• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe you and @amirm can bounce the odd speaker between you to collaborate and lend authority to these ' home testing ' practices.

Trust is the value everyone seeks and if we are ( 'we ' as in objective measurement and inquiry folks ) wanting too sing loudly its best done as a choir rather than desperate voices imo.

Anyway congratulations on this brave purchase and thanks Erin for your contribution to shed audio science.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Congratulation @hardisj on the NFS. It is kind of nice having someone in the Southeast and Northwest depending on where people are sending speakers from. Just curious did you happen to measure the R3 using your old methods or are you waiting for the NFS to do those? I've been (im)patiently waiting for them to see how they compare to what we have lol.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Congratulation @hardisj on the NFS. It is kind of nice having someone in the Southeast and Northwest depending on where people are sending speakers from. Just curious did you happen to measure the R3 using your old methods or are you waiting for the NFS to do those? I've been (im)patiently waiting for them to see how they compare to what we have lol.

I'm waiting on the NFS. I would have measured it already but it's been too cold to do the ground plane measurements.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Congrats! Your v2.0 tests will be welcome and as a recent R3 new owner, I will especially enjoy the first one.

How about a “NFS unboxing” video as a starter?

P.S.: I just sent my small “anonymous” contribution ;-)

Reactions: 617

Jdunk54nl

I expect at least 101 speakers done in one year..... ;)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I expect at least 101 speakers done in one year..... ;)

BruisedIdioticKudu-max-1mb.gif

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Real talk, I've gotten a few donations today from you guys and I wanted to thank you publicly. It really means more than you know to have that kind of support. Besides the NFS, there are many other random things I need to pay for (like garage storage shelving now that the NFS will take up a lot of the storage space, a cover to keep it from getting dusty, and other random bits like that). The donations are a big help toward those things.

So, seriously, thank you all for your support. It truly means a lot and is a big help.

tenor.gif

Jdunk54nl

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
That's cool! But I've already ordered the parts for what I need. I'm just waiting for it to come in. Then see what else I have to get off the ground for me to park in there.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I asked @BDWoody - if it is not much trouble - to split this thread in to a new thread starting with my NFS announcement. I know a lot of folks don't read this thread and I have a feeling there will be confusion down the line when I start posting NFS data if the announcement is buried in this current thread. But if it's too much trouble then we will just keep on yappin' about it here. :)

I'm just mentioning this here in case he is able to make the split, so you guys know what's going on. ;)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It would be cool if @amirm would make an Erin's Audio Corner; ummmm, corner within this forum. Then you can post separate threads for each data set. :)

I appreciate the idea but I’m OK posting in this forum as I have been. No special treatment needed. Unless Amir just think it needs to be done for other reasons.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

Razorhelm

Awesome! Very excited to see your reviews with your new "toy"!

celroid

Congratulations! Will you be using it for subwoofer measurements? You are already the pioneer for subwoofer measurements with the CEA-2010 spreadsheet.

McFly

Very happy for you Erin. Been following your channel since I first saw you post here.

I remain a bit sceptical on the NFS’s ability to truly measure below 100hz and its ability to measure cardioid dispersion pattern speakers such as the DD8C. We still see big floor-standers getting outdone in bass by stand mounters. Perhaps multiple mics are be required to truly capture the measurements of a speaker that uses rear facing woofers combined with boundary loading techniques, say 2 mics placed in 180 degrees opposition to each other instead of the one mic? Also, the estimated in room responses should factor in some sort of room gain - who’s using these speakers outside? Anyway, just my admittedly uneducated opinion of the near field/anechoic technique.

Anyway, super excited to see read and SEE your work. Amir has been a revelation (no pun intended) to the audio community but IMO the power of the video platform is far greater. Imagine what you guys could achieve by working together!

Top Bottom