable then they will sound different, better? - thats up to you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What exactly is the unique value proposition of this IEM supposed to be?

raif71

Major Contributor
Some are saying since yesterday is "you know what day it was" so ...

EddNog

EddNog

Absolutely, if good fit can't be acquired the FR graph matters little.
Well, beyond that, texture, timbre, dynamics, they’re all separate from frequency response/extension, so I feel like just comparing FR curves doesn’t say a lot. Or are there people who would dispute this and only look at FR and nothing else (from an acoustic standpoint)?

-Ed

markanini

Major Contributor
Well, beyond that, texture, timbre, dynamics, they’re all separate from frequency response/extension, so I feel like just comparing FR curves doesn’t say a lot. Or are there people who would dispute this and only look at FR and nothing else (from an acoustic standpoint)?

-Ed
My thinking is that details, texture, spatial retrieval come from FR. But the in situ FR is augmented by fit and individual anatomy, measurement rigs can't account for every situation.

If anyone want to know for themselves they can buy multiple inexpensive IEMs that measure similarly, or EQ multiple IEMs to the same target. Then ask a friend to help you make a blind test.

tknx

All that Bad Guy chart made me think is that I love my Simgot EM6Ls more and more. I guess I am in the older, slightly higher treble crowd class that Dr. Olive talks about in this call.

Anyway, to get back to topic, here is a live impressions review by The Headphone Show of the Dusk. Interestingly they basically say DSP mode is the way to go and I agree that it seems that Crin designed to minimize DSP but it is still needed.

Overall, the vibe for me is the Dusk is a bit of a miss. Not sure it is nearly as revolutionary as the B2D was at the time, the market has moved on so very much.

Dazerdoreal

I think some of you made a little mistake. By looking at the graphs, it is quite obvious that for BadGuy
"Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk" = "Moondrop Dusk"
"Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK" = "Moondrop Dusk 2".

This is confusing.
But if you look at the Squig graphs, the DSP Profiles are also for the "Moondrop Dusk 2".
So it is clear that with "Moondrop Dusk 2", he means the "Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK".

It also suits to what Crinacle said in the video: Better extended treble, no 6k peak.

EddNog

I think some of you made a little mistake. By looking at the graphs, it is quite obvious that for BadGuy
"Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk" = "Moondrop Dusk"
"Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK" = "Moondrop Dusk 2".

This is confusing.
But if you look at the Squig graphs, the DSP Profiles are also for the "Moondrop Dusk 2".
So it is clear that with "Moondrop Dusk 2", he means the "Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK".

It also suits to what Crinacle said in the video: Better extended treble, no 6k peak.
Thanks so much! This definitely makes me feel it is more of an upgrade from my Zetian Wu HBB Edition.

-Ed

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Based on the measurements I bet these will sound significantly better than the EM6L (unequalized).
Kind of in the same boat. Already have Crinacle Reds
They will be a lot closer to the Truthear Zero Reds. Likely a more refined version. How much different is anyone's guess.
I’ve changed my mind about them, think I’ll pass as they have way less bass than my meteors, less of a tuck at the noisy shouty bit at 5kHz to 6kHz and way less treble extension which I like in my electronic music.

53626303541_be3bf3b6c6_c.jpg
You get a DSP cable with an extra bass setting. He already knew you were going to ask for it :)
The ones that compete based on my research are the Kiwi Ears Quintet, Gizaudio Chopin, and Truthear's own Nova. Think it would be ridiculous to buy all four of those, even though I'm sure they're all pretty good.
Yeah. I think out of all of those I would get the Nova and EQ it; but then again I would just get the Red. I would also just spend a little more and get the AFUL Performer 5 if I were curious what a little "more" gets me in that range.

As for Crin, I think he's making adjustments in all the right places, so I think his ears are similar to mine. The Dusk would probably be the next step up from the Performer 5's. Either them or the Thieaudio Hype 2's.

tknx

I always end up using mine with a BT cable, so I can only compare against unequalized. TBH, I'll just wait and see, I almost never buy IEMs anymore until they have been out for 6 months since the hype machine is too intense in this fast churn market

Guermantes

-Ed
What quantifiable properties of transducers would be described as "texture" and "timbre"?

According to the ASA (via Wikipedia):
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) Acoustical Terminology definition 12.09 of timbre describes it as "that attribute of auditory sensation which enables a listener to judge that two nonidentical sounds, similarly presented and having the same loudness and pitch, are dissimilar", adding, "Timbre depends primarily upon the frequency spectrum, although it also depends upon the sound pressure and the temporal characteristics of the sound".

Could we determine how well a transducer handles these qualities of sound from FR + THD measurements?

Top Bottom