• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what amount of processing quality improvements the more expensive models achieve versus supplying more channels of amplification with higher power outputs?

Can the difference between using the X8500/X6700 to power all of the speakers versus using the X4700/X3700 with an external 3 (or 5) channel amplifier for the L/R/C (with surrounds) be heard or an inaudible difference in lab measurements?

Can the amplifiers for the L/R/C (and possibly surround) channels be powered off to achieve the mentioned processing improvements in each of the X8500, X6700, X4700, X3700 models?

Given your stated goal, a 3700 + 2ch L/R amp of your choosing is most cost effective and offers the highest objective fidelity. HOWEVER, it's unlikely these benefits will be audible under real world conditions when compared to any other unit in the AVR lineup.

Additionally, if stereo upmixing is of interest to you I find Auro3D is the only codec worth using and you need a 4700 minimum to get that feature. Dolby with center spread is OK and will also leverage front wide but Neural:X doesn't do it for me at all.

Worth noting since you mention a projector, 7.1.4 for Auro is somewhat incompatible with Atmos which is the far more common format for movies. You can compromise by putting rear heights at a wider angle but like all compromise it probably doesn't get you either of what you want (I've never tried myself). For that reason alone some people go to 8500 granting them enough outputs to wire all speakers and switch on demand. The 6700 can do it, too, but it requires an outboard 2ch amp to support all those connection. Still more cost effective than a 8500, though, given VTV Amplifier's crazy $1k price on Puriif EVAL-1 units for L/R.

I agree 8K is a long way off but I tend to keep things until they literally can't go on any longer so I aim to future proof every purchase. That's a different philosophy for everyone I suppose. I also plan on adding a projector once the 8K UST units hit their stride, probably within 3 years.

As another poster has mentioned, only the 8500/A110 can be configured to fully disable the amps on a per channel basis. With the other units, you can power off the front amps or all amps but nothing in between. Currently I use my 6700 in the "opposite" way most would while I figure out how I want things - onboard amps for Kef R-series LCR and active Neumann for surround - but I doubt I could tell the difference by adding a 3 ch. and switching to full preamp mode. my room is all glass, brick, and hardwood so I have far bigger issues to address before targeting the last ~10dB of SINAD.

Long story short, really focus on features when it comes to these units. Both now and in the future: how many zones, how many speakers, how many amps do you want/need to bring to the table, Auro, DTS:X Pro, etc. And don't forget to factor in room treatment to your budget, if your situation allows. Audyssey's respectable given how easy it is to use but it's not a cure-all and never will be.

WildH

If the price were the same would you recommend the Denon 3700 or Marantz SR7013?

WildH

Welcome Aboard @WildH.

Thanks Adam! Been a while since I've dived into AVR fun, but redoing a basement and am having some fun again. This user group seems so knowledgeable so thanks to those who are providing input and time. :) I realize my question above is maybe a bit broad, but I'm looking at replacing my Denon 3500 7 ch with a 9 channel AVR. I think for my needs the 3700 would fit the bill, but found a place where the Marantz is very similar in price.

If I'm not currently using and/or maybe don't plan on using it for 2.1 needed items, would this change the view on the two?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Adam! Been a while since I've dived into AVR fun, but redoing a basement and am having some fun again. This user group seems so knowledgeable so thanks to those who are providing input and time. :) I realize my question above is maybe a bit broad, but I'm looking at replacing my Denon 3500 7 ch with a 9 channel AVR. I think for my needs the 3700 would fit the bill, but found a place where the Marantz is very similar in price.

If I'm not currently using and/or maybe don't plan on using it for 2.1 needed items, would this change the view on the two?
Read the review of the Marantz compared to the Denon. You will find the Denon performed significantly better than the Marantz in Amir's reviews.

dukejackson

I am looking to buy an AVR deciding on factors listed here. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compa...x3700h)/usa/denon-avr-x4700h(avc-x4700h)/usa/

My main concerns are not power, but these listed extras?
D.D.S.C. HD Digital✖✔ 32 bitAlpha Processing✖✔ AL32 Processing MultichannelAuro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer✖✔ Built-InJitter Reduction✖✔Bass Sync

Besides Auro 3d which seems to be dead? What am I missing out on with those features on the 4700 vs not on the 3700? In layman's terms. I am also reading on another post about problem's with Denon's processor. I just broke my 1200, but had problems with it from the get -go. I was hesitant to buy Denon and thought about Yamaha 1080, but figured the xt32 was a nice feature over Yamaha? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Regarding xt32 it is much better than yamaha’s version. Auro3d offers a killer up mixer for music listening.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to buy an AVR deciding on factors listed here. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compa...x3700h)/usa/denon-avr-x4700h(avc-x4700h)/usa/

My main concerns are not power, but these listed extras?
D.D.S.C. HD Digital✖✔ 32 bitAlpha Processing✖✔ AL32 Processing MultichannelAuro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer✖✔ Built-InJitter Reduction✖✔Bass Sync

Besides Auro 3d which seems to be dead? What am I missing out on with those features on the 4700 vs not on the 3700? In layman's terms. I am also reading on another post about problem's with Denon's processor. I just broke my 1200, but had problems with it from the get -go. I was hesitant to buy Denon and thought about Yamaha 1080, but figured the xt32 was a nice feature over Yamaha? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Denon 4700 vs 3700 is primarily about Auro-3D. Many users are misinformed and don't understand you can use the Auro-3D on all stereo music and it sounds great if you have Front and Rear Height channels.

If you don't plan to have Front and Rear Height channels get the Denon 3700.

WildH

I ended up ordering the 3700 since I don't anticipate using Auro 3d enough to justify the price boost. World wide stereo has refurb units at the moment for a solid price.

As far as I can tell from reading, the 32 bit processing is something that you probably won't notice a difference in sound quality or performance?

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ended up ordering the 3700 since I don't anticipate using Auro 3d enough to justify the price boost. World wide stereo has refurb units at the moment for a solid price.

I would recommend ONLY buying New Denon receivers. My experience with refurb models is Denon concentrates on the cosmetic outside and does little testing of the receiver. Refurb Denon receivers also come in a less substantial shipping box than new units. It might look fine when you get it, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

In addition, if something goes wrong, Denon is difficult to contact, has reduced the number of service locations and your unit can be out for repair for 3 months. When my 4500 came back from warranty service it was physically damaged and in worse shape than when I sent it in. I had to wait on hold for 60 minutes to get Denon to answer the phone and even after they agreed to replace the unit it took another 2 weeks before it arrived. I'll never buy another Denon refurb. it's not worth the hassle.

WildH

I would recommend ONLY buying New Denon receivers. My experience with refurb models is Denon concentrates on the cosmetic outside and does little testing of the receiver. Refurb Denon receivers also come in a less substantial shipping box than new units. It might look fine when you get it, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

In addition, if something goes wrong, Denon is difficult to contact, has reduced the number of service locations and your unit can be out for repair for 3 months. When my 4500 came back from warranty service it was physically damaged and in worse shape than when I sent it in. I had to wait on hold for 60 minutes to get Denon to answer the phone and even after they agreed to replace the unit it took another 2 weeks before it arrived. I'll never buy another Denon refurb. it's not worth the hassle.

You know I thought about this exact thing quite a bit. I've had some mixed results with refurb as well but with other companies. I ended up using my amex for that reason which has the best return and warranty replacement. That cards annual fee has paid for itself so many times for me.

Out of curiosity, what went wrong with your 4500 and how long did you have it before it had issues?

dukejackson

As far as I can tell from reading, the 32 bit processing is something that you probably won't notice a difference in sound quality or performance?

I hate Denon. I love Denon. Wait do I have a choice with Sound United?, maybe if I want to spend the money on this Emotiva. I was really happy when my 1200 worked well with the advertised iPod functionality. I don't think technology on AVR is going to go anywhere unless they surpass the 3rd dimension somehow. That sounds nice regarding the Auro 3d with the multi stereo . I have Atlantic Technology upfiring Atmos front speakers, 5.1.2. No plans to add more speakers. I just thought since I have all mp3 I might as well try to do as much as possible to make them sound better. That is good to know that I won't notice those extra features.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know I thought about this exact thing quite a bit. I've had some mixed results with refurb as well but with other companies. I ended up using my amex for that reason which has the best return and warranty replacement. That cards annual fee has paid for itself so many times for me.

Out of curiosity, what went wrong with your 4500 and how long did you have it before it had issues?

I had the Denon 4500 for 3 months before the Height amp channels started crackling. I thought I had a good warranty behind the product with Denon, but when I started reaching out for places to get it fixed I found Denon had cut off repairs from most 3rd party locations. Denon recommended I ship it to Panurgy OEM. I didn't hear anything from Panurgy for over a month and it just got worse from there. I have bought lots of refurb audio gear and never had an issue. But I would never buy a refurb receiver again as they are sensitive to shipping and have too many features to verify quickly and easily.

Hi,
Does the 3700 can disable L+R or All amps, or can only disable all amps? I had the impression that it could only disable/enable all amps (not the L+R option).
Thanks

Golfx

Forum Donor
Only the two denon flagships 8500 and a110 allow all channels to be individually disabled.

Top Bottom