• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I've had a bit of time to experiment with Auro, etc, curious which speakers you're describing here to correlate with what I'm experiencing? I swear you had posted a video at some point but I can't find it in your history

I don’t follow the question. I also doubt I posted a video.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t follow the question. I also doubt I posted a video.

sorry, that's my long-winded way of asking exactly what speakers you're using/referring to in your previous post?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My friend's speaker was returned and mine arrived brand new. I played mine around 20 hours with lots of electronic music (bass heavy) and redid the MMM UMIK-1 measurement. In the same exact position, bass was surprisingly different, while the general trend of mids and high treble remained the same.

L.jpg
R.jpg

I'd be happy to see 'driver components near field' measurement added; curious both about drivers and possible port resonance

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If we have an ADC and DAC inside the KH80DSP, why doesn't Neumann enable AES-EBU digital input on the monitors like Kii does? Should be just a firmware update!

201600160_4362104763821220_4133918649190219745_n.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it would drive up the cost and there is no audible benefit
Cost is the same as there is already all the AD/DA conversion inside. Audibility is questionable, I would rather have 1 less DA to AD conversion is possible.

YSC

Major Contributor
actually for myself I rarely recall any source uses AES/EBU output... at least not most consumer dacs don't seems to provide that..

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
actually for myself I rarely recall any source uses AES/EBU output... at least not most consumer dacs don't seems to provide that..
It is usually associated with studios indeed. But if the Neumann's are studio monitors, it is a match in market. And if it is only a firmware "switch" to enable/disable digital input, or better yet auto-sensing, than it is not one or the other.... but both!

For example, we could use an RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE: it has XLR analog outputs, AES-EBU digital outputs and headphone amps for 2k usd.

750-ADI2ProFSRBE_detail1.jpg

Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cost is the same as there is already all the AD/DA conversion inside.
I agree with you, but don't think it is that simple. The board they are using may not support this. And, I believe I read that there is more to it than "just enabling" a digital input. But others will have to explain the engineering involved. It probably involves all of the different bitrates and sampling frequencies that someone might try to input.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least the KH750 DSP has a digital input (BNC, 75 ohm, supports SPDIF and AES/EBU, but needs an additional converter like the Neutrik NADIT BNC-F if you want to use AES/EBU via XLR).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I must wonder why isn't the cabinet made out of aluminum like the KH120
It's somewhat of a deal breaker

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I've been wondering about that myself

The KH80 has an 8 band PEQ built in, which you can use via a free iPad app or you could couple it with the 250 Euro MA 1 automatic alignment system. For the KH120 this is only possible if you also connect a KH750 DSP subwoofer.
Also the KH80 is significantly smaller than the KH120 which comes handy if you want them very close to you and the computer display on a small desk.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
seems like the 80 is flatter but for SPL or bass extension you still would want a KH120, unless you go directly with the subwoofer

flatter is a big big word here.

1623927542761.png

considering that the 120 can do 100 dBSPL above 100 Hz while maintaining below 1% THD, while the 80 struggles way way below that level it really bafles me that people wouldn't pay the extra ~300$ for the 120.

Top Bottom