• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My golden retriever will handle that task. She will thwart any would-be attacker with her love and desire for belly rubs.

Hmmm... This sounds like a husky I know, although she also negotiates our security for rump scratching!

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If you want to offset some of the costs, you could consider doing evaluations of speakers for a fee. From, for example, small manufacturers or DIY people. Not sure how much business that would generate, but it might be interesting.

Just to be up front: I will not be doing any R&D testing of any sort for anyone. Paid or free. Period. If they want that, they can contact Warkwyn.
Not being a grouch. That's just not why I ordered the NFS.

With that out of the way...

With the NFS, I plan to only test production gear that can be purchased on the market (used or new). If a DIY'r wants to send his speaker for review I might be willing to do it. I mean, I have tested Dennis' BMR and Rick Craig's Purezza. But it will have to be something that is available on the market; not something they are hoping to improve via my measurement system. It would also have to be something I am personally interested in and/or be something I think would benefit the community (DIY, big or small manufactuer; doesn't matter). If it is and they send it to me and find it sucks then they are welcome to pull it and re-configure it. :) In fact, I have even tried reaching out to EricH about the designs found on DIYsoundgroup.com to see if they would be interested in me testing some designs and them using the data on the site. No reply there.

Thing is, I've been inundated with messages and emails already about people wanting to send me stuff. Mainly on Facebook. Kind of funny who comes knocking when they see you have an NFS... and mine isn't even in-hand yet. I can only imagine how @amirm feels. :D

Just remember, I still have a full time day job. This is what I do on the side, in the spare time I can make for it while still being a kickass father. LOL
Even though I won't be manually measuring speakers for days on end now that I have the NFS, this stuff still takes time. I do other tests besides just SPIN testing that requires time and energy. I hope people don't try to abuse my desire to help by expecting me to cater to their every whim or request.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Diysg has an established infrastructure for supplying good kits. I'd love to see measurements of the seos speakers and it would be a boon to diyers.

I'm glad you're setting boundaries.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Diysg has an established infrastructure for supplying good kits. I'd love to see measurements of the seos speakers and it would be a boon to diyers.

I'm glad you're setting boundaries.

I agree. I would love to support that community because I have been helped by many within it and know a fair bit of the guys who designed some of the speakers. There are many designs I am interested in as well. I don't even want to keep them because I wouldn't have anything to do with them. As far as I'm concerned, I'd just throw the cabs away or give them away to someone who wanted to pick them up locally. I will try reaching out to some designers at some point in the future but for now I am not going to overextend myself. I've already got a few speakers on deck that I need to test as soon as possible; once I get setup and the kinks worked out.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just to be up front: I will not be doing any R&D testing of any sort for anyone. Paid or free. Period.

Very smart. Imo committing to being someone's R&D department could oh-so-easily turn into a monumental nightmare.

It would also have to be something I am personally interested in and/or be something I think would benefit the community (DIY, big or small manufactuer; doesn't matter).

In something like this, imo everyone benefits when YOU do what you love doing.

For instance: I never would have imagined that I'd actually sit down and read a review of the Bose 901.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In fact, I have even tried reaching out to EricH about the designs found on DIYsoundgroup.com to see if they would be interested in me testing some designs and them using the data on the site. No reply there.

Thing is, I've been inundated with messages and emails already about people wanting to send me stuff.

EricH has been similarly inundated with questions/requests for a long time now and has had difficulty keeping up with the sheer volume. It's possible your attempt to contact him got lost in the mess. I'm pretty sure if he actually had a chance to read your attempted contact that he would be receptive.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EricH has been similarly inundated with questions/requests for a long time now and has had difficulty keeping up with the sheer volume. It's possible your attempt to contact him got lost in the mess. I'm pretty sure if he actually had a chance to read your attempted contact that he would be receptive.
Maybe someone knows him personally and can call/text him?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I hope people don't try to abuse my desire to help by expecting me to cater to their every whim or request.

Where's the D&D 8C review?

Imo we run the risk of ruining this for Erin by putting pressure on him to do what we want when we want. I'm sure you meant no harm, just sayin'.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ex coworker used to say "You can have it right, or you can have it now but you can't have it right now" :p

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Imo we run the risk of ruining this for Erin by putting pressure on him to do what we want when we want. I'm sure you meant no harm, just sayin'.
He released the "before the review" video 3 weeks ago, obviously my question has nothing to do with pressuring him, was just wondering when it was going to be released.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Patience ;).

After hearing that speaker a month ago or so, I'm looking forward to that review more than any other speaker review. That said, I'd actually rather him review the R3 first with the NFS. His first review on the NFS will likely be a learning experience as much as it will be a review, and thus will also have some aspects that could have been done better. Measuring the R3, and possibly even another speaker Amir has measured, will allow him to compare his results to Amir's and make adjustments to the machine and/or process. The 8C has a fairly complex radiation pattern, so I'd rather that not be his first trial ;). Better to get it more right than get it more soon, I say.

If you look back at @amirm's first speaker reviews, they're not as good as the reviews he puts out today, at least imo. Not a knock against Amir, btw. It's natural for anyone to improve with experience. Actually, I'd like to see a few of those (like the 305p) be retested with the improvements he's made.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

I didn’t take offense. No worries.

I mentioned it previously:
Well, I do have the Kef R3 on hand - which was previously measured by @amirm - and I had planned to start with that because the results are documented which will help me make sure things look reasonable. :)

I am sure I will have a learning curve but, yep, once I get the kinks worked out I'll be using this bad boy to test the D&D 8c. In fact, that's the one I am most curious about.

The DD8c rolled in around mid-October. The following week I reached out to Klippel to discuss the purchase of the NFS. I had been hoping the NFS would have been here months ago. But with Covid causing them to be short staffed along with the holidays, it took some time for everything to get worked out and for them to get back shipping products. Thus, the delay.

I really wanted to wait for the NFS to measure the DD8c. I did not want to use my standard measurement method for them for two main reasons: 1) blocking the side vents was going to present a challenge and potentially result in me not providing complete vertical spins and 2) it’s an expensive speaker and I didn’t fancy the idea of touching it about 150-something different times to rotate it, move it, set it up, etc.

TL;DR:
It’s coming as soon as I can get to it. I’m as eager as anyone to provide that data. More eager, in fact.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t take offense. No worries.

I mentioned it previously:

The DD8c rolled in around mid-October. The following week I reached out to Klippel to discuss the purchase of the NFS. I had been hoping the NFS would have been here months ago. But with Covid causing them to be short staffed along with the holidays, it took some time for everything to get worked out and for them to get back shipping products. Thus, the delay.

I really wanted to wait for the NFS to measure the DD8c. I did not want to use my standard measurement method for them for two main reasons: 1) blocking the side vents was going to present a challenge and potentially result in me not providing complete vertical spins and 2) it’s an expensive speaker and I didn’t fancy the idea of touching it about 150-something different times to rotate it, move it, set it up, etc.

TL;DR:
It’s coming as soon as I can get to it. I’m as eager as anyone to provide that data. More eager, in fact.

We need measurements of more dipoles and cardiods! Amirm has measured a lot of speakers, but few of them are designed for narrow directivity down to low frequencies, which is where most of the interesting design is happening these days. We should find some kind of synergy horn to measure as well, maybe one of the smaller Danleys.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
We need measurements of more dipoles and cardiods! Amirm has measured a lot of speakers, but few of them are designed for narrow directivity down to low frequencies, which is where most of the interesting design is happening these days. We should find some kind of synergy horn to measure as well, maybe one of the smaller Danleys.

Already had an offer for a Danley a few months ago. I didn’t say no. But we will see if it is sent to me or not.

Anyway, I’m open to everything. Just gotta meet my requirements I mentioned previously.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I would LOVE to see Danley SH50 measured. To this day, that's the sharpest and most precise imaging speaker I've ever heard, and I heard it blind. Don't really remember well enough to comment on tonality(which is why I'd love to see it measured), but the imaging really left a strong memory in my mind.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would LOVE to see Danley SH50 measured. To this day, that's the sharpest and most precise imaging speaker I've ever heard, and I heard it blind. Don't really remember well enough to comment on tonality(which is why I'd love to see it measured), but the imaging really left a strong memory in my mind.

Yeah in terms of dynamics and narrow directivity the Danley is state of the art, I just wonder if a detailed NFS will reveal any roughness or issues coming from the horn symmetry and so on. Doesn't exactly look like an audiophile product.

Ericglo

Are you going to retest some of the previous speakers you reviewed to get a feel for the NFS? or maybe test some of Amir's recent speaker reviews?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Are you going to retest some of the previous speakers you reviewed to get a feel for the NFS? or maybe test some of Amir's recent speaker reviews?

I don't plan on re-testing anything, no.

Top Bottom