• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi
I asked KEF if the max spl value was quoted for a pair vs single speaker via email. Their response was that it was for a pair.

I send another email to ask the same question about the distortion data and IBX curves as well. Stay tuned…
Really. That’s a first. Would you mind posting their original response?

samysound

Really. That’s a first. Would you mind posting their original response?
Sure, I really appreciate KEF’s responsiveness to answer these questions. However, it would be nice if these sort details were specified in the white paper.

My question:

“How is the max spl of 111db specified for the ls60? Is that in a specific freq range? For a single speaker or a pair? In room?”

KEF response:

“Thank you for reaching out to us. Maximum Output is the highest SPL (Sound Pressure Level) a loudspeaker can produce over an extended period. Burst, or transient volume is not measured as that number can be quite high but is misleading. Proper measurement of Maximum Output is on the form of an average.
Since the LS60 is a 2 channel system this will be a spec listed for both speakers playing together.”

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sure, I really appreciate KEF’s responsiveness to answer these questions. However, it would be nice if these sort details were specified in the white paper.

My question:

“How is the max spl of 111db specified for the ls60? Is that in a specific freq range? For a single speaker or a pair? In room?”

KEF response:

“Thank you for reaching out to us. Maximum Output is the highest SPL (Sound Pressure Level) a loudspeaker can produce over an extended period. Burst, or transient volume is not measured as that number can be quite high but is misleading. Proper measurement of Maximum Output is on the form of an average.
Since the LS60 is a 2 channel system this will be a spec listed for both speakers playing together.”
Thanks, very much appreciated.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SPL of two speakers at 1m? Doesn’t make a lot of sense…

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if one could add a crest factor of 10 or 12 dB for transients... 105 DB for a pair at 1 Meter seems not a lot to me.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I asked KEF if the max spl value was quoted for a pair vs single speaker via email. Their response was that it was for a pair.

I send another email to ask the same question about the distortion data and IBX curves as well. Stay tuned…
Appreciated!

105dB continuous output per speaker is definitely nothing to scoff at!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Appreciated!

105dB continuous output per speaker is definitely nothing to scoff at!
Yep. Let´s see what distortion looks like, once we have the complete measurements. Or did KEF publish distortion in their white paper? (didnt look there yet I have to admit).

samysound

Yep. Let´s see what distortion looks like, once we have the complete measurements. Or did KEF publish distortion in their white paper? (didnt look there yet I have to admit).
Not sure if this a single speaker or a pair?

Attachments

• FCCA6466-C9F1-4A8D-A888-C87525A20DC0.jpeg
    FCCA6466-C9F1-4A8D-A888-C87525A20DC0.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 125

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While at it we should consider if the specified output is also in a room and not anechoic. If so it tells nothing.
Come to think about it, without distortion mentioned it's a rather meaningless metric.

They will likely play way louder than the vast majority of customers will need, but for those who have a greater demand they will fall way short. Best solution is to audition small speakers to find out if they fit the purpose because it's hugely audible when limiting and distortion sets in when pushed.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Not sure if this a single speaker or a pair?
Seems like that at ca 95dBSPL the distortion reaches already ca 1% for higher frequencies. And distortion won’t get any less for max. 111dBSPL. So with room gain one might just get the 100dB (1% distortion) for a 20dB headroom from an average of 80dBSPL.

Please correct me if I missed something.

zen87192

were there any other speakers you were also considering before you pulled the trigger on the LS60?
Hi samysound. No. I'm a Headphone/IEM user (Chord DAVE/Audeze LCD-5/Singxer SA-1/Fiio M17/UM Mext) currently and ordered these as they were an 'all in one' product that also fits my room space nicely. I don't really like huge speakers or ones that display loads of drivers. In addition to having no Amplifier any more this is s great solution. It's nice to sometimes play music in to the room with no need for Headphones so I thought this to be a great option. I've listened to the LS50 with KC62 Woofer but was not happy with all the boxes. With 35 various coloured units coming in to the UK in June and 30 units in July meant I couldn't hang around pondering on the purchase. I think they are all now sold and KEF UK are taking waiting list orders. I made use of the AR facility on the KEF website to see what they may look like in situ. Not bad but I may be moving the small cabinet (left hand side is the same) out of the way to allow more space around the speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_212023.jpg
    IMG_20220527_212023.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 248

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

samysound

Hi samysound. No. I'm a Headphone/IEM user (Chord DAVE/Audeze LCD-5/Singxer SA-1/Fiio M17/UM Mext) currently and ordered these as they were an 'all in one' product that also fits my room space nicely. I don't really like huge speakers or ones that display loads of drivers. In addition to having no Amplifier any more this is s great solution. It's nice to sometimes play music in to the room with no need for Headphones so I thought this to be a great option. I've listened to the LS50 with KC62 Woofer but was not happy with all the boxes. With 35 various coloured units coming in to the UK in June and 30 units in July meant I couldn't hang around pondering on the purchase. I think they are all now sold and KEF UK are taking waiting list orders. I made use of the AR facility on the KEF website to see what they may look like in situ. Not bad but I may be moving the small cabinet (left hand side is the same) out of the way to allow more space around the speakers.
I actually placed an order as well but was contemplating canceling it. I’m having a hard time judging the performance from specs. The convenience and form factor are great but not sure if I would be better off an active studio monitor like the rtm10 or even a passive like the sointuva.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Mr. Rubinson made a short comment about time in the WiSa thread that made me think, so sorry for the incoming rumbling. Keep in mind that all the following comes from someone who´s just a curious user who likes to listen to actual professionals; I lack the background on electronical engineering and software development. With that in mind, let´s go.

My experience with active speakers comes from listening to Genelec Ones and Kef LS50 Wireless II, which are meant for quite diferen aplications and employ quite different systems; I´ll focus on the Kef speakers for this. They have an rj45 jack; two in fact as one is used for wired internet connection and the other, to connect to the secondary speaker. Voodooless made the educated guess that chances are that the LS60, just like the 50, already use WiSa, so we can assume that the RJ45 jack is used to transfer digital audio.

So for a multichannel in a situation like this, would it be theoretically possible to connect several secondary speakers to a hub/switch via RJ45 cable allowing the content applied to the main speaker to "travel" to not just one but several speakers? This could allow to go beyond WiSa because with wired, it should be up to sofware development to handle the whole system.

If this is the case, the potential to add management for codecs (Dolby, DTS, Auro...) and eq (in house or licensed), would only be limited by the processor found on the main speaker. I have no idea if it´d be up to the task. Every speaker comes with a set of amps, a dsp instead of a crossover, a dac and a wireless module at least, with the master unit also including all the external connectors (RCA, HDMI, Coax...), so the potential to completely bypass an AVR or pre-amp is already there.

All in all, to expand the speakers beyond 2.2, it could be a matter of buying spare secondary units for the rear, sides, height and so on.

Let me say again that this comes from someone who teaches humanities for a living, so no idea if it´d be even possible or how hard it would be to turn Kef Connect into a "software AVR", so I migh be completely wrong.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So for a multichannel in a situation like this, would it be theoretically possible to connect several secondary speakers to a hub/switch via RJ45 cable allowing the content applied to the main speaker to "travel" to not just one but several speakers? This could allow to go beyond WiSa because with wired, it should be up to sofware development to handle the whole system.
Sure but that's possible with any LAN-connected devices, wired or wireless. One still needs the ability to route the appropriate channels to the appropriate addresses (speakers) and that can be handled in many ways. One is with a host running WiSA but, of course, is it limited to 8 channels at the moment (and that's OK with me, btw). I'd prefer all the DSP and distribution to be in an app hosted by my streamer and the target speakers, such as Dante or Ravenna or whatever. Having the DSP in each speaker seems, to me, to be a nightmare for control and integration as well as for the potential for the app to be compatible with multiple brands of speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are various audio standards that can do multichannel audio over Cat cables, some actually use Ethernet. Dante is one of them.

Top Bottom