• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM vs Open Back Headphones

Haider

Hi,

I'm have a pair of HiFiMan Sundara, I have been listening them with a PC, Peace/Equaliser APO (parametric EQ), E1DA dac. I like listening in another room I have an rPlay (DTS PlayFi streamer) an rHead amp but don't like the sound of the Sundara's without EQ, it's not a full bodied sound. Is there a hardware parametric EQ I can buy? Would something like a Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk or Variations be upto the Sundara standard. I don't like the boxed in sound of closed back headphones. I have some Truth Ear x Crinacle Zero; I like the tuning but the sound quality leaves something to be desired...

Thanks
Haider

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Qudelix 5K ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not sure you will ever get a pair of IEM that replicate the "sound" of a pair of full size open backs, in the same way no headphone can reproduce the effect of speakers. Tonality perhaps but not the "feel".

The Qudelix 5k portable amp with PEQ can drive the Sundara in balanced mode.

The Dusk or Variations are very good IEM but are still ear bungs and have a more closed , "in head" experience than open headphones.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the Sundara a few times and the soundstage is very wide but no depth front to back. The upgrade path for headphones would be the Ananda stealth or Audio Technica adh1000x. For IEMs the Seeaudio Yume II has depth and wide soundstage and sounds as good or better, won't miss any details on those.
Personally I use the Simgot EA500 since they're so good all around with no EQ. Also the Moon drop Kato is excellent all around and would use them every day also. Even the Starfield is fun on a bun for less money.

OP
H

Haider

Slight change here I like the Sundy's and the WIM Pro/Pro+ has a 4 band PEQ. I use Amir's settings which covers three bands to get the Harman target. So I'm going to get the Pro+ from Amazon for £229...

Top Bottom