• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

dutchvc

Contact Denon and tell them your story. Tell them you got a lemon and want a NEW replacement. It would really be bad PR for them to refuse your request. There is no reason to have to deal with this. In fact, it's normal policy at Denon if a unit is repaired and still doesn't work when the customer receives it to issue a replacement. This process took 3 months for me but I did finally receive a replacement receiver. Denon will usually make good on a bad situation if you push them.
It's interesting; they sent me a new receiver the first time. So I was on my SECOND receiver when this happened. Just dropped it off for service, we will see if they repair this one or if they send me my third... I'm not sure if unit two was a refurb or what...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They usually replace with a refurb. That's not too bad early in the product cycle but now what you want is a NEW unit. I would certainly ask for it from Denon directly. You have an appealing story for a NEW replacement.

dutchvc

They usually replace with a refurb. That's not too bad early in the product cycle but now what you want is a NEW unit. I would certainly ask for it from Denon directly. You have an appealing story for a NEW replacement.
Just talked to my repair place (I trust them they fixed my Klipsch speakers and my bros turn table) and if they;re replacing they're going to make sure Denon sends a new unit.

dutchvc

Very interesting feedback from Denon's high level techs. The communication is long and complex, but they're basically saying with a receiver in the middle, you're bound to often have EDID issues with HDMI as the signal is being broken up in a way it wasn't originally intended. Which in essence makes sense, only I've never had this issue until this receiver. Maybe it has to do with HDMI 2.1 and the far more complex signal being sent. They are saying the best solution is either direct to the TV as I've done and earc back from the PS5 or to get some time correcting HDMI device. This seems rather bizarre to me that they don't design receivers with these things in mind. But this is also a very specific circumstance where this occurs so IDK. They're replacing my receiver anyhow because of the blown channel, but they will not replace with a stock as who knows why, but apparently bstock gets tested every function whereas a stock had limited to often little testing due to being released in batches. The emails are interesting and revelatory to me.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting feedback from Denon's high level techs. The communication is long and complex, but they're basically saying with a receiver in the middle, you're bound to often have EDID issues with HDMI as the signal is being broken up in a way it wasn't originally intended. Which in essence makes sense, only I've never had this issue until this receiver. Maybe it has to do with HDMI 2.1 and the far more complex signal being sent. They are saying the best solution is either direct to the TV as I've done and earc back from the PS5 or to get some time correcting HDMI device. This seems rather bizarre to me that they don't design receivers with these things in mind. But this is also a very specific circumstance where this occurs so IDK. They're replacing my receiver anyhow because of the blown channel, but they will not replace with a stock as who knows why, but apparently bstock gets tested every function whereas a stock had limited to often little testing due to being released in batches. The emails are interesting and revelatory to me.

B stock = refurb.
I call BS on Denon claim they test every AVR function with refurb. I know that's not what actually happens. :cool:
If you get a refurb you should expect to spend your time checking every channel and playing lots of music in MultiChannel mode to stress test the unit. It took me a good 4-8 hours to fully test every function and each channel config in my Denon AVR. lol

dutchvc

I will definitely test it for sure, and yeah, who knows that's just what the rep told me. Seems suspicious also. We will se, I shipped it out today.

jefny

I don't seem to have quite such complicated issues as you do but I had hdmi video switching problems with my new x3700 (I have 2 video outputs-one to an old plasma TV and the other to an overhead projector). There was no need for hdmi 2.1. Denon's response to me was the EDID issue to which I am not so clear of. I then replaced an older 40' hdmi cable with a newer and active one. The problem went away. Maybe you should, if you didin't already. upgrade hdmi cables.
jefny

dutchvc

I don't seem to have quite such complicated issues as you do but I had hdmi video switching problems with my new x3700 (I have 2 video outputs-one to an old plasma TV and the other to an overhead projector). There was no need for hdmi 2.1. Denon's response to me was the EDID issue to which I am not so clear of. I then replaced an older 40' hdmi cable with a newer and active one. The problem went away. Maybe you should, if you didin't already. upgrade hdmi cables.
jefny
I have all new cables, so that wasn't the issue, it's simply that the way HDMI is designed, when things get in the middle, it complicates things, especially now that we're going the VRR/ALLM method. What's maddening to me is allegedly these new receivers will support ALLM and VRR, but they don't really in the sense that they can time out while supporting them. It's more that they will support bluray well, but gaming systems with constant changing parameters, not so much...

john11

I've ruined any chance of returning my 3700 under warranty. I popped the hood and hooked up an external 10amp smps to the preamp, and a 10 amp smps to the input board, sounds much better with all that lovely clean high current power coming in probably doubled its value
Did similar with my topping pa5 II. Built a linear with 12amp toroid, nichicon kg smoothing capacitors. Replaced all caps with panasonic fm, bypassed underneath with film
Sound much better but warranty is well and truly ruined. Shame as i got a year extended warranty from topping for repeat custom

Top Bottom