• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for IEM 2024 (Jan-Feb)

gersones

Hi. I (think I) made a basic research and people were suggesting Blessing 2 Dusk but it's harder to find it (specially locally) so I'd like to ask you all if it's better value for money than Blessing 3 Moondrop and the Sennheiser IE200, IE300 or IE600 (I don't mind the difference in this price range). I'll use it for IEM but nothing would stop me from using it in the bus/subway too. What do you think?

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Value for money makes me think of Simgot EA500LM, per reviewer impressions. I haven't heard it yet, but it appears to measure close to the Dusk:
1705884320284.png

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Moondrop Blessing 3 sitting in a box behind me. I'm using my 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 which costs $24 on Amazon. It's value for money like you have no idea... Truthear Zero Red is another I have to dual use music and gaming. More comfortable, sound stage a little more open sounding, and such low bass distortion is ideal for explosion heavy environments like gaming and action movies. The Sennheiser IE600 was excellent, but small sound stage just be design of how tiny they are. Beware of fakes though, Sennheisers IE series has a lot of them. There's way to spot them though.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personal sound preferences?

If EQing to Harman target, 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 is your full stop. No need to look for other IEMs unless you are looking for something that's opposite of Harman curve

I'm in the Anti-Harman in the IEM FR preferences where I want +3dB in midbass so it's a flatter rise from mids to subbass and prefer a relatively flat curve from 2-5 KHz in the presence region, and that's because the pinna gain adjusted to the Harman Curve is perceived by me as shouty/piercing. If you're interested in that sound signature, just look at the IEM (Campfire Audio Andromeda) in my profile pic :)

OP
G

gersones

@majingotan
To be truth, I (still) don't understand anything about curves and so.
I registered to this forum expecting to learn a little.
How can I find my personal sound preference? "Messing" with EQ?

If I didn't get it wrong, each IEM was "build" with a EQ/curve in mind, is that so?
If so, mine would be something like Harman with flat low-mids.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I didn't get it wrong, each IEM was "build" with a EQ/curve in mind, is that so?
If so, mine would be something like Harman with flat low-mids.

Yes. That's correct

I know exactly which one would suit that Harman with flat low-mids curve, and that is the Thieaudio Monarch MKII or Effect Audio Gaea or Symphonium Crimson. You can't go wrong with either of these three

gaea graph.png

markanini

Major Contributor
Might be hard to know before hand. Buying a few inexpressive sets with varying tuning styles might help you sus out your preference. Might as well do that for other reasons too like determine what a better firing set feels like, since that's very personal.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
To start, you could try either of these inexpensive options:

They are both very close to the Harman target and will give you an idea of what that sounds like. You can then decide if you like this target, or, if not, what you don't like about it, too much bass, too little, etc.. You can also try using EQ to adjust it to see what you do like.

To be truth, I (still) don't understand anything about curves and so.

The Harman target curve is based on what most people seem to prefer and sounds "right" to most people, so chances are, you'll like IEMs with a frequency response that follows it fairly closely. However, it's not a hard and fast rule, and some people will prefer a sound that deviates from the target, to a greater or lesser extent.

Here is an illustration of frequency response that shows how an increase or decrease in volume at various frequencies effects the sound:

1706030007527.png

Borrowed from @solderdude: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
OP
G

gersones

To start, you could try either of these inexpensive options:

They are both very close to the Harman target and will give you an idea of what that sounds like. You can then decide if you like this target, or, if not, what you don't like about it, too much bass, too little, etc.. You can also try using EQ to adjust it to see what you do like.

The Harman target curve is based on what most people seem to prefer and sounds "right" to most people, so chances are, you'll like IEMs with a frequency response that follows it fairly closely. However, it's not a hard and fast rule, and some people will prefer a sound that deviates from the target, to a greater or lesser extent.

Here is an illustration of frequency response that shows how an increase or decrease in volume at various frequencies effects the sound:

View attachment 344377
Borrowed from @solderdude: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

Thank you so much!

OP
G

gersones

Plus:
Thanks! Have lots of study to do :)

OP
G

gersones

I have the Moondrop Blessing 3 sitting in a box behind me. I'm using my 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 which costs $24 on Amazon. It's value for money like you have no idea... Truthear Zero Red is another I have to dual use music and gaming. More comfortable, sound stage a little more open sounding, and such low bass distortion is ideal for explosion heavy environments like gaming and action movies. The Sennheiser IE600 was excellent, but small sound stage just be design of how tiny they are. Beware of fakes though, Sennheisers IE series has a lot of them. There's way to spot them though.
Hey @Dunring , what could you say about your Moondrop Blessing 3?
I'm waiting for both 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 and Sennheiser E200.
As I have to import (can't find almost none "alternative" buds locally) and, including what my country taxes, the final price is doubled. Basically, I got the first for about $50 and the latter for $200.
The Truthear Zero Red would cost me about $120.
And I'm able to get the Moondrop Blessing 3 for about $690

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been switching back and forth between the Sennheiser IE200 (iem) and the Sennheiser HD650 (full size headphones) today. I can't decide which one I like better. They both sound great. I think the IE200 has a slight edge in bass response on most songs. I'm not using any EQ. Listening to The Eagles Greatest Hits on CD, using the Eversolo Dac Z8 as a dac and headphone amp.

If you decide on any IEM, be sure to get an extension cable for it. Even on my desktop setup the cable that came with the IE200 was too short.

OP
G

gersones

I've been switching back and forth between the Sennheiser IE200 (iem) and the Sennheiser HD650 (full size headphones) today. I can't decide which one I like better. They both sound great. I think the IE200 has a slight edge in bass response on most songs. I'm not using any EQ. Listening to The Eagles Greatest Hits on CD, using the Eversolo Dac Z8 as a dac and headphone amp.

If you decide on any IEM, be sure to get an extension cable for it. Even on my desktop setup the cable that came with the IE200 was too short.
Thank you

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing for me is better than a universal IEM that fits my ears like a custom IEM

1706941282018.png

Top Bottom