• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 341 86.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Illegal" signals can, and will appear with highly processed or electronic music.
Not that it matters, though.
Suppose on purpose in some productions ? but in general DAW and plugin vendors allegedly have god controls?
So resampling , EQ and filters should behave ?
You are probably rigth you have more real experience in this than me .

Does it happen in loudness war production when crushing everything to the max ? I suppose if something in an effect or plugin clips you get “illegal” signals .

I suspect some old Shrillex songs of this and all other sins you can comit in a music production at the same time :)

KSTR

Major Contributor
Does it happen in loudness war production when crushing everything to the max ?
Yes. Even a perfectly conforming input signal, properly band-limited by the recording ADC will stop being properly band-limited with heavy dynamic processing or by just simple hard-clipping. Same goes for intersample-overs.
The best way to mitigate this is processing at a much higher sample rate like 4x or 8x and apply proper filtering and IS-over protection before down-sampling to the final rate.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The funny thing in that is that previous Mytec stuff use SMPS :)

Maybe time to upgrade for the followers?

(I admit I'm a sucker for linears,I would put Salas in my coffee machine if I could :p )
Clearly, the design faults of the Mytek are not just about linear vs. switching, but several other compounding issues.

It’s been demonstrated that linear power supplies are not uniformly better than switching power supplies in audio applications. The Benchmark AHB2 is one of the most notable examples. Linears are superior in some applications, but the design engineer has to decide what tradeoffs to make.

I love what Michael Fidler has written about his use of linear power supplies in his phono preamps, both unregulated and regulated. Ron Sutherland points to a different set of tradeoffs in his SMPS-powered preamps.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Clearly, the design faults of the Mytek are not just about linear vs. switching, but several other compounding issues.

It’s been demonstrated that linear power supplies are not uniformly better than switching power supplies in audio applications. The Benchmark AHB2 is one of the most notable examples. Linears are superior in some applications, but the design engineer has to decide what tradeoffs to make.

I love what Michael Fidler has written about his use of linear power supplies in his phono preamps, both unregulated and regulated. Ron Sutherland points to a different set of tradeoffs in his SMPS-powered preamps.
Sometimes is about the visuals too if you mess with this stuff (apart that is far easier),the total lack of harmonics in a nice linear makes nice charts.
Here a silly one of my 15-0-15.It's not even made with 78/7915 but with double 7815 from the drawer,the old DIY hack.

It's on one of the x-overs I have to play with,so a 80Hz is more suitable for detecting as with 1Khz everything lower than 250Hz (the filter freq) would be greatly suppressed.

mains noise.PNG

Nice and clean all the way,simple and will probably outlast me.
The fact that the filter is on (there's no other way,it's analog) adds extra points as filters can mess up things big time.

Edit:Here's one I took good care off,sadly it maxes my old interface's ability to measure it,I need a Cosmos ASAP:

Last edited:

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mytec can write whatever they want about the "sound" of their units. It has a lot of hum and can't even switch the filters - I would rate it a defect unit when it doesn't fulfill manufacturers specs.
Mytec is a valued name in the studio world ... after this post from the owner - not any more. Would never buy a device from them now.

AlfaNovember

> claim that he can hear filter difference down to almost -200dB

This amuses me. -200dB what? u? V? FS? That's something raised to the negative 9th power, innit? Regardless, that's gotta be like hearing the lightbulb warm up the room I'm sitting in.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
> claim that he can hear filter difference down to almost -200dB

This amuses me. -200dB what? u? V? FS? That's something raised to the negative 9th power, innit? Regardless, that's gotta be like hearing the lightbulb warm up the room I'm sitting in.
I think it's even worse scale is down in the Brownian motion of dust molecules in the air . :)

Speaking of the air ? those molecules move randomly ? if by miracle the -200dB popped out on the other end of the electronics and speakers ( which also is impossible in it's own way ) those faint soundwaves would be "destroyed" just by the random shuffling around by the air molecules :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's another kind of magic thinking mr watts use to fool himself and or the customers , the filter differences may show up at -300dB ( He has improved to -200dB ? it used to be -300dB ) in measurements . I think the magic thinking is that this somehow translates to some elusive unmeasurable quantity that does not show in the other measurements in the audio band ?

If we want to be positive the good thing is that chord i probably alone in having an actual proper filter , most other dac's have a bit lazy filters that leaks a itsy bitsy tiny bit .
It's not audible but technically it could be better . But at a cost a you could make much more substantial improvement in your hifi before considering this .

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
I think it's even worse scale is down in the Brownian motion of dust molecules in the air . :)

Speaking of the air ? those molecules move randomly ? if by miracle the -200dB popped out on the other end of the electronics and speakers ( which also is impossible in it's own way ) those faint soundwaves would be "destroyed" just by the random shuffling around by the air molecules :)
I found a paper (link dumped in the Roon thread) that shows that Chinese first-language speakers can kind of make out tonal events -6 to -12dB SNR embedded in a Gaussian background noise. Even such modest capabilities impressed me. There's some interesting work on how we discern speech (rather than tones) in various types of noisy backgrounds, but I haven't found any good results on sensing music signals in a noise field, but it is likely in the range...no reason to do that study?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found a paper (link dumped in the Roon thread) that shows that Chinese first-language speakers can kind of make out tonal events -6 to -12dB SNR embedded in a Gaussian background noise. Even such modest capabilities impressed me. There's some interesting work on how we discern speech (rather than tones) in various types of noisy backgrounds, but I haven't found any good results on sensing music signals in a noise field, but it is likely in the range...no reason to do that study?
We can hear down under the noise , but thats the ”normal” noise like the hiss on some CD’s or LP or Cassete :)

Ponder the supernatural ability when your program material is all noise from -80 dB and you still hear stuff -200dB :)

dB is logarithmic-12dB is really impressive in its own rigth !!

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's pretty normal, at least down to 8-10dB. A wide band noise has distributed power over all frequencies - look at the spectrum, the level at frequencies is lower as the integrated over all value from 20-20kHz. You can easily see a -10dB sine in the spectrum!
And we are way more sensitive to a singel sine as distributed noise.

There was an Audio Precision test CD with sine signals at -100dBfs - and a CD player can reproduce that and you can measure it in the noise of the player! Doesn't sound good ;-) but it's there.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shots fired...

Where is he getting the idea that there is an “angry attacking mob?” I don’t think anyone is angry, but rather stating matter-of-fact that middling measured performance for many thousands of dollars is a poor value proposition.

I get it—the Mytec does a lot of things crammed into a small box. Something had to give. As a result, the level of performance is not commensurate with its high price.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I don’t understand is since Brooklyn has an Audio Precision analyzer why does his product measure so poorly ?
It’s easy for me to understand. Features and size were prioritized over audio performance. Audio performance is still “good enough” and should be audibly transparent. However, you can get audibly transparent for many thousands of dollars less.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He expresses surprise that the Apple dongle is deemed *better* or *as good as* an exalted dac costing thousands (or words to that effect), yet output level and zero facilities aside, that damned Apple thing DOES sound good to the subjectivists ears and if your sound system has enough gain, I reckon it's all you need from a computer or suitable Apple phone... I suspect much of it is knee-jerk really, but to suggest Amir knows nothing about 'audio?' Beggars belief frankly.
Apple has enough money to be both a marketing-driven and engineering-driven company. I am not surprised they have been able to eke out the level of performance they have from their cheap, tiny dongles. A lot of brainpower (and development money) has gone into them.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some companies like Schiit and CEntrance respond to ASR by reengineering their products for better performance (and thus better value).
Better late than never.
Keith

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As a gaming PC user for over 2 decades, I don't get the point of audio streamers at all let alone something as expensively bad as this one.
Not sure, I use a Topping EX5 for my gaming PC.
I have a D70S + THX 789 on my workstation and I do game on that from time to time.

wunderkind

Is that a typo of an extra digit to the MSRP? At first glance it looked like another chi-fi black box.

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Roon Core, streamer, phono stage and analog preamplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $4999.
View attachment 351805

Top Bottom