• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

GA16SE

If I am not mistaken, at least some of the Arendal subwoofers have variable phase control. You can use that to adjust the phase of the subwoofer to align it with the LS60s at the crossover frequency.

That being said, it is not as versatile as using something like a miniDSP. They offer a number of different products that provide a wealth of crossover and EQ options. Just pick the one that suits your needs. That would be a better option in my humble opinion. The downside to that is that you will need to run a cable from the miniDSP to your main LS60. You could use a miniDSP model that includes a built-in streamer, or run a separate streamer.
I think the built-in streamer of KEF LS60 is somewhat friendly than the customized Volumio within a miniDSP SHD unit.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its usually no problem delaying the sub even more or use uts phase control.

The LS60 on it’s own does really take care of the opposite situation when the speaker has to be delayed vs the sub .

Can be solved via mini DSP but then it also has to do volume control duty something I really want the speakers to do so it can work its built in DSP on as high resolution input as possible.

The good solution is that LS60 bass management gets more flexible ?

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After a few months of using them:

The system ls60/tv/network is unstable with a WiFi or bluetuth connection. The only stable way is via a cable. My current solution is tv -> optical spdif-> new adi -> ls60. The RME also does room correction.

What is unstable:
- after TV and LS60 reboot the connection is stable over WiFi. Streaming is working well from Roon.
- things degrade over time esp. when the ls60 goes on/off. When they come back, TV sometimes see them sometimes not. How to make it work after that is complicated and not acceptable at this price point. I did not see an improvement with the last 2 firmwares.
- latency increased over time and I need to change the delay on the TV.

It is just too complicated to make it work. I think KEF should focus on fixing connectivity issues. It is not easy to do it well but blaming the network is not helpful. I can debug my network but I am an IT person and that should not be a requirement. I gave up and went with a cable solution via an extra RME. At least I got room correction for my troubles.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The system ls60/tv/network is unstable with a WiFi or bluetuth connection. The only stable way is via a cable. My current solution is tv -> optical spdif-> new adi -> ls60. The rem also does room correction.

What is unstable:
- after TV and LS60 reboot the connection is stable over WiFi. Streaming is working well from Roon.
- things degrade over time esp. when the ls60 goes on/off. When they come back, TV sometimes see them sometimes not. How to make it work after that is complicated and not acceptable at this price point. I did not see an improvement with the last 2 firmwares.

It is just too complicated to make it work. I think KEF should focus on fixing connectivity issues. It is not easy to do it well but blaming the network is not helpful. I can debug my network but I am an IT person and that should not be a requirement. I gave up and went to a cable solution via an extra RME. At least I got room correction for my troubles.
Discouraging. I had these issues with my LS50Ws in the early going, but they did iron out with upgrades. I try to get ethernet to all my streaming points, but using Roon over wifi worked perfectly for the last few months before I sold them. (Ubiqitui /Amplifi router).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

The system ls60/tv/network is unstable with a WiFi or bluetuth connection. The only stable way is via a cable. My current solution is tv -> optical spdif-> new adi -> ls60. The RME also does room correction.

What is unstable:

It is just too complicated to make it work. I think KEF should focus on fixing connectivity issues. It is not easy to do it well but blaming the network is not helpful. I can debug my network but I am an IT person and that should not be a requirement. I gave up and went with a cable solution via an extra RME. At least I got room correction for my troubles.
Cable always works, I have more issues with networks than everything else put together.
Keith

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello i went to hifi shop today and ordered a pair LS60 in black and 2ps of KC92 managed to get a pretty fair package deal for the bunch :)

I compared them to R5 , we used an KF92 for the audition with both speakers .

The sub integration worked well so i could test that on site .

Ken L

Hello i went to hifi shop today and ordered a pair LS60 in black and 2ps of KC92 managed to get a pretty fair package deal for the bunch :)

I compared them to R5 , we used an KF92 for the audition with both speakers .

The sub integration worked well so i could test that on site .
What’s your impressions after hearing both setups I’m curious. Thanks.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hard to describe , the family resemblance is there , the R5 is a tiny bit warmer and kind of charming , but ultimately it’s sound a bit more resonant fuzzy and “loudspeaker” if haven’t heard the LS60 I would have been perfectly happy with the R5 . LS60 I was to me cleaner and played the music and could disappear better in the soundstage that soundstage is slightly wilder
It’s hard to say anything about ls60 as it does so many things right nothing stands out.

But these are my very biased perceptions, just don’t treat them as information :) I found it hard to choose .

And their room and sigthed listening made it even harder ,

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said we used an KF92 even with R5 so we did not compare raw bass performance with the LS60 has too.
But we did use ls60 with and without sub .

Many people might not have felt the need for a sub with this speaker , but I had one for the last 24 years in my music system :)
This should hopefully last me a long time so I will get the means to eq the bass too , I’ll start of with a WiiM pro with its PEQ and possibly also my Music server as EQ .

Will have think about if Dirac is strictly needed and possibly also get an mini DSP if that’s the case .

Edit did not auditioned the R5 without sub can’t say how it performed without it .

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said we used an KF92 even with R5 so we did not compare raw bass performance with the LS60 has too.
But we did use ls60 with and without sub .

Many people might not have felt the need for a sub with this speaker , but I had one for the last 24 years in my music system :)
This should hopefully last me a long time so I will get the means to eq the bass too , I’ll start of with a WiiM pro with its PEQ and possibly also my Music server as EQ .

Will have think about if Dirac is strictly needed and possibly also get an mini DSP if that’s the case .

Edit did not auditioned the R5 without sub can’t say how it performed without it .
I am not sure I'd need a sub with an LS60, but I do with my current LS50 setup... albeit in a very subdued setup.
I admit I abandoned the whole full range at high SPL race, it does nothing for me and I never listen to high volume levels anymore.
Still waiting for a special racing red LS60 edition.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure I'd need a sub with an LS60, but I do with my current LS50 setup... albeit in a very subdued setup.
I admit I abandoned the whole full range at high SPL race, it does nothing for me and I never listen to high volume levels anymore.
Still waiting for a special racing red LS60 edition.
I do don’t listening to loud either but sometimes I do like it somewhat realistic .

Main purpose with these subs and eq is better in room performance with the bass and the speakers should never need to use thier DSP to protect their drivers .

And I’ve found it beneficial to relieve any ( all ) main speakers of sub bass duty ? The main speakers themselves performing better midbass and midrange .

But this system will not be used for movie’s.

Also my current room has large openings to other parts of the house and seem to eat bass .

For home cinema I had used an complete different approach with R series all around and frankly non KEF subwoofers as these don’t do the edge of tomorrow stuff :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how well the LS60 speakers are selling?

Are they success for KEF?

GA16SE

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how well the LS60 speakers are selling?

Are they success for KEF?
I think that only KEF might give comprehensive answers to these questions. It also depends on how transparent their approach is. Maybe it's sensitive data that they don't want to share with their competitors.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have adjusted the price it was 80000 SEK it’s now 60000 SEK and it’s simil around the world so get them while it’s hot :) I think the new price is better .

I think our fellow traditional “audiophiles” dismiss them as simple life style speakers which they are not , not as we know them .
It’s very sleek solution.

But many Byers in this price range would like to faff around with amps cables and DAC’s and more DAC’s :)

At thier new price you may need to get traditional speakers that’s bigger and cost more and then you don’t have any amps our sources ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have adjusted the price it was 80000 SEK it’s now 60000 SEK and it’s simil around the world so get them while it’s hot :) I think the new price is better .

I think our fellow traditional “audiophiles” dismiss them as simple life style speakers which they are not , not as we know them .
It’s very sleek solution.

But many Byers in this price range would like to faff around with amps cables and DAC’s and more DAC’s :)

At thier new price you may need to get traditional speakers that’s bigger and cost more and then you don’t have any amps our sources ?
Sorry to reply to myself :)

There are an awful lot of buyers stuck in the mindset that sound quality would suffer if they can not pick and choose the amps and DAC’s and source and cables .

I suffer away with class D amps and unknown DAC chips they are probably terrible :) and DSP the horror:eek:

Top Bottom