• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The world has changed around us John. When I got into photography in early 1980s, I bought an $800 telephoto lens and thought that was so much money. Fast forward 20 years later and I go to photo shoots with my $10,000 telephoto lens and look around and everyone has similar telephoto lenses costing $6K to $12K (all are white Canon lenses and are large so you can spot them for a mile away). People spend a lot of money on their hobbies these days. Samsung announced their new fold 3 phone and it is almost $2,000.

Yeah, you are right. I saw a dude taking pics at the airport near us with a giant Canon white lense the size of a newtownian reflector telescope. He was taking shots of the planes from underneath as they took-off and landed. Just because he liked planes undercarriages.

I think it was like this bazooka lens:
1629446579506.png

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But what do we mean by "DSP" exactly ? Fixed values PEQ bands ? Or the sort of feedback mechanism seen in some ANC headphones for example ? The latter is a pretty terrific way to solve many issues that have plagued closed backs in particular at lower frequencies, and we're nearing the point where its drawbacks are getting eliminated.
I mean the usual variable value PEQ recommendations used to try match better a predefined target. Yes, a negative feedback control like ANC is a very good method but like you say it just works in the bass region, so we are not at all in the point where drawbacks of correcting a poor mechanics drivers or acoustics environments electronically.

In general the main issue that I personally have with PEQing headphones is less the application of PEQ per se but knowledge of the actual FR on my head. I'd be curious to learn whether or not and how the AMTS improves the desirability of the HPTF.
That is an additional and important but different problem and challenge at EQing headphones.

Saidera

Although expensive products likely always existed in any age, it could be that the Internet spreads information much faster.

Upon seeing the title, the design, and the price, I thought I'd need to take a look at this review. I had this gut feeling that it wasn't just any review. And I was right!

So when are the headphone manufacturers going to be able to match this game-changer's performance? This could be years ahead of the competition.

RHO

Major Contributor
Biggest question at this point is where to buy DC headphones in Europe. My girlfriend hates my Ananda because of the sound leakage, and something like the Aeon RT Closed would be great. Issue being I can't find it anywhere in Europe.
I strongly support the idea that Europeans need to have a better access to DCA headphones!
They are available in Europe, only not the Aeon RT. All the other models are imported and distributed by Dune Blue for instance.

Chester

Although expensive products likely always existed in any age, it could be that the Internet spreads information much faster.

Upon seeing the title, the design, and the price, I thought I'd need to take a look at this review. I had this gut feeling that it wasn't just any review. And I was right!

So when are the headphone manufacturers going to be able to match this game-changer's performance? This could be years ahead of the competition.

That’s a good point. I wonder how some of the other manufacturers will be feeling once this starts to gain more attention. I’ve not heard Amir talk about a product in this way before so I am guessing this is something a bit special.

With regards to the price, yes it’s a lot of money and for some too much for a pair of headphones. I can totally understand that view. But if you want the absolute best, then the price is the price. Compare it to the competition, it’s a no brainer in my eyes. Engineering excellence at a premium or trash and marketing fluff at a premium.

And whoever said these should be sold for $400, that’s ridiculous and I’m guessing you’ve never run a business before.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:

• The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same products are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
Good L/R match.

This headphone does not really need EQing...
I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached for those who still want to try.

Score no EQ: 77.8
Score with EQ: 90.0

Code:
Dan Clark Stea APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
August202021-094250

Preamp: -2.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 108.23 Hz Gain -2.70 dB Q 1.13
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 282.93 Hz Gain -1.05 dB Q 2.63
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 540.35 Hz Gain 1.29 dB Q 2.57
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 981.29 Hz Gain -1.60 dB Q 1.82
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3588.49 Hz Gain 2.06 dB Q 2.70

View attachment 148555

Just a question: Is there a list or database of the scores for all headphones somewhere?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
" ... Mostly because I get so many excellent products to test and have my dream stereo that not much impresses me"

When I was a young pup, a co-worker decided to forgo buying a house and instead got a pair of Dahlquist DQ20's, a Macintosh amp, a high end turntable, and a subwoofer the size of Rhode Island.

Everything I heard after that was just plain average.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sure, Abyss are snakeoil, pure and simple where these seem to get the basic engineering right. But, even with an argument like 'recouping R&D costs' I can't believe there is anything in these phones to justify this kind of price. It's after all just a few hundred grams of plastic and metal. I'm sure Mr. Clark would still turn a handsome profit if these sold for $400 - which is still an expensive headphone in my book.

They look like pretty bog-standard gamer phones to me. Not really an æsthetic I find particularly appealing.
What about the R&D cost? You came up to 400$ how? How many units do you think would need to be sold if he was pricing this for 400$ to turn a profit?

Eldgrim

Biggest question at this point is where to buy DC headphones in Europe. My girlfriend hates my Ananda because of the sound leakage, and something like the Aeon RT Closed would be great. Issue being I can't find it anywhere in Europe.
Ark Audio in Sweden recently started selling DCA stuff. I'm pretty sure they can ship to most of Europe, but write them an email and ask!

KiyPhi

I can just say that as the sweep was going on at 94 dBSPL, it was barely audible. The pads are ultra soft and mold well against the fixture. You can even slide them forward and back and they hold their shape and hence seal.
I tend to break every seal regardless due to a combination of my glasses, head shape, facial hair, and hair length. How does this headphone behave when the seal is broken? Every other DCA headphone I've tried rolled off from the mids. Does this one have a higher acoustic impedance design like that or does it behave like a low acoustic impedance design? This headphone looks amazing but I wouldn't be able to get one if they roll off.

aandres_gm

They are available in Europe, only not the Aeon RT. All the other models are imported and distributed by Dune Blue for instance.
I've seen some models are available, yes. Unfortunately, the pricing keeps being significantly higher than overseas, and the fact we can't get the RT anywhere is very sad

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I tend to break every seal regardless due to a combination of my glasses, head shape, facial hair, and hair length. How does this headphone behave when the seal is broken? Every other DCA headphone I've tried rolled off from the mids. Does this one have a higher acoustic impedance design like that or does it behave like a low acoustic impedance design? This headphone looks amazing but I wouldn't be able to get one if they roll off.

Get a haircut, have a shave, buy some contact lenses.

:D

MCH

Major Contributor
Apparently the body and arch are titanium, carbon fiber and aluminum with suede and vegan leathery stuff I think it was when I read it.
Why carbon fiber? Anyone knows? Just the look of it or any specific performance property? (honest question)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why carbon fiber? Anyone knows? Just the look of it or any specific performance property? (honest question)
I'm guessing weight and strength. The shells/cups are made of aluminum. That hinge mechanism needs a strong base to maintain structural integrity

PeteL

Major Contributor
Do you mean that the roll off is more pronounced with DCA than the other brands? Reduced bass always happen when headphone seal poorly in my experience. Did you mean to say DCA headphones in general is not a good match for the shape of your face?

MCH

Major Contributor
I'm guessing weight and strength. The shells/cups are made of aluminum. That hinge mechanism needs a strong base to maintain structural integrity
Ok get it, thanks

Top Bottom