• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

dutchvc

Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading a TON on these posts about the 6700 vs 4700. I can get both amps at direct prices so I'm evaluating between the two. The 4700 is available now, 600 is delayed as probably everyone knows. I ordered the 6700 but it's waiting, and from all I'm reading, I think the 6700 might be a bit overkill for me unless someone convinces me otherwise. I primarily watch movies and play playstation games, listen to some music when I have time. I don't listen super loud (i don't think) as I live in an apartment. I have a 7.1 ch setup right now, all klipsch speakiers and a Definitive technology 12 inch sub. They've been around some time And I like and am used to the sound (KSP 400's for mains, c7 center channel, matching ksp 400 series rears and similar rears.) I've owned Denon amps before, liked them. I switched about 10 years ago to an Integra DBS 70.4 and now want to go the atmos/hdmi 2.1 route for my ps5 if I can ever get it (from what reviews and videos I've watched, I won't have the issues with this and the 2.1 problems due to denon and ps5 using same panny video chip, ps5 seems to work fine on hdmi 2.1 through it). I never really listen to the receiver at more that 64 volume level so not close to reference level. I simply can't and it gets plenty loud for my room at THAT level. I'm thinking that the 4700 will probably be great for me. I feel like I usually over purchase but I will be adding two more speakers for the atmos (Have to try to figure out how to set that up) but I'm just wondering if my thinking is correct that the 4700 is the way to go vs 6700. I don't need 13.2. I like the idea of a better built monoblock style amp, but don't know if I would get the benefit. I like the idea of better speaker connecters, center channel dialogue enhancement and dtsx pro, but again if I can't use theses things... and advice would be greatly appreciated.

amper42

Major Contributor
Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading a TON on these posts about the 6700 vs 4700. I can get both amps at direct prices so I'm evaluating between the two. The 4700 is available now, 600 is delayed as probably everyone knows. I ordered the 6700 but it's waiting, and from all I'm reading, I think the 6700 might be a bit overkill for me unless someone convinces me otherwise. I primarily watch movies and play playstation games, listen to some music when I have time. I don't listen super loud (i don't think) as I live in an apartment. I have a 7.1 ch setup right now, all klipsch speakiers and a Definitive technology 12 inch sub. They've been around some time And I like and am used to the sound (KSP 400's for mains, c7 center channel, matching ksp 400 series rears and similar rears.) I've owned Denon amps before, liked them. I switched about 10 years ago to an Integra DBS 70.4 and now want to go the atmos/hdmi 2.1 route for my ps5 if I can ever get it (from what reviews and videos I've watched, I won't have the issues with this and the 2.1 problems due to denon and ps5 using same panny video chip, ps5 seems to work fine on hdmi 2.1 through it). I never really listen to the receiver at more that 64 volume level so not close to reference level. I simply can't and it gets plenty loud for my room at THAT level. I'm thinking that the 4700 will probably be great for me. I feel like I usually over purchase but I will be adding two more speakers for the atmos (Have to try to figure out how to set that up) but I'm just wondering if my thinking is correct that the 4700 is the way to go vs 6700. I don't need 13.2. I like the idea of a better built monoblock style amp, but don't know if I would get the benefit. I like the idea of better speaker connecters, center channel dialogue enhancement and dtsx pro, but again if I can't use theses things... and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had this same question when I was buying my receiver. I went with the Denon 4700 and I'm totally happy with it. Your speakers offer a high sensitivity and will be fine with the internal amplification. In fact, if you don't need AURO-3D the Denon 3700 would probably do a great job for your usage. . If you ever want more power you can easily add external amps with any of these models.

If you do want the Denon 6700, they are in stock here:
https://listenup.com/denon-avr-x6700h-8k-av-receiver.html

The sales person Scott [email protected] cell/text 720.436.3942 says if you reach out to him directly he’ll knock $100 off the price. He might even give you a bigger discount - who knows. :D

Last edited:

dutchvc

Thanks for the advice! Seems like the 4700 would be a better bet for me than 3700 mainly due to aesthetics (silly I know but... we like what we like) and I don't like the idea of losing an HDMI input also (even if it's just on front). I don't think auro is a big deal... yet though from what I hear Sony will be releasing more 4k titles with that so might not be bad to have?
I just want to make sure I'm not giving anything up in terms of quality of sound. I think the denon will at least be comparable to what I have now especially as I can't get on it too much. The Integra, quirky as it was, I think was built pretty well.
As to the 6700 price, welllll shhh but I get them at cost soooo I'd be better off waiting I think. I appreciate that though!!

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks for the advice! Seems like the 4700 would be a better bet for me than 3700 mainly due to aesthetics (silly I know but... we like what we like) and I don't like the idea of losing an HDMI input also (even if it's just on front). I don't think auro is a big deal... yet though from what I hear Sony will be releasing more 4k titles with that so might not be bad to have?
I just want to make sure I'm not giving anything up in terms of quality of sound. I think the denon will at least be comparable to what I have now especially as I can't get on it too much. The Integra, quirky as it was, I think was built pretty well.
As to the 6700 price, welllll shhh but I get them at cost soooo I'd be better off waiting I think. I appreciate that though!!

I'm using the Denon 4700 with a 7.2.4 setup and it's awesome. I really like the Auro-3D features. The receiver lets you customize the Auro-3D presentation based on room size and other factors. I also like Multi-channel stereo mode. It offers an amazing wall of sound with the 7.2.4 configuration. The other benefit is dual subwoofer Audyssey support. This allows me to control each subwoofer independently or as a team. The Denon does run warm, so I use these fans and it really makes a difference. I set them on the lowest setting so they're real quiet while keeping the receiver cool. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC

dutchvc

That all sounds great! Sounds like a great set up. My receiver will be in an open air Bellogetti rack so would I need the fans?!?
As to two subs, I can't imagine I would need another, the klipsch each have built in 12 inch subs on top of my definitive one. But what do I know?

dutchvc

I guess my other question is, I'm looking to get the klipsch RP-500SA's for a pair of atmos speakers. Since My KSP 400's have a rounded top and I can't set them on there really, I would have to mount them on a shelf firing upwards, or mount them as a front Height speaker, but the 4700 doesn't support front height speaker... or does it and I'm thinking of the terminology wrong. Can I simply mount them front high and the receiver sees them as a standard atmos speaker just located in a different area? I'm a little confused by that aspect. Thanks!

amper42

Major Contributor
I guess my other question is, I'm looking to get the klipsch RP-500SA's for a pair of atmos speakers. Since My KSP 400's have a rounded top and I can't set them on there really, I would have to mount them on a shelf firing upwards, or mount them as a front Height speaker, but the 4700 doesn't support front height speaker... or does it and I'm thinking of the terminology wrong. Can I simply mount them front high and the receiver sees them as a standard atmos speaker just located in a different area? I'm a little confused by that aspect. Thanks!

The Denon 4700 supports Front Height and Rear Height speakers. It also supports them with Auro-3D which offers a great way to customize the sound.

dutchvc

OK cool! Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to atmos and even after all the reading and knowing a fair amount of stuff about this, some of the duplicate terminology is a bit confusing. So in your .4 system, do you have those shooting upwards towards the ceiling or mounted high shooting down towards you? And do you have them mounted to the wall if so directly or using pivot brackets etc.? Thanks again so much for the information!

amper42

Major Contributor
OK cool! Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to atmos and even after all the reading and knowing a fair amount of stuff about this, some of the duplicate terminology is a bit confusing. So in your .4 system, do you have those shooting upwards towards the ceiling or mounted high shooting down towards you? And do you have them mounted to the wall if so directly or using pivot brackets etc.? Thanks again so much for the information!

My Front and Rear ATMOS speakers are mounted 7.5 foot high on shelves I built to hang on the front and rear walls. The Denon 4700 manual displays various configurations that are supported. You may want to check out pages 12, 34, 35, 36 and more. A simple word search shows all the options.
https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4700H/NA/EN/index.php

11.png

Golfx

Forum Donor
SVS has some good info on their website regarding downfiring height speakers because of the success of their prime elevation. You could mount your klipsh high up near the ceiling and let audyssey work it’s magic.

dutchvc

My Front and Rear ATMOS speakers are mounted 7.5 foot high on shelves I built to hang on the front and rear walls. The Denon 4700 manual displays various configurations that are supported. You may want to check out pages 12, 34, 35, 36 and more. A simple word search shows all the options.
https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4700H/NA/EN/index.php

View attachment 120288
Thanks, that's all super useful! Like most apartment people I think, my couch is up against a wall, so my side walls are on either side of me, rear wall are above me. I don't have the exact luxury of having the space behind me that I wish I could so it's not ideal but it works. I may eventually look to get the rear heights and aim them down at me, but the front one are definitely on the docket for now. I'm wondering though according to these angles if mounting to the wall would work or if I'll need a bracket. Choices choices...

dutchvc

SVS has some good info on their website regarding downfiring height speakers because of the success of their prime elevation. You could mount your klipsh high up near the ceiling and let audyssey work it’s magic.
Thanks I will check that out! I was looking at those speakers also, wasn't sure how they'd mesh with my full klipsch set up however, it seemed like keeping it in the family, so to speak, was the best option.

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks, that's all super useful! Like most apartment people I think, my couch is up against a wall, so my side walls are on either side of me, rear wall are above me. I don't have the exact luxury of having the space behind me that I wish I could so it's not ideal but it works. I may eventually look to get the rear heights and aim them down at me, but the front one are definitely on the docket for now. I'm wondering though according to these angles if mounting to the wall would work or if I'll need a bracket. Choices choices...

If I was in an apartment I might consider up firing ATMOS speakers so I don't have to mess with the walls. The Monolith THX-265B look interesting for that type of setup. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34190
There are other variations as well. I found the Monolith speakers are of higher quality than I would have thought based on price alone.

dutchvc

haha
If I was in an apartment I might consider up firing ATMOS speakers so I don't have to mess with the walls. The Monolith THX-265B look interesting for that type of setup. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34190
There are other variations as well. I found the Monolith speakers are of higher quality than I would have thought based on price alone.
I'm not concerned about the apartment walls at this point, I've already mounted several things on them (my speakers, tv's in bedrooms blah blah) so that might be the way to go is to just mount it. I've been trying to attach a pic of what I'm dealing with in my living room but the file size is always too large. The other thing I was thinking about is, I've noticed my speaker wire connects are VERY heavy from my monster cable and always seems to pull down on the speaker binding posts on receivers. Hopefully that doesn't happen here. he cables themselves are very heavy.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Sound United should definitely be praised and applauded for excellent audio quality in their new line of AVRs. There is no doubt about it.

However, it may not be popular to say this, and I do not want to spoil the party, but their roll-out of HDMI 2.1 tech is a complete fiasco. They treated customers as beta-testers without robust pre-release testing of the only port they offered. The faulty chip from Panasonic Solutions has caused misery for thousands of customers who tried to use it either with Microsoft's console or with graphics cards. They have been waiting for a permanent solution for black screen and instability in moving images for almost 6 months now.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Sound United should definitely be praised and applauded for excellent audio quality in their new line of AVRs. There is no doubt about it.

However, it may not be popular to say this, and I do not want to spoil the party, but their roll-out of HDMI 2.1 tech is a complete fiasco. They treated customers as beta-testers without robust pre-release testing of the only port they offered. The faulty chip from Panasonic Solutions has caused misery for thousands of customers who tried to use it either with Microsoft's console or with graphics cards. They have been waiting for a permanent solution for black screen and instability in moving images for almost 6 months now.
Curious spot for rant. Are you also going to mention Anthem’s new release issues?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious spot for rant. Are you also going to mention Anthem’s new release issues?
Can't be done in a single post. Would need an entire sub-forum.

Technomania

Forum Donor
It's not a rant, it's reality for many customers and it shows the effects of immature and not sufficiently tested technology being rolled out to consumers who are treated as beta testers. There is no particular reason to pick on Sound United, Anthem or anyone else. The issue is much broader, it relates to HDMI 2.1 transition and engulfs several companies. This is how it should be seen. The fact that Sound United is in the spot light is because they were the first one to pull trigger on the new tech. Had there been anyone else, the same criticism would have applied.

Instead of calling my comment a "rant", it would be more useful to share objective information and ways out of this situation. If the topic warrants a new sub-thread, I am ok with that idea.

amper42

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't experience the 8K issue as I'm not a game player. I think the biggest improvement in the latest Denon Receivers is full "pre-amp mode". Previously, you had to buy the Denon 8500 to gain that feature. Bringing full "pre-amp mode" down to the 3700, 4700, 6700 models adds an amazing upgrade track for external amplification.

The biggest downside I see to Denon receivers is:
A. They are quite sensitive to poor handling during shipping.
B. If a repair is needed and the receiver is shipped to PanguryOEM the customer can easily be without the unit for 3 months -- while trying to navigate the disruptive process called "Denon Warranty Service". Receiver's coming back with more damage than they originally had and hour long waits on hold with Denon while trying to resolve the issue are not uncommon.
C. If Denon wanted to upgrade the product line I would start with FREE return shipping for warranty service and a guaranteed replacement if they can't complete the repair within 30 days.

Jbrunwa

I‘m not using an Emotiva amp, but I’m currently trying a Denon AVR-X3700H with my 11 year old B&K 200.5 amp, 200W @ 8 ohms, .08 THD, 95 S/N, 1.4 V sensitivity.

One thing I noticed is that the Denon amp is the only component in my setup with a 2 wire power cord and it generates a low level hum only audible if my ear is about a foot from the front speakers. The hum is eliminated with a jumper wire from signal ground to the negative side of the dc trigger out on the back of the Denon (Credit an audioholics thread I cant find at the moment) I had the same issue with a Marantz AVR so I assume this issue may be encountered with the whole series.

At lower volume levels below -20 dB I can’t hear much difference between the internal and external amps. In my 30 ft wide by 20 ft deep room with vaulted ceiling and 87 dB sensitivity speakers above -20 dB the external amp has greater clarity during transient peaks, but this is about as loud as I can listen to for any period of time when the source material gets loud.

Top Bottom