• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

dutchvc

Nice. At moderate levels that the speakers can handle(how large are the woofers that will be playing full range?), having three sources for low bass(L, R, one sub) might end up optimal! And since you are in an apt its not like you'll be asking for reference level playback.
They're powered 15's in each speaker. So I can use a sub in on them, or use them as part of the full speaker array, which I'm doing the latter bi-wired. However one is needing to go in for repair as it's all of a sudden developed a 60 cycle hum which I'd previously eliminated lifting the ground and now it's back, so either somethings wrong with that speaker as i hums and the other doesn't, or else something wonky is going on.

oupee

Nice. At moderate levels that the speakers can handle(how large are the woofers that will be playing full range?), having three sources for low bass(L, R, one sub) might end up optimal! And since you are in an apt its not like you'll be asking for reference level playback.
Try disabling audyssey

dutchvc

Thanks all for your input. Changing the crossover points lower and adjusting the speaker sizes really made the difference. Definitely now sounds more like what I'm used to, still need to balance the bass a bit now it seems a little heavy, as well as figuring out that hum. The struggle is real!!

dutchvc

Also, a new note, All Denon and Marantz receivers built since may have fixed the HDMI 2.1 bug in case no one else knew yet. Mine is a newer one.

Jbrunwa

My new AVR-X8500HA has problems with Atmos audio. At random times it loses the Atmos signal creating intermittent muting of the sound for about a second at a time every other second or so. Restarting the source does not fix the issue. Restarting the AVR temporarily solves the issue. It happens with Atmos content from my UB-X800 Blu-ray player and my ATV4K Netflix, Disney+, and Tv+. I use only short HDMI certified ultra high speed Zeskit cables. I do not recall this happening with my 2020 X3700H. I am going to swap the 3700H back in to confirm. All AVR settings are as close to identical as the two models permit, as they have different amp assign and speaker options.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My new AVR-X8500HA has problems with Atmos audio. At random times it loses the Atmos signal creating intermittent muting of the sound for about a second at a time every other second or so. Restarting the source does not fix the issue. Restarting the AVR temporarily solves the issue. It happens with Atmos content from my UB-X800 Blu-ray player and my ATV4K Netflix, Disney+, and Tv+. I use only short HDMI certified ultra high speed Zeskit cables. I do not recall this happening with my 2020 X3700H. I am going to swap the 3700H back in to confirm. All AVR settings are as close to identical as the two models permit, as they have different amp assign and speaker options.

You might test with Denon 8500 Multi-Channel stereo mode and see if the issue still exists. This should tell you if it's an amp issue. If multi-channel works fine then I would try Auro-3D mode with the ATMOS source.

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

You might test with Denon 9500 Multi-Channel stereo mode and see if the issue still exists. This should tell you if it's an amp issue. If multi-channel works fine then I would try Auro-3D mode with the ATMOS source.
Thanks, will try. I didn’t know you could use a non Dolby mode with an Atmos input. I already swapped in the 3700H. So far no issues with the same Atmos content. But since the problem is intermittent I will keep the 3700 in for a day before swapping the 8500 back in.

Jbrunwa

Thanks, will try. I didn’t know you could use a non Dolby mode with an Atmos input. I already swapped in the 3700H. So far no issues with the same Atmos content. But since the problem is intermittent I will keep the 3700 in for a day before swapping the 8500 back in.
Just an update. I can’t choose Auro3d for an Atmos source. With Atmos content the only options are Stereo, Dolby Atmos, and Multi ch stereo.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just an update. I can’t choose Auro3d for an Atmos source. With Atmos content the only options are Stereo, Dolby Atmos, and Multi ch stereo.
Apple TV is notorious for audio sync and drop out issues. If you have another source, like a fire stick/cube or ROKU try watching the same content in Atmos using that alternate source to see if drop outs stop or persist. If they resolve you know it’s the Apple TV device/service. If it persists I would start looking at new hdmi cables. Certified. HDMI cable’s can go bad. So even if you have new certified cables, they could be faulty. Remote chance but still a possibility.

Jbrunwa

Apple TV is notorious for audio sync and drop out issues. If you have another source, like a fire stick/cube or ROKU try watching the same content in Atmos using that alternate source to see if drop outs stop or persist. If they resolve you know it’s the Apple TV device/service. If it persists I would start looking at new hdmi cables. Certified. HDMI cable’s can go bad. So even if you have new certified cables, they could be faulty. Remote chance but still a possibility.

thanks, but I get same behavior with UB-X800 Blu-ray Atmos content (Everest) and after swapping cables. I have 5 HDMI ultra high speed certified cables. I just ordered a different brand just to be sure. The X3700H plays Atmos without any dropouts.

AdamG

Forum Donor
thanks, but I get same behavior with UB-X800 Blu-ray Atmos content (Everest) and after swapping cables. I have 5 HDMI ultra high speed certified cables. I just ordered a different brand just to be sure. The X3700H plays Atmos without any dropouts.
If you only get this from one Blu-ray I suspect the problem is the Blu-ray. If it happens randomly on different Blu-rays then it’s the cable or hdmi handshake problems. A whole different bag of worms. Do you temporarily lose picture ?

Jbrunwa

If you only get this from one Blu-ray I suspect the problem is the Blu-ray. If it happens randomly on different Blu-rays then it’s the cable or hdmi handshake problems. A whole different bag of worms. Do you temporarily lose picture ?
No the video is unaffected, and the problem happens for both ATV4K Atmos content on Disney+, TV+, and Netflix, and blu-ray content on the blu-ray player, and the 2 sources have their own HDMI cables on different HDMI inputs so i am pretty sure I have ruled out the content as the cause.

AdamG

Forum Donor
No the video is unaffected, and the problem happens for both ATV4K Atmos content on Disney+, TV+, and Netflix, and blu-ray content on the blu-ray player, and the 2 sources have their own HDMI cables on different HDMI inputs so i am pretty sure I have ruled out the content as the cause.
Then it’s likely the hdmi handshake problem. Give me a second to look up the AVR reset and network reset procedure. This will normally resolve the problem. Another thing to consider is the power up sequence.

Jbrunwa

Then it’s likely the hdmi handshake problem. Give me a second to look up the AVR reset and network reset procedure. This will normally resolve the problem. Another thing to consider is the power up sequence.
Thanks. Just off the phone with Denon support as they did not respond to my online tech support request, they suggested to try a reset, and if that doesn’t work, to return for a replacement.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks. Just off the phone with Denon support as they did not respond to my online tech support request, they suggested to try a reset, and if that doesn’t work, to return for a replacement.
Here ya go. Do theses in order. Try each level of reset twice before moving to the next level.

Copied and pasted from AVS Forums:

“How do I reset the microprocessor or do a network reset?

When the AVR is acting up or doing something strange, try the following steps before resorting to a microprocessor reset:

1. "Restart" - set the AVR to Standby and press/hold the power ON button until "Restart" is displayed on the front panel.

If no joy, then ...

2. Soft reset - set the AVR to Standby and unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, then plug back in the power cord and turn ON.

If neither of the above resolves the issue, then you'll need to either do a network reset (if network related) or a microprocessor reset. You'll also want to reset the microprocessor before doing anything else if you purchased the AVR as an "open box" or demo/used/refurb unit to ensure all settings are returned to their original factory defaults. Prior to doing a reset, you can SAVE the config file to a USB thumb drive so it can be LOADed after doing the reset (SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE&LOAD).

Network Reset (“Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings are not reset)

1 - Turn ON the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Select the HEOS Music source
3 - Simultaneously press/hold the "DIMMER" and ">" buttons for at least 3 seconds.
4 - Release your fingers when "Network Reset" is displayed on the front panel.
5 - "Complete" will display when the reset has completed.

-------------

Microprocessor Reset (aka "Reset to original factory settings")

- Note: In some cases, where one microprocessor reset did not resolve an issue, doing at least 5 in a row did.

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Press and release ON/STANDBY (as you normally would when powering on the AVR) while simultaneously pressing/holding the "INFO" and "BACK" buttons on the front panel
3 - Remove your fingers from the two buttons when "Initialized" appears on the front panel display.

--------------------

Factory Restore

2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: "SETUP" and "DIMMER" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

--------------------

** NOTES:
(1) Prior to resetting the microprocessor, you can SAVE the config/settings (to include Audyssey settings) to a USB thumb drive using the SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE & LOAD setting.

‘Here is the direct link to the site and Thread: (Worth reading the first several pages): https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-denon-avr-x8500h-13-2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

Here ya go. Do theses in order. Try each level of reset twice before moving to the next level.

Copied and pasted from AVS Forums:

“How do I reset the microprocessor or do a network reset?

When the AVR is acting up or doing something strange, try the following steps before resorting to a microprocessor reset:

1. "Restart" - set the AVR to Standby and press/hold the power ON button until "Restart" is displayed on the front panel.

If no joy, then ...

2. Soft reset - set the AVR to Standby and unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, then plug back in the power cord and turn ON.

If neither of the above resolves the issue, then you'll need to either do a network reset (if network related) or a microprocessor reset. You'll also want to reset the microprocessor before doing anything else if you purchased the AVR as an "open box" or demo/used/refurb unit to ensure all settings are returned to their original factory defaults. Prior to doing a reset, you can SAVE the config file to a USB thumb drive so it can be LOADed after doing the reset (SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE&LOAD).

Network Reset (“Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings are not reset)

1 - Turn ON the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Select the HEOS Music source
3 - Simultaneously press/hold the "DIMMER" and ">" buttons for at least 3 seconds.
4 - Release your fingers when "Network Reset" is displayed on the front panel.
5 - "Complete" will display when the reset has completed.

-------------

Microprocessor Reset (aka "Reset to original factory settings")

- Note: In some cases, where one microprocessor reset did not resolve an issue, doing at least 5 in a row did.

2 - Press and release ON/STANDBY (as you normally would when powering on the AVR) while simultaneously pressing/holding the "INFO" and "BACK" buttons on the front panel
3 - Remove your fingers from the two buttons when "Initialized" appears on the front panel display.

--------------------

Factory Restore

2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: "SETUP" and "DIMMER" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

--------------------

** NOTES:
(1) Prior to resetting the microprocessor, you can SAVE the config/settings (to include Audyssey settings) to a USB thumb drive using the SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE & LOAD setting.
Thanks for all this

AdamG

Forum Donor
Power on sequence can also cause hdmi handshake issues. Handshake issues manifest as Audio and/or Video dropouts. Recommend you power on your AVR first, then each source device (streamers, cable box, Blu-ray players) then lastly power up the Tv. This also may remedy your audio drop out problems. Hopefully something above will sort this out for you!

Jbrunwa

Power on sequence can also cause hdmi handshake issues. Handshake issues manifest as Audio and/or Video dropouts. Recommend you power on your AVR first, then each source device (streamers, cable box, Blu-ray players) then lastly power up the Tv. This also may remedy your audio drop out problems. Hopefully something above will sort this out for you!
Thanks. I’m not sure if I can power off the Roku or ATV4K but I can try unplugging them and then Powering them on after the AVR.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks. I’m not sure if I can power off the Roku or ATV4K but I can try unplugging them and then Powering them on after the AVR.
I mean when you turn on your system every day. It’s about how the hdmi handshake works. You don’t have to unplug ROKU or ATV. They should have a sleep mode they automatically set after a predetermined amount of idle time. But it’s important to power up the AVR first, then sources if applicable and finally the TV. If you use a universal remote look for a method of arranging power up order. Power down order does not matter.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I noticed audio stuttering when using lg smart's tv disney plus app and it was very annoying and painful to listen to. I only noticed it when I switched to an atz 8k ultra certified cable. My previous cable was an elecom 4k premium certified cable, which seemed fine. Have since switch back to the 4k cable and no longer hear the problem. Not sure if u guys have access to the same brand of cables in your country.

Top Bottom