• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Ralferator

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL Stage A130 bookshelf speaker. I purchases these online but can't find the receipt. They normally cost US $300/pair but the place I bought them from has them for $209 right now.

The A130 looks plain until you take off the grill and then looks handsome:

View attachment 98289

I like the rounded corners which are easier on the hands and reduce diffraction:

View attachment 98290

On the other hand, I did not like the binding posts that were too close to each other and to the back of the cup:
View attachment 98291

Fortunately you only deal with them once.

I did not show the grill but it has metal pins and took fair amount of energy to pull it off. So someone was thinking of longevity given that the budget did not allow magnetic mount.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate mostly below 1%.

Temperature was 64 degrees F. Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

The grill was off and measurements were referenced to tweeter center.

JBL Stage A130 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 98292

Ignoring the three prominent peaks, on-axis response is actually quite flat. The cause of those peaks is quite evident if we measure each radiating surface at close distance:

View attachment 98293

Starting at the right, the tweeter is clearly peaking at around 15 kHz. Coming down we see the peak around 1.3 kHz which I think is caused by the port resonance (orange). There is another peak around 870 Hz which may be from the woofer itself or combination with the port.

Early window reflections show quite a similarity (for good or bad) with the direct on-axis sound:

View attachment 98294

Putting the two together gives us a predicted response that is slightly smoothed over version of on-axis:

View attachment 98295

From experience I know that the peaking from 900 to 2 kHz can actually be pleasant and far better than dips in that area. The final resonance likely is not very audible due its very high frequency and narrowness.

Here is our impedance plot which shows the resonances as well:
View attachment 98296

The fancy trademark JBL waveguide does it job well in controlling directivity:

View attachment 98297

View attachment 98298

These are active, professional monitor class directivity and not something we often see in bargain speakers.

I was pleased that we had more wiggle room vertically, making the height of the speaker less critical:

View attachment 98299

Most impressive was the low amount of distortion:

View attachment 98300

If those resonances were not there around 1 kHz and at 15 kHz, this would look even cleaner.

View attachment 98301

We can see our 50 dB reference line is barely exceeded until we get very low in frequency. Did not expect this.

JBL A130 Listening Tests
I started to listen to the A130 as is and as I suspect, the sound was pretty pleasant. Yes, the upper mid had the accentuation that I expected. This actually makes female vocals sound more detailed and more airy. But it was a bit much so I reached in my EQ tool and knocked those two resonances down plus the one at 15 kHz:

View attachment 98302

Not only did the first two notches clean up the response but it made the sound of the speaker super clean and effortless. There was a level of fidelity that was giving me goosebumps! I can only envision the cause being reduced distortion to go alone with the better response. The third filter made a very subtle difference but was still worthwhile.

Once there, I started to crank up the volume and this little speaker can play and play loud! Despite me using a single speaker, it had no trouble playing as loud as I wanted. My speaker killer track with deep bass and zero effect on it. Bass played as if it is no big deal producing a level of fidelity that I rarely see, err hear, in speakers let alone a budget one.

Conclusions
Out of the box the JBL A130 gets a lot of things right but leaves us with basically two resonances that are issues. Fortunately the peaking there is not as bad as it seems to the eye. As it was the A130 was more than listenable. Dial in the simple EQ as I did and this speaker outperforms many speakers. It has a fluid, effort-free sound with excellent neutrality that was a joy to listen to across all kinds of music. It simply did not care what I threw at it -- it performed.

I can recommend the A130 even if you don't have an EQ. If you can apply EQ, then the JBL Stage A130 gets one of my highest recommendations. It is a great example of how we can fix one or two minor flaws in a speaker with EQ and create a hybrid solution that is nearly untouchable in its price range or even higher.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Had stored the last batch of Japanese shishito peppers saved up and figured I make a snack out of them:
View attachment 98303

With a touch of lemon juice, soy sauce and salt they were wonderful as always. Normally you only see them in green but I left them on the plants for too long and tehy turned red/orange and a bit sweeter. Yum!!!

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I got the JBL Stage130A too and they sound great. I would love to try out the IQ settings but since i listen to music via spotify (mostly with my iphone) i don't know how to integrate a good EQ. Is there any possibility to integrate an EQ to try out those recommended settings? Or should i use the EQ of spotify and just pull down 1khz by 3db? That should at least help a bit, right?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the JBL Stage130A too and they sound great. I would love to try out the IQ settings but since i listen to music via spotify (mostly with my iphone) i don't know how to integrate a good EQ. Is there any possibility to integrate an EQ to try out those recommended settings? Or should i use the EQ of spotify and just pull down 1khz by 3db? That should at least help a bit, right?

Do you listen on a windows desktop or via your phone?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
mostly with my phone. Sometimes with a windows laptop

With your phone I would just use the Spotify Equalizer and drag the 1KHz and 2.4KHz sliders down till it female vocals feel neutral.

On Windows I would download Equalizer APO and then import @Maiky76 pre-made settings on page 1 or 2 of this thread. Fairly straight forward

Ralferator

With your phone I would just use the Spotify Equalizer and drag the 1KHz and 2.4KHz sliders down till it female vocals feel neutral.

On Windows I would download Equalizer APO and then import @Maiky76 pre-made settings on page 1 or 2 of this thread. Fairly straight forward

Thank you!
But isn't 2,4khz too high to pull down. Since amir pulls down at 870hz and 1,325khz i thought that to pull down 1khz makes more sense?
How do i integrate the Equalizer APO with Spotify? Or is it "global" for all my computer sounds?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you!
But isn't 2,4khz too high to pull down. Since amir pulls down at 870hz and 1,325khz i thought that to pull down 1khz makes more sense?
How do i integrate the Equalizer APO with Spotify? Or is it "global" for all my computer sounds?

Equalizer APO is global, any audio that goes through the windows will be effected.

and yeah it seems in the PIR the resonances at 2KHz are neutralized, experiment with it.

once you get the windows version hooked up and going you can A/B them and through trial and error get similar results on your phone.

Ralferator

Equalizer APO is global, any audio that goes through the windows will be effected.

and yeah it seems in the PIR the resonances at 2KHz are neutralized, experiment with it.

once you get the windows version hooked up and going you can A/B them and through trial and error get similar results on your phone.

Ah cool - i will try APO then and maybe just listen more with my laptop. Thank you!

muad

Thanks for everyone's feedback, didn't mean to start a riot about the resonances. Although the DI isn't as flat as the studio 530, it's not bad. Plus the distortion is excellent, and it's off axis performance is damn good.

In the end my dad decided to get the a130, since the 530 is bigger and crazy looking... Go figure :)

Ralferator

I am still having problems to understand how APO Equalizer works. Do i just have to chose the Bluetooth-Amplifier in the configurator and then open the Editor and load the pre-made settings and that's it? Or do i have to activate the EQ somehow? Is there a button to turn the EQ on and off to compare? I can't find it

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still having problems to understand how APO Equalizer works. Do i just have to chose the Bluetooth-Amplifier in the configurator and then open the Editor and load the pre-made settings and that's it? Or do i have to activate the EQ somehow? Is there a button to turn the EQ on and off to compare? I can't find it

yes, configure the interface and then include the setting file in config.txt

Ralferator

yes, configure the interface and then include the setting file in config.txt

just one more question. Did i understand it right that the EQ Score is made for slightly toed in speakers or is it for leaving the speakers straight and not toeing them in at all? And the EQ LW is for the speakers pointing directly at the listening position? Do you know?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
just one more question. Did i understand it right that the EQ Score is made for slightly toed in speakers or is it for leaving the speakers straight and not toeing them in at all? And the EQ LW is for the speakers pointing directly at the listening position? Do you know?

I would use LW for nearfield listening and Score for far field listening.

Presently42

I've tried all of the eq profiles in this thread. The best thing to do, is try them all and use the one that sounds best to you. It doesn't take long, and hearing the differences is fun!

Ralferator

I've tried all of the eq profiles in this thread. The best thing to do, is try them all and use the one that sounds best to you. It doesn't take long, and hearing the differences is fun!

I already like the EQ Score setting so much i can't believe it could go any better, absolutely clear and without anything annoying or stressing.

Did you try all of the eq settings? And which ones do you prefer? Is there a possibility to switch back and forward between the settings?

muad

I already like the EQ Score setting so much i can't believe it could go any better, absolutely clear and without anything annoying or stressing.

Did you try all of the eq settings? And which ones do you prefer? Is there a possibility to switch back and forward between the settings?
What's the EQ score setting?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

you can turn off a particular settings (e.g inclusion) by pressing the off button.

so if you're fast enough you can A/B the two configuration files.

Presently42

I have indeed tried all of the eq settings, and I seemingly prefer Maiky76's LW one - but only slightly; and only just. I'm now using a set of my own, informed by this post by member flipflop. It's terribly similar, but does not use the high-pass filter Maiky76's use. Whether or not this is wise remains to be seen. I don't listen terribly loudly, so distortion doesn't seem to be much of an issue

Top Bottom