• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

YSC

Major Contributor
The bass peak at 50hz is the place where I remember it’s not as flat, and tbh, when one opt for the 80 the main reason besides money saving at the performance needed is size, but when you need the extra space savings I bet you won’t remotely need that loud

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose the KH80DSP over the KH120A for these reasons, in decreasing importance:
1. I wanted to downsize and the KH80DSP size is perfect for my needs (31% smaller volume than KH120A).
2. Higher linearity.
3. In nearfield, the KH80DSP goes louder than I need, so no need to have even more headroom with the KH120A.
4. Price of the KH120A is 40% higher.
5. Even though I don't use the onboard DSP of the KH80DSP, as I do EQ in the PC, it is nice to have.
6. Lower power consumption.

PO3c

Anyone have insight to the command set to control EQ settings for the KH 80?

I want to do EQ adjustments from a Windows computer and don't mind sending commands from the terminal if that is an option.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Play music on the KH80, then play it on the KH120. The HK80 vibrates like crazy compared to the metal chassis 120.
There is no sign of that in the measurements done by Amir or S&R. You can see it in the frequency response. Or, more clearly, in this spectral decay:
1623950043568.png

https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitore-neumann-kh-80-dsp-die-messdaten/

I remember reading that certain Neumann units were affected by buzzing and had to be returned. It was to do with the plastic clasps holding the back of the KH80. Your unit might have been one of those.

D

Deleted member 12642

I don't care what the spectral says, I had both them in my hands at one point. Mine were sealed fine. I don't know what to tell ya, the KH80 just resonate and you can feel it. The 120's comparatively transfer almost nothing to the cabinet. Knock test is night and day. The top and sides resonate at distinctly different frequencies.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Play music on the KH80, then play it on the KH120. The HK80 vibrates like crazy compared to the metal chassis 120.

This is where a sub would really help mitigate that if present. Listen to some test tones/bursts/sweeps and gradually change the slope and frequency of the xo to find where the audible resonance stops and begins.

D

Deleted member 12642

This is where a sub would really help mitigate that if present. Listen to some test tones/bursts/sweeps and gradually change the slope and frequency of the xo to find where the audible resonance stops and begins.

You can feel vibrations in the cabinet all the way up to like 700hz - 1k, so not likely.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
KH80 is inferior to KH120 anyway you look at it, the price difference is just too small.
Oh and the KH120 sound huge compared to their size, I was blown away each time i listened to them when i owned them.
I really doubt the Kh80 would sound as "big"

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KH80 is inferior to KH120 anyway you look at it, the price difference is just too small.
Oh and the KH120 sound huge compared to their size, I was blown away each time i listened to them when i owned them.

it’s the best speaker for the money no doubt.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my view Amir's data for KH80 sample 3 is close to perfect, for example the XO region @1800Hz is textbook symetric strait forward beaming Linkwitz Riley and so beautiful excuted, especially if compared to any other non coxial arrays Amir has analyzed. Now if KH80 is not someones cup of tea because of resonances from cabinet the colour or whatever then feel free get something else, but please notice from Amir's analyzed arsenal you wont find any performer that have the transducers physical spaced apart that deliver so perfect a short error area and symetrical XO region :)..imagine if someone team it with a 6-8 incher @200Hz within 1/8 wavelenght and then a sub that they get a perfect system for okay costs..

All data below is extracted using Amir's spindata (Thanks alot):

XO_beam.png

006_Neumann_KH_80_2.png

D

Deleted member 12642

Do you have some sort of point you're trying to make?

D

Deleted member 12642

*They don't sound as good to you. I think that's an important distinction.

It's a sentiment mirrored by just about everyone who has heard both, but yeah no shit guys of course my thoughts on the speakers are my opinion...

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If one has a sub and is nearfield, this is up there with the Genelec 8341 and 8351, arguably the best we've seen.

Well, while we're being subjective, I still prefer the KH80 + sub to most of the speakers I've reviewed and measured on their own. I'd 100% take the KH80+sub over the Genelec 8341As sans sub, and though I only briefly compared them side by side, I did spend forever listening to both speakers independently. Both with sub its a tossup if you have enough headroom for your tastes and setup. Maybe a small edge to the 8341As, but it's a blip.

I've extensively measured and listened to too many speakers in different environments to think there are clear cut 'better' speakers at this level of performance. Small tweaks in placement, listening in a different room can alter your picture of a speaker, especially if not doing direct comparisons with other speakers. The 8341A, for example, is fantastic, one of the best speakers I ever heard, but it also wasn't magic compared to other very flat speakers. It was just a speaker with few flaws. Which is exactly what a good speaker is.

Once bass is accounted for, and assuming both speakers are within their headroom comfort zone (which admittedly can be ambiguous), I'm willing to bet 90% of what people end up preferring has to do with minor differences in directivity and its interaction with your room.

Top Bottom