• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
All (and especially those in the DAC design business):

I asked @JohnYang1997 yesterday, now broadening my query...

Do the audio DACs (chips and/or designs) have internal "digital loopback" capability? Where the outbound PCM sample stream is pushed through the FIR filter stage (to its 'final raw form' that controls the DAC) and then can be looped-back to the local baseband interface? Where it can be captured and analyzed?

This test 'trick' is widely used in the RF modem designs, I wonder if there is something similar here?
DACs mostly don't.
But if you have everything on hand you can do the capture.
The filtering can be done in different stages, mostly it's in the DAC. Some does it in XMOS DSP.

KSTR

Major Contributor
All (and especially those in the DAC design business):

I asked @JohnYang1997 yesterday, now broadening my query...

Do the audio DACs (chips and/or designs) have internal "digital loopback" capability? Where the outbound PCM sample stream is pushed through the FIR filter stage (to its 'final raw form' that controls the DAC) and then can be looped-back to the local baseband interface? Where it can be captured and analyzed?

This test 'trick' is widely used in the RF modem designs, I wonder if there is something similar here?
No. That would require a huge amount of bandwidth. The digital filter ususally operates at 8x or 16x the input sample rate because that's the whole idea of it ;-)
index.php

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This whole thread is quite strange I think, and very infected by strong emotions. I have now read from the beginning (but not all the way to the end) because I wondered how it derailed and who actually said what. An early reaction was that I thought much of the criticism of @amirm was in fact unfair. But after a while it also strikes me that it's probably really about something else. The argument about MQA reflects that there are strong feelings involved in the issue of pros and cons of MQA. As I see it, the argument is on several levels. It's only partly about MQA and sound quality. But at the bottom I think there is a completely different thing that is about who has control over what. The most critical fear that MQA is ACTUALLY about something completely different than sound quality. MQA is considered a form of DRM and revenue generator that is introduced under false pretenses of being something else. It must also be said that MQA themselves have really managed to incite that kind of suspicion with their lousy misleading marketing, their secrecy and their often incomprehensible comments and explanations. Fair criticism or not, I think that's the way many have perceived Bob Stuart and others behind MQA. But if someone says then, we have Blue Ray, Dolby and several other licensed codecs, what's so special about MQA? I think you have to see the issue in its context when it comes to music. There is a rather sad history around DRM and copy protection, where large companies have secretly installed rootkits (eg SONY), when purchased CDs have not always been playable in all CD players due to copy protection, hassle in various ways with making things work. ETC. I think those who have been involved in music and sound reproduction and who have experienced this, sort MQA into the same category. This is why many are outraged at @amirm or others who declare neutrality. Being neutral is not OK when something is perceived as a threat. Hence all invective and personal attacks. Anyway. I think this is a bit simplistic at the bottom of this infected discussion. When it comes to music, unlike film, it has largely been characterized by open formats, or relatively open formats. All attempts to date to lock in music in licensed formats, or non-open formats, have been moderately successful at best. Companies that have chosen locked exclusive formats have, as I have understood it, in fact lost market share. Therefore, I think that MQA can only get really wide acceptance if it is done openly and freely, but maybe not even that helps. I see no direct benefits with MQA, and in the long run consumers are usually uninterested in technology that does not provide an obvious advantage. And the real HiFi nerds are such a small niche that it does not matter so much. Personally, I have no strong idea about the possible advantages or disadvantages of MQA, but I am skeptical. I'm very doubtful if it has any advantages, at the moment it clearly has some disadvantages I think, but it probably has no future, so MQA does not make me very upset. Especially not as I can now opt out of it by subscribing to Qobuz instead of Tidal.

Last edited:

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

2) The Phone Call

You implied that I put 'spin' on the phone call in order to make ASR look bad.
I did not. I do not know what your moderator has told you about the content of that call but I am not 'spinning' things in the slightest when I say that the phone call was made specifically to request that I make a new thread on MQA so that the old one could be closed and criticism of you censored.
The moderator said that you were receiving extensive criticism for your pro-MQA statements and that he wanted both you and ASR to move to a more neutral position. I agreed, I think that the discussion platform and its owner remaining neutral would be a good thing.

He then said that in the new thread, any comments criticising you would be removed and that people would not be allowed to discuss your past comments.
I said that I did not agree with this. If you do not want to be criticised, you should not make public statements about something, especially a seemingly quite controversial issue like MQA. No one should be immune from criticism regardless of position.

Honestly, I don't find that too unreasonable overall. If Amir was going to remove himself from the conversation in a new thread, it only makes sense that others should not be allowed to crucify him in absentia, so to speak.

At the very least, this puts paid to the "shilling for MQA" conspiracy theory - he'd be a pretty poor shill offering to drop the subject altogether.

jensgk

Forum Donor
i believe i have already pointed this out, but i think its a given that marketing is going to embellish the product in some way. after all everyone wants to sell their product and claim their product is the bestest.

i hardly think MQA is unique in this regard.
Here on ASR, products are slammed if they claim 90db SINAD, but only performs to 75db.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
DACs mostly don't.
But if you have everything on hand you can do the capture.
The filtering can be done in different stages, mostly it's in the DAC. Some does it in XMOS DSP.

I have access to and the capability to program a number of modem - FPGA/SoC plus DAC - development boards. At any bandwidth relevant here (and beyond). Mostly Xilinx (eg, large UltraScale+) with Vivado tools (and GHz-class DACs). If I'd get access to a [MQA] decoder SW (FW), I can do pretty much anything with it, very quickly and efficiently.

I have no idea what it might take (or even if it is possible at all) to get the source 'for evaluation & analysis' purposes... But if there is anyone (@mansr ?) out there who sees the point, let me know and we'll discuss...

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm happy to take you up on this.

Let's say the Holo May vs topping e30 if that suits? Both measure >110dB sinad with no audible concerns raised on your review for the e30, will set the may to OS so that there's no inherent FR difference.

I'll volume match to 0.01dB etc.
Any other conditions or things you'd like me to put in place let me know and I'll accommodate them if possible. How many runs, any other checks, or detail the full procedure for the test if you'd like.

LOL this is the best thread. Just got even more entertaining somehow

Good job on taking up this challenge.

jensgk

Forum Donor
For a meaningful test, you should have done some research, understood the system's design intent, talked to experts and formulated a valid test objective, test strategy and execution methodology.
None of the tests here on ASR are that rigorous.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry, I do not understand that. What 'the same bits become high-resolution'? Can you please elaborate?
Sure. If the source is higher resolution than 16/44.1 (likely scenario), the MQA uses noise-shaping and subtractive dither to produce higher dynamic range. It can use subtractive dither because it is a closed, end-to-end system unlike CD (created by one system, played by countless others). Based on encoding setting, some of the extra spectrum can also be embedded in the 16 bit MQA bit stream. This is all documented in Bob's blog, albeit not in easy to understand package. We would need to design tests to verify how well this works and what the impact of encoding parameters are (likely a trade-off between worse quality unencoded MQA vs better quality decoded MQA and vice versa).

jensgk

Forum Donor
If the source is higher resolution than 16/44.1 (likely scenario)
In many cases documented here (including Neil Youngs experience), that is not the case. We don't know how many of the MQA files on Tidal actually are based on better than CD "masters", so "likely scenario"? Don't really know.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Exactly, it does not. It is broken.
No, it is not. If you put too much load in your truck bed, it will break the suspension and that is that. It is your fault for exceeding its spec.

After all, a good lossless codec would detect what is "below the trangle", based on the actual, individual piece of PCM sample, and just encode what is actually in that sample.
That's exactly what it does. And works if you feed it music with distribution of huge sample of musical clips. Feed it stuff that is not music, and what it does is generate errors and create something. It is your job as an operator to examine what is going on and deal with it. One option would be to not encoded it in MQA. Another would be to change its sample rate. Or filter. That is why they provide a tool to mastering houses.

If there are any violations, it would be handled gracefully, and encoded losslessly, maybe not compressed anymore, but it would be done.
I don't know what you are talking about. MQA's output is constant bit rate unlike FLAC. It has to generate either 24/48 kHz or 24/44.1 kHz. Unlike Flac that can spit out massive files if it can't compress something, MQA has to fit things in that budget. It can do so for huge library of music. If it can't, then it can't.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In many cases documented here (including Neil Youngs experience), that is not the case. We don't know how many of the MQA files on Tidal actually are based on better than CD "masters", so "likely scenario"? Don't really know.
Question has nothing to do with Tidal. It was about mastering MQA CDs. Physical media at mandated 16 bits, not the normal 24-bit files MQA produces for online distribution in Tidal.

As to Neil Young, I don't care what he said. He didn't conduct any controlled test to show that his content had degraded, or even changed.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
No. That would require a huge amount of bandwidth. The digital filter ususally operates at 8x or 16x the input sample rate because that's the whole idea of it ;-)

I hear you... Yet, while not available in commercial digital-audio implementations, this - the huge amount of bandwidth (processing and communication) - can be arranged, see my post above... Let's all think about if/how we can orchestrate this.

jensgk

Forum Donor
MQA's output is constant bit rate unlike FLAC. It has to generate either 24/48 kHz or 24/44.1 kHz. Unlike Flac that can spit out massive files if it can't compress something, MQA has to fit things in that budget. It can do so for huge library of music. If it can't, then it can't.
So their premise is broken. It cannot be lossless, or better than lossless. Broken.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So their premise is broken. It cannot be lossless, or better than lossless. Broken.
Are you listening to explanations or just repeating talking points? Whoever is doing the encoding is a mastering engineer with many tools. If the entropy of the file is too high, he can reduce that, so that what is encoded in MQA fits.

If you feed it a full spectrum of random noise to 44 kHz, no, it can't encode that, nor is it broken since their customers are not asking for such an application.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Question has nothing to do with Tidal.
A lot of these discussion are about Tidal and its use of MQA.

As to Neil Young, I don't care what he said. He didn't conduct any controlled test to show that his content had degraded, or even changed.
He didn't need to. He found out that the MQA files where not masters, and were not "as the artist intended".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom