• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

Qbd

More likely to burn out whatever is switching the load rather than trip the breaker.
Maybe the situation is different in the US, but here in Norway most 16 A breakers will trip electromechanically (pretty much instantly) at either roughly 80 A or 160 A depending on breaker «characteristic». Several SMPS powered devices on the same breaker (e.g. several powerful computers) will easily trip them in practice.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They have definitely changed the datasheet over time. an old one on my PC shows the below for 4 ohm (closer to March Audio test).
Earlier had slightly more noise, less distortion, a tad more power @1kHz?
Wow I did not notice this before! Indeed the current revision of the NC502MP and NC252MP have lower noise and a little more distortion, but the trade off is worth it imo.
In spec sheet conditions the NC502MP reaches THD+N 0.00085% SINAD 101 in 1kHz 5W 4 ohms... Crazy good! o_O
Even IM low frequency distortion lowered almost 10 dB!

Listing updated:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Let’s try to move on from this connector orientation debate please.

Buckeye offers a no frills, pure performance focused product. It’s not eye candy, and this is where he shaves off major costs and passes these savings to customers. As a customer, I don’t want to look at the amp. I want to hear it and not see it. It’s a perfect match for my needs and based on Dillon’s back order wait list, I’m not alone in this.

Sure, the entire rear panel diccussion was talked about in the last Buckeye review. But why he hasn't taken it on board I don't know. As I had suggested, the rear panel should be inverted and orientation/placement would then be standard for all the connectors, switches, trigger and speakers terminals. Easy solution.

As it stands, it's totally illlogical, but it is what it is.

And I agree, for people who don't care what an amplifier looks like, they are good value.

Jbrunwa

And I agree, for people who don't care what an amplifier looks like, they are good value.
It’s true that some people value transparent sound quality and price over looks. People can also care what amplifiers look like and disagree with your judgement of aesthetics.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny reading some of the concerns about standard electrical wall outlets not being able to handle the Nc502mp. I would suggest users connect a Kill-a-watt to the amp and measure the electric draw at 85dB. Most of us are not exceeding that value as a norm and many are playing music at much softer volumes.

My Monolith 7X200 requires 140W the moment I turn it on with all seven channels running. Once I move the Denon 4700 to a volume setting of 65 the power use increases to 200W and that's a loud movie in my 24'x 28' home theatre. 250W to 300W is nothing on the wall outlet and yet it will drive you out of the room it's so loud. Seven speakers can generate a huge amount of volume - especially in multi-channel stereo mode. There is absolutely no reason to worry about having enough power at the wall unless you are completely deaf or wear ear protection designed for the gun range while watching your movies. :D

The Nc502mp will use much less power. As a comparison, my Purifi amp draws 16W with the Revel F328Be speakers at 75dB+ in stereo mode. It's a level that's hard to talk over and you better be more interested in the music than what the person next to you has to say. The Purifi and Nc502mp designs offer power efficiency much higher than AB designs. If you extract wall outlet needs based on the max the amp can provide versus what the Kill-a-watt shows at comfortable levels -- you will always be way off on what you think the wall outlet needs to provide.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding offering an 8ch NC502: that is one of my "ideas kicking around in my head" for the new year.

As mentioned, the VTV case is very deep to accommodate this setup. And as pointed out, most TV stands would have a hard time accommodating such depth without it sticking out the back considerably.

My thought would be a wider case but that would put it 20-22" wide for proper spacing. Again, going to look into options since it has been asked by customers throughout the year.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding offering an 8ch NC502: that is one of my "ideas kicking around in my head" for the new year.

As mentioned, the VTV case is very deep to accommodate this setup. And as pointed out, most TV stands would have a hard time accommodating such depth without it sticking out the back considerably.

My thought would be a wider case but that would put it 20-22" wide for proper spacing. Again, going to look into options since it has been asked by customers throughout the year.

Dear Buckeye,
Could there be a measurable difference in going with stereo NC502 amps instead of 3 to 4 NC502 modules mounted inside a single case? Could a multiple stereo NC502 case implementation offer less noise, distortion or heat? Or would it be the same no matter how many modules are packed in the case?

There are obvious other benefits to using stereo cases like:
1. The ability to easily use the amps in different rooms.
2. A failure of a module doesn't take the entire unit down.
3. Weight and size requirements are smaller.
4. The ability to locate amps closer to the speaker.
5. The ability to turn on just the amps needed at the time.
6. More flexibility.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, the entire rear panel diccussion was talked about in the last Buckeye review. But why he hasn't taken it on board I don't know. As I had suggested, the rear panel should be inverted and orientation/placement would then be standard for all the connectors, switches, trigger and speakers terminals. Easy solution.

As it stands, it's totally illlogical, but it is what it is.

In all fairness, @Buckeye Amps does have to burn off current case inventory first…

I know he was open to this idea when it was originally proposed. Does not fix all ills as the speakons would still remain a challenge. But for the most part, you are right that getting the inputs across the top would be a major improvement. The Apollon NCMP6200 amp layout may offer another improved approach. :)

Last edited:

Loron

Forum Donor
Cant wait to get my Buckeye! On
y 3 to 4 weeks waiting left. Lol
Great work Dylan!

gvl

Major Contributor
It's funny reading some of the concerns about standard electrical wall outlets not being able to handle the Nc502mp. I would suggest users connect a Kill-a-watt to the amp and measure the electric draw at 85dB. Most of us are not exceeding that value as a norm and many are playing music at much softer volumes.

I thought it all started with a comment about draw at continuous load when fed the signal from a generator. With real music, even if momentary peaks exceed the breaker rating it’s very unlikely to trip.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dear Buckeye,
Could there be a measurable difference in going with stereo NC502 amps instead of 3 to 4 NC502 modules mounted inside a single case? Could a multiple stereo NC502 case implementation offer less noise, distortion or heat? Or would it be the same no matter how many modules are packed in the case?

There are obvious other benefits to using stereo cases like:
1. The ability to easily use the amps in different rooms.
2. A failure of a module doesn't take the entire unit down.
3. Weight and size requirements are smaller.
4. The ability to locate amps closer to the speaker.
5. The ability to turn on just the amps needed at the time.
6. More flexibility.
I have had a few customers take this route: ordering multiple stereo amps vs one big amp. Some where for easy location to their speakers as you said, others were for moving around as they trialed different setups.

Weight and heat are positives to using multiple stereo cases.
However, one good thing about each module being self contained is if even one fails in a multichannel amp, you can still use the rest. And replacing a module by the consumer is fairly straight forward (have had two modules fail since starting this business...all I had to do was send out a new module, consumer replaces the faulty one and send it back for me to process the warranty RMA on it with Hypex)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

Is there a market for 1000/500/250/100W for a 4 way speaker? (Or 3 way with a sub?)

Hypex offer a 100HF add on that can tap into the existing NC252/NC502 etc.

What are the challenges bringing this to market?

With multi-way speakers, mids and tweeters barely need more than 100W peak.

It’s the woofer and subs that need a few dB more headroom…

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi,

Is there a market for 1000/500/250/100W for a 4 way speaker? (Or 3 way with a sub?)

Hypex offer a 100HF add on that can tap into the existing NC252/NC502 etc.

What are the challenges bringing this to market?

With multi-way speakers, mids and tweeters barely need more than 100W peak.

It’s the woofer and subs that need a few dB more headroom…
For me, the only challenge with offering more of the Hypex lineup is time and inventory. Another "kicking around in my head" idea come the new year is looking at being able to reasonable add to my line-up with at least the 100HF modules.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Two 4 channel amps would probably work well for the Linkwitz LX521.4. I've thought about building those speakers but wanted to see a good crossover that went direct from digital to DSP. IMO mini DSP isn't good enough for that purpose.

Shanman

Forum Donor
I am in the process of off-loading the internal amps on a Denon 8500h to these two amps. In the final configuration 9.2.6 setup. The Buckeye 502’s will drive the base 9 speakers that are all tower speakers and the front height that are center size speakers. The remaining 2 sets of height speakers (middle & rear heights) will remain driven by the Denon. At least that’s the plan. ;)
NINE towers?? That's a bunch of air moving!

tktran303

Forum Donor
Two 4 channel amps would probably work well for the Linkwitz LX521.4. I've thought about building those speakers but wanted to see a good crossover that went direct from digital to DSP. IMO mini DSP isn't good enough for that purpose.

Interesting. It was officially endorsed, and actually was how it was used by the late Sigfried Linkwitz.

What concern do you have with it?

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yes it has about 82% efficiency in 4ohm so 600W (measured by Amir) out = 730W drawn power per channel.

So the answer to your question What means “6 times 600 watts”?? is 4.4kW of drawn power !

Unless it is subwoofers, or tones, the usually musical crest factor is often about 13 dB.

So that 4400 W would be a musical 200w. Or with 4 surrounds and 2 subs maybe 1kw,

A clamps meter would be a handy way to get a Handle on it.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Interesting. It was officially endorsed, and actually was how it was used by the late Sigfried Linkwitz.

What concern do you have with it?
Me wondering as well... I have a pair of diy 4-way dipoles. I was one of people promoting 4x10HD to SL when I met him in 2014.

Minidsp 4x10HD performs very well by test and it can digest digital stereo signal up to 24/96

Me, myself and I am feeding my 4x10HD with stereo RCA signal and it works just fine that way too, no noise issues. My AVR's optical out has fixed level, and I want to use it to choose source and to set spl level. Easy for the whole family usingTV, Netflix, Spotify,radio, DVD, CD, vinyl etc.. Minidsp and ICEPower amp modules have been power on all the time, for 8 years so far. When AVR gets multichannel signal, it automatically uses it's center and rear channel amps and passive speakers too.

I use ICEPower stereo modules, 100+50W in a box. First I installed all four modules in a box, but it tipped the relay. Obviously, without soft start, capacitors drew enormous current when power was swictched on. I have measured power consumption when 2xICE modules are running, and it's just a few watts with normal spl, about 20W when my ears are hurting.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
The design/implementation decisions have everything to do with cost. And in this old goat’s experience, low cost wins every time.

Walter

With respect to the. XLR orientation, I personally don't care much but would probably vote for lower height over proper orientation. I have seen instances before where a handful of of vocal forum members bring about a change that later proved to be highly unpopular with the majority. Before Buckeye considers making any change, I'd suggest he take a poll of the constituency that matters most: his actual customers.

Top Bottom