• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most expensive speaker??????

Tom C

Major Contributor
FCA951E5-0309-421B-A630-31B2C45E8A15.jpeg

Pictured above is what I’d buy if I had the money. By Magico.

Pictured below is the most expensive I’ve ever heard of. Upwards of $1 million, I believe. By The Living Voice (UK).

8C741615-C186-439B-8A1D-A8A33BDF2470.jpeg

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the Magico horn better than the Magico S9?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder who buys these things.
Same people that buy anything expensive. People that have more money than they know what to do with and need to spend it someway.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well heeled audiophiles?
Two nights ago a guy dirives up in a big white Betley and sits down at a table outside to smoke. We were inside on the other side of the window. He loolked like an arab, a very dark caucasian. He ordered a bottle of wine and took his time, sometimes mixing with water. He didn't finish the wine. After 2 hours there alone he left without eating anything. The place has great food.

If he is a Saudi Royal he receives an allowance which likely puts him in 1% territolry. Maybe he likes music.

Houston does have a Wilson D'Augustino dealer for those with the need.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody heard any of these high dollar speakers enough to tell if they are good or not?

I've heard some speakers costing $40k to $68k per pair. In a large room they did sound impressive though some suffered from various ills like small sweetspot etc. I've heard a couple in problematic rooms that sound just horrible.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody heard any of these high dollar speakers enough to tell if they are good or not?

I've heard some speakers costing $40k to $68k per pair. In a large room they did sound impressive though some suffered from various ills like small sweetspot etc. I've heard a couple in problematic rooms that sound just horrible.

I have heard the Living Voices pictured in post # 23, in a big room, probably 50' x 50' x 30', and I thought they were terrific. I had no idea of the price tag. If they're really a million bucks, then no, I wouldn't contemplate them - seems absurd. A hundred grand, or two ... then maybe. They would bring me ten times the pleasure I get from, say, cars costing fifty grand.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The most expensive I’ve heard were Gauder Akoustik, Von Scheikert, Wilson Benesch, and Kef Muon. The cost on some of those were in the neighborhood of what we’re discussing here. But none, imo, were worth the price. In the stratosphere, I think it’s all about looks and style, not really better sound. The Magico horns above may or may not sound better than any given alternative, but I posted it because to me, it is an exquisite work of art. I’d have one for the same reason as buying a Picasso (or, more to my taste, Michelangelo) to put on the living room wall. Although I’ve seen some folks think the Magico horns are ugly monstrosities, I happen to find them beautiful.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me part of the fun in going to audio shows is hearing those crazy looking, crazy expensive speakers. If they sound great, that's a fun experience. If they sound like crap, that's kind of fun too (emperor's new clothes style). I've been impressed with the occasional mega speaker, but also like most here quite unimpressed. I remember one very tall $80,000 speaker that looked so impressive, but then I closed my eyes and considered: "only from the sound, what would I guess this speaker looks like?" I found the sound quality called to mind a table-top radio mated to a subwoofer. Frankly awful.

I often do the same close-my-eyes impression tests at shows. It often seems enlightening to some degree. Because on the other hand I've sat in front of incredibly goofy looking speakers that I'd never expect to sound good, but with eyes closed couldn't shake the impression of one of the most realistic "someone is playing an acoustic guitar right in front of me" sensations I've ever had.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I wonder who buys these things.

People whose net worths' have that extra digit or two...or three. At some point, it just doesn't matter.

Top Bottom